JVC HA-G770 a 28$ hd555 killer -lightning strikes again -sort of
Nov 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
ok thats mean- but i'm not a big hd555 fan despite their popularity.
manufacturers link Full Size Headphone - HA-G770 - Introduction

these are about the same size as a senn hd555/595. comfort is ok- has cloth pads (not velour). the wings on the headband are adjustable. feels solid enough but still cheap-ish.
next to harx700

large odd headband , cloth pads

close up pad and cup

gave it a quick 2 hr burn in. has good high notes, decent mids, decent bass. bass reaches lower than a hd555, trebles just as high but not as sweet sounding. more burn in might help. definately better highs than the jvc harx700 but bass not as strong.
\overnight burn in -bass has mellowed, highs less harsh
good for gaming so far. can handle a ton of bass. i would have to say unbelievable sound for 28$- doesnt 'feel' as nice as the harx700 (which feels like a real name-brand can to me)

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 17
"super bass sound reproduction" says it all :facepalm: I'll keep my HD 555 thanks
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 17
tried it with a fiio amp- the bass can be made huge.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mambo5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ummmmm? they look affordable at least
tongue.gif

I bet you had to think about that for a long time, I would have never been able to come up with such a nice way of putting it
biggrin.gif

But really, I consider the HD 555's to be the best bang-for-the-buck open all-rounder headphones. It's a travesty to say something like this could touch them. Not to be too bold, sure I'm willing to eat my words if need be, I'm not THAT much a Sennheiser fanboy
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet you had to think about that for a long time, I would have never been able to come up with such a nice way of putting it
biggrin.gif

But really, I consider the HD 555's to be the best bang-for-the-buck open all-rounder headphones. It's a travesty to say something like this could touch them. Not to be too bold, sure I'm willing to eat my words if need be, I'm not THAT much a Sennheiser fanboy
tongue.gif

i have had the hd555 or i wouldnt make the comparison. i am a senn fanboy and love my hd565 and loved my hd497, hd545, and hd280. i have tried many many of their models. i kept my hd555 for about a whole week. they just didnt compare to the higher end models or even audio technica ad series cans. the hd555 stands on the fence between 'real' senn headphones and crappy 400 series senns. the bass never reached low enough and the highs never reached high enough 4 me

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 17
Oh man, you gotta stop doing this! I jumped on the 700's when you first posted about them and could not be more pleased and now I'm going to pick up some 900's as soon as they get in stock. My wallet has taken quite a beating in the past weeks. But if you say these are as good as the 555's then I'll believe you. How well do these do unamped? And would you recommend buying these to complement the 700's? Oh and did you buy off Amazon, that's the only place I'm seeing them in stock. Comes out to $35 with shipping.

Thanks.

Edit- And how lightweight are these? I still have my Sennheiser 201's from way back and I assume these blow them out of the water. I still keep mine around because they are really light and easy to move around.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd555 is junk, a junk-killer isnt much to be proud of

I would take you seriously if you told us how you've reached this conclusion about the HD 555. Otherwise your post is just going to give a bad image of you. That kind of comments simply don't benefit anyone.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do these do unamped? And would you recommend buying these to complement the 700's? Oh and did you buy off Amazon, that's the only place I'm seeing them in stock. Comes out to $35 with shipping.

Thanks.

Edit- And how lightweight are these? I still have my Sennheiser 201's from way back and I assume these blow them out of the water. I still keep mine around because they are really light and easy to move around.

these do ok unamped, a small amp really helps. not lightweight, just a little less than the rx700. they are a good complement to the 700 so far-the sound is airier
got them from amazon
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. i dont think the hd555 is junk -just not great- it is competent enough but wouldnt satisfy an audiophile

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look very similar to my Sony MDR-CD 580s. And is this a semi-open headphone? I can't really tell. Hope these aren't better then the HA-RX 900s I just bought.

the cups are closed- but the cloth earpads make them open-ish, so i guess semi-open is a good description

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 17
Hmm.... So you guys are saying these are a steal for the price? I've got a pair of ATH-AD700's and a pair of Ultrasone 2500's.... wondering were these would fit into the set, but im tempted to try a pair of HA-G770's or HA-RX700's. From all the good things I hear about them, for under $35 on amazon, they both look like a steal.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 17
ourfpshero, care to give an A/B/C comparison of the G770, RX700 and RX900?

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s. i dont think the hd555 is junk -just not great- it is competent enough but wouldnt satisfy an audiophile

Depends how you define your personal audiophilia. For me, every audio product that manages to bring a smile to my face, for whatever reason, has some lovable property, which makes it worth it for me as an audiophile. Hell, maybe I'll find something in this HA-G770, it's just that I'm very skeptic
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back