JVC HA-RX900 or JVC HA-RX700 Help please!
Mar 20, 2010 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

ron13

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I am completely new to head-fi...just found out about this.

I am not an audiophile but I'd like to get some good headphones that go over the ear surrounding it. I was looking for something cheap under 75. After reading some of the articles and such, I was set to buy JVC ha-rx900, but some people said ha-700 is much better. Do any of you own both? What is the difference if any?

From what I understood the 900s are more expensive and have better leather pads which are supposed to be more comfortable. The 700 is supposed to be more balanced (what exactly does that mean?) and they have uncomfortable synthetic pleather pads.

I don't play any video-games (which these are popular for) or anything and I mainly intend on using this for music (mainly metal, glam rock and hard rock). If not, is there anything similar to these two in the similar below 75 price range?

Anyways thanks for looking, hopefully you guys can help me decide and explain the differences.

I should probably mention that I haven't really bought very many headphones. The most expensive headset I ever owned were Koss-UR40 which weren't amazing but they were ok. I am new to this world of expensive, good sounding headphones so if you have any tips that would be great.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 43
If you listen to rock and metal, you should probably be looking at maybe a pair of grado SR60 or SR80.

I have the RX700 and they're not really suitable for rock or metal, and I'm sure the RX900 is really no different in that regard.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to rock and metal, you should probably be looking at maybe a pair of grado SR60 or SR80.

I have the RX700 and they're not really suitable for rock or metal, and I'm sure the RX900 is really no different in that regard.

I second that, getting a pair of SR60i or SR80i will be much better for your music taste.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 43
Just wondering but why so dead set on circumaural (over the ear)? If you can ditch that prerequisite then I have a recommendation for what may be the best damn phone for rock (ANY kind of rock) for the money ever.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 43
Another alternative would be to purchase the Philips HP-910, kind of hard to track down new. They did sell them on Overstock.com but no longer, found a few vendors listed on Bizrate.com. Great slammin' rock headphones with a much larger soundstage than the Grados and is usually quite a bit cheaper usually btween $45.00 to $50.00 USD. Also have great midrange and non-abrasive detailed high end. They have a very fast diaphram speed (IMHO) that is great for rock music music but I have not heard them to be an awful HP with any genre of music. Much better than RX-700 for rock music and I own both. Happy Listening.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is the RX700/900 better suited for?

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCount666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the RX700/900 better suited for?

Yeah I am curious too...anyone have an answer to this? They seemed good for rock in my opinion but I am not very knowledgeable
wink.gif

I haven't heard of this Grado but I'll look into it ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a difference between the two SR60 and Sr80 or are they like RX700 and RX900 where the bigger number is a little better?

I couldn't find the philips one in overstock but I'll keep looking anyone else use this headphones?

Thanks you guys for your help, I really appreciate it!

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 43
Actually IMHO I believe the RX-700's are better with classical music both large and small scale. Some of the better HP's I've ever heard with acoustic instruments. They do actually work well with some types of rock music such as progressive and folk rock but I still don't think they work very well metal or hard rock. They also work well with gaming with a very good deep and wide soundstage. Happy Listening.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 43
The difference between them is the quality, the The RX900's are the top of the line. The RX900's has better bass. And i never listened rock with them, just used for games.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 43
@rhfactor1: Thanks! that clears up my doubts, sounds like these aren't well suited for my genres of preference. I read up a little more and WOW Grado is apparently well known and I must have been under a rock
tongue.gif
. I am heavily leaning toward the SR80i but the retro look is kinda bothering me. I don't expect headphones to look great, but the ww2 look is just tacky. I should probably care more about the sound.

@earerror: Actually a couple of people were saying that the 700 have lower bass but overall more balance for music purposes. 900s are apparently more aggressive (again no clue what that means...I am guessing they aren't evenly balanced between the various musical notes) but they are way more comfortable and over all more "fun". I think neither of these will fit my musical tastes though since so many people say that these aren't good for Metal or Hard Rock.

On a side note, do any of you know about the Shure SRH-240/440? Are they any good for my genres of preference?

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ron13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@rhfactor1: Thanks! that clears up my doubts, sounds like these aren't well suited for my genres of preference. I read up a little more and WOW Grado is apparently well known and I must have been under a rock
tongue.gif
. I am heavily leaning toward the SR80i but the retro look is kinda bothering me. I don't expect headphones to look great, but the ww2 look is just tacky. I should probably care more about the sound.

@earerror: Actually a couple of people were saying that the 700 have lower bass but overall more balance for music purposes. 900s are apparently more aggressive (again no clue what that means...I am guessing they aren't evenly balanced between the various musical notes) but they are way more comfortable and over all more "fun". I think neither of these will fit my musical tastes though since so many people say that these aren't good for Metal or Hard Rock.

On a side note, do any of you know about the Shure SRH-240/440? Are they any good for my genres of preference?

I hear ya. The "low" end Grados look pretty plasticy. They still sound great though.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ron13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only tried the Shure SRH240's....they are not suited for any music genre...specially classic music. If you are planning to listen rock with them, they are ok...but if you have a headamp they can sound better!!

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 43
RX700 works really well without amping and is a great all rounder, same goes for the RX900 however those that have/had both say 700 for music, 900 for gaming. There are a few easy mods you can do to the 700s that improve the soundstage a great deal, something the 900s are slightly better at.

The Grados are a lot better for rock/metal but aren't as comfy and leak sound, something to think about.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 43
if you do get the RX700s, make sure you do the felt mod, probably the foam mod, and maybe a dampening mod. The felt mod is essential though, you're not going to get sufficient detail in the highs or mids for the grit of electric guitars without it. It's a very easy mod, thankfully, no tools needed. I personally enjoy them alot with rock since the bass works well for what I think is an under-emphasized bass guitar is much rock, especially modern, more popular varieties.

But if it's between the RX700 and 900, then I think there's no question. Get the 700. From what I've read, I wouldn't call the 900's bass "better", just "more". The 700s sound decent with any genre imo.

Another thing, the 700s are by no means uncomfortable, especially after the foam mod. It's not as high quality as the 900, but the vinyl isn't bad. I've worn them for over 6 hours on occasion, with no discomfort.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RX700 works really well without amping and is a great all rounder, same goes for the RX900 however those that have/had both say 700 for music, 900 for gaming. There are a few easy mods you can do to the 700s that improve the soundstage a great deal, something the 900s are slightly better at.

The Grados are a lot better for rock/metal but aren't as comfy and leak sound, something to think about.

Oh wow leak noise? so they won't actually reduce outside noise much, if at all right? Comfort is really important to me since I would like to keep them on my head for a couple of hours when studying or watching movies. I looked up this thread which shows the 700 mods, which was made by you. Are there any other suggestions for good headphones that suite my genres of music?

By any chance do you know if I can get different earpads for the 700? The 900 earpads seem to be more comfy or is that me worrying over nothing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you do get the RX700s, make sure you do the felt mod, probably the foam mod, and maybe a dampening mod. The felt mod is essential though, you're not going to get sufficient detail in the highs or mids for the grit of electric guitars without it. It's a very easy mod, thankfully, no tools needed. I personally enjoy them alot with rock since the bass works well for what I think is an under-emphasized bass guitar is much rock, especially modern, more popular varieties.

But if it's between the RX700 and 900, then I think there's no question. Get the 700. From what I've read, I wouldn't call the 900's bass "better", just "more". The 700s sound decent with any genre imo.

Another thing, the 700s are by no means uncomfortable, especially after the foam mod. It's not as high quality as the 900, but the vinyl isn't bad. I've worn them for over 6 hours on occasion, with no discomfort.

Hmm I guess I am not at swaying towards Grado anymore, they look bad and they aren't comfy and they leak...I would like some noise to be kept out and my roommate to not be bothered by my music. The mods look easy enough to do (at least all the ones that don't involve opening the headphones up). Thanks for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back