JVC HA-RX900 or JVC HA-RX700 Help please!
Mar 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 43
+2 on the Phillips hp910s. I think its a great rock and metal phone. The bass does seem fast and is ample enough. They aren't a basshead can but they do well for themselves.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 43
The Phillips HP-910's will leak like a sieve... He doesn't want that.

Look man, go down to your local RadioShack and pick up a pair of AUVIO CH102 "Retro Stereo Headphones." These phones have the most aggressive monstrous bass I've ever heard from any can ever. No joke. They are not suitable for all genres of music without some modding but if you really just want to rock around the clock then these phones kick ass.

Oh, and when I say they have a lot of bass I don't mean that it is boomy and plodding like on the RX700's. No, the bass is clean and tight it's just that it's there by the truckload. These also have nice forward and detailed mids and highs that aren't overwhelmed by the bass.

Worst comes to worst and you hate them just return them.

I doubt it though - not for soft rock, hard rock, metal, punk, industrial, grunge etc.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 43
"ron13" I didn't realize you needed a closed type headphone for rock music. You may also want to check out the JVC HA-M750's, FWIR they are great metal and hard rock headphones. I am a big fan of recent offerings from JVC and I am a big fan of the RX700's for some genres of music. Just to let you know the RX700 and RX900 are what may be called semi-open HP's but they still do block outside fairly well. FWIR the M750's are fully closed and block outside better still. The Philips HP910 I recommended earlier are definitely an open headphone and sound can be heard both ways but they are still great rock headphones. The JVC M750 can be purchased for around the $50 USD mark, I believe JVC makes some of the best price vs. performance in the marketplace. Good luck on your quest. Happy Listening.
ph34r.gif

P.S. Just saw that Buy.com has M750 for $48.99 with free standard shipping.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think that?

I own a pair and they are sitting here taken apart for modding and I can see the little vents in them.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #25 of 43
lol I'm lying because... because... Wait, why was I lying again??? OH YEAH! I was lying so that everyone will believe that the RX700's are vented when they're really not! I'll fool you all yet! Bwaha... Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

25-2.gif

18c1059d.jpg

931c45bd.jpg

If you don't believe that they're vents look at the one in the top right corner - THERE IS LIGHT COMING THROUGH IT.

Failing that, buy a pair and take them apart yourself. Feel free to apologize at any time.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #26 of 43
Ooh looks like you guys got into a little argument. Its ok, I really don't mind so long as they provide some isolation. I am digging the 750s right now, they seem perfect with the folding design and everything.

@Olimoronio: These are the ones you are talking about right?
AUVIO™ Retro Stereo Headphones - RadioShack.com
Are they a closed design? I don't need them to be like shooting range earmuffs or anything but a little isolation would be nice. Also are they comfortable? I haven't owned any real good supra-aural headphones so no idea how comfortable they usually are. Do they fare well against SR60 etc? or are Grado's products much much better than these...basically looking for some comparison against other "good" Rock and Metal headphones.

Like you said, I can always go return them if I hate them for some reason, but it would be nice to know its comfort and sound quality in comparison with others before going through the hassle...I live pretty far from a radioshack so yeah.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #27 of 43
I own the grado sr60i, rx700s, and the m750s. the grado are the lightest. The 700s have good sound, but a little heavy. The m750s are tight,hurt my head after a few minutes(and i have a small head) and a little too much bass for my liking(but i'm 40 yrs old). Out of the 3 the grado are the best all round, esp. with bowl pads. But like others said they do leak sound.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
931c45bd.jpg

If you don't believe that they're vents look at the one in the top right corner - THERE IS LIGHT COMING THROUGH IT.

Failing that, buy a pair and take them apart yourself. Feel free to apologize at any time.

Calm down. The picture doesn't show vents, the groves are how it fits together, when the RX700 are on your head no sound will leak through what-so-ever. The main difference between the 700 and 900 is that the 700 is closed and the 900 semi-open hence the larger soundstage. Your recent rant about the Sony XB range is a good example of a semi-open headphone.

And I do own them, I'm probably partially responsible for you purchasing them the amount I go on about them, I also wrote up the ear padding mod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am digging the 750s right now, they seem perfect with the folding design and everything.

Ultrasone do some terrific sounding headphones but for those you really will need an amp, which while on the subject will cost $100-$200.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #29 of 43
Oh no! so now the 750's are out because I don't have a small head and comfort is the most important thing for me.

@graphicism: Shucks! I could fork over upto $100 for a good pair but an extra 100-200 for an amp kills my tiny budget. Looks like for my low budget I will be subject to a listening experience of only partial luxury!

Any of you guys own the Auvio ones from Radioshack? Any opinions on them?

I think I'll get the Rx700s, see how they are. If necessary I'll return them or sell them on ebay, still looking for a pair more geared to my genres but this should keep me happy for now, hopefully it will get me more interested in good quality headphones rather than the junk I have been buying in the past
redface.gif

Since so many of you guys own the RX headphones, are they well built or will they keep falling apart every now and then? I don't mind spending a little more for better pair with similar sound.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Ooh looks like you guys got into a little argument. Its ok, I really don't mind so long as they provide some isolation. I am digging the 750s right now, they seem perfect with the folding design and everything.

@Olimoronio: These are the ones you are talking about right?
AUVIO™ Retro Stereo Headphones - RadioShack.com
Are they a closed design? I don't need them to be like shooting range earmuffs or anything but a little isolation would be nice. Also are they comfortable? I haven't owned any real good supra-aural headphones so no idea how comfortable they usually are. Do they fare well against SR60 etc? or are Grado's products much much better than these...basically looking for some comparison against other "good" Rock and Metal headphones.

Like you said, I can always go return them if I hate them for some reason, but it would be nice to know its comfort and sound quality in comparison with others before going through the hassle...I live pretty far from a radioshack so yeah.

They are open in the sense that they have four tiny holes per side. They isolate really well despite this however. When I brought these home my girl put them on at reasonable levels and the sound pretty much dissapeared.

As far as comfort well that's something you'll just have to find out for yourself. I find they sound best when the rear of the pad is just over the rear part of your ear. They are not the most comforatable things in the world but they're not too bad either. Like I said you'll just have to try them.

And as for sound - it depends. If you're looking for a straight rock phone then I know of none better than these. If you want to listen to a variety of genres then any of the suggested brands would probably be better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calm down. The picture doesn't show vents, the groves are how it fits together, when the RX700 are on your head no sound will leak through what-so-ever. The main difference between the 700 and 900 is that the 700 is closed and the 900 semi-open hence the larger soundstage. Your recent rant about the Sony XB range is a good example of a semi-open headphone.

And I do own them, I'm probably partially responsible for you purchasing them the amount I go on about them, I also wrote up the ear padding mod.

Ultrasone do some terrific sounding headphones but for those you really will need an amp, which while on the subject will cost $100-$200.

First you tell me to calm down and then you go on and make it clear that you think that I'm either an idiot or a liar.

Look, the 700's are open, period. I'm sorry if this brings your world crashing down but it's true. Hell, if you'd simply do your research you'd know this. I knew they were open before I ever bought them.

Those VENTS look like grooves or whatever because there are flanges that cover them from being directly open. Look at the pic I posted again and look at the VENT in the upper right hand side. There is freaking light coming through that VENT.

Again, it's hard to see because they are partially covered but I have them right here and they are most definitely VENTS.

I'd suggest that you cease and desist on this line of argument because if you continue I'm just going to make you look bad tomorrow when I have more time to take pics. I don't appreciate the insinuations.

Once again, I have these RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE, open and ready to be modded and it is clearly obvious that you don't and never have.

Quote:

Oh no! so now the 750's are out because I don't have a small head and comfort is the most important thing for me.

@graphicism: Shucks! I could fork over upto $100 for a good pair but an extra 100-200 for an amp kills my tiny budget. Looks like for my low budget I will be subject to a listening experience of only partial luxury!

Any of you guys own the Auvio ones from Radioshack? Any opinions on them?

I think I'll get the Rx700s, see how they are. If necessary I'll return them or sell them on ebay, still looking for a pair more geared to my genres but this should keep me happy for now, hopefully it will get me more interested in good quality headphones rather than the junk I have been buying in the past
redface.gif

Since so many of you guys own the RX headphones, are they well built or will they keep falling apart every now and then? I don't mind spending a little more for better pair with similar sound.

Get what you like, but I'm telling you, the 700's are not good rock phones, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back