JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
May 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #3,226 of 3,271
After a couple months with the JVC HA-FXZ200, I don't understand why these aren't some of the most sought-after IEMs out there. They are so silky and pleasurable to listen to. I can only assume it has to do with the inadequate stock tips (spiral dot didn't exist yet) and actual need for burn in, which I usually think is a load of hogwash.

Listen to ZES "Do it Again" or another liquid bass type electronic track and you will fall in love. I'm buying a second set in case these ever fail on me.

I hope JVC makes a successor. I'd love to see another Triple Driver earphone using a Kelton-method subwoofer unit (maybe even bigger than this one) paired with dual BA drivers for mids and highs.

Everything interesting they've made since has been dual driver without the subwoofer unit, wood with one driver, or lower quality basshead units. To abandon the amazing tech in the FXZ IEMs and SZ headphones because of failed marketing is simply tragic.

I should have a review up here on Head-Fi and over at Basshead.Club later in the week.

May 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #3,227 of 3,271
I still really want a pair of these. I've like all of the cheap JVC earphones I've tried so the FX and FXZ series are highly attractive to me. The only thing that's holding me back are the prices. The FXZ200 is currently $140 on Amazon right now. I still want to get my first pair of headphones before getting another IEM. Maybe one day...

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3,229 of 3,271
After a couple months with the JVC HA-FXZ200, I don't understand why these aren't some of the most sought-after IEMs out there. They are so silky and pleasurable to listen to. I can only assume it has to do with the inadequate stock tips (spiral dot didn't exist yet) and actual need for burn in, which I usually think is a load of hogwash.

Listen to ZES "Do it Again" or another liquid bass type electronic track and you will fall in love. I'm buying a second set in case these ever fail on me.

I hope JVC makes a successor. I'd love to see another Triple Driver earphone using a Kelton-method subwoofer unit (maybe even bigger than this one) paired with dual BA drivers for mids and highs.

Everything interesting they've made since has been dual driver without the subwoofer unit, wood with one driver, or lower quality basshead units. To abandon the amazing tech in the FXZ IEMs and SZ headphones because of failed marketing is simply tragic.

I should have a review up here on Head-Fi and over at Basshead.Club later in the week.
hello, I recently got the Sony mdr xb90ex and they are great for bass, can you compare them to the fxz200. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #3,230 of 3,271
hello, I recently got the Sony mdr xb90ex and they are great for bass, can you compare them to the fxz200. Thanks.

The Sony MDR-XB90EX hits a little harder. The JVC HA-FXZ200 has a nice liquid sub-bass quality. I prefer the JVC for bassy, laid back electronic music and the Sony for heavy-hitting songs. I usually use one before lunch and one after. Both are great.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #3,231 of 3,271
The Sony MDR-XB90EX hits a little harder. The JVC HA-FXZ200 has a nice liquid sub-bass quality. I prefer the JVC for bassy, laid back electronic music and the Sony for heavy-hitting songs. I usually use one before lunch and one after. Both are great.
thanks. Which one would you choose if you had to get one:
1-mdr xb90ex
2-fxz200
3-wooduo 2

Thanks again

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,232 of 3,271
thanks. Which one would you choose if you had to get one:
1-mdr xb90ex
2-fxz200
3-wooduo 2

Thanks again

Not #3. I've had two and they have driver flex/longevity issues.

If you listen to more rap than electronic or just need the most bass possible, XB90EX. If you listen to more electronic than bass, FXZ200. Then get the other when you can afford it. :wink:

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3,234 of 3,271
Thanks, the fzx200 will be my next purchase.
How about custom iem for bass?

I have no experience with customs. I've heard good things about the Lear LCM BD4.2, 1964 V8, and AAW AHMorph W500 but haven't used them.

The FXZ200 sound best with a small-opening eartip (Monster Supertips or NarMoo S1 tips are my preferred). They also made me believe in burn-in, perhaps because of the carbon nanotubes (they got bassier and less treble hot over many dozen hours).

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #3,235 of 3,271
I have no experience with customs. I've heard good things about the Lear LCM BD4.2, 1964 V8, and AAW AHMorph W500 but haven't used them.

The FXZ200 sound best with a small-opening eartip (Monster Supertips or NarMoo S1 tips are my preferred). They also made me believe in burn-in, perhaps because of the carbon nanotubes (they got bassier and less treble hot over many dozen hours).
I have used this tips from noble audio before and they are my favorite, they are very comfortable, until I lost them. Do you think this would work with xb90ex?

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #3,238 of 3,271
My first pair of IEMs were the FXT90s, and 3 years later (a month ago) I decided to get a pair of FZX200s. They're just as I expected them to be. The FXT90 is definitely brighter, or sparkling, sounding as many say, and this is not there in the FZX200, which I miss. To that extent, I utilized the 'Treble Booster' curve on my ipod 5g, and suddenly the brightness was there, very very close to what my FXT90s sound with the EQ off. I'm not an audiophile by any means, I just go by the "that sounds right" philosophy, and music played on the FZX200s do sound right on so many levels; from Dream Theater to Morcheeba to Grabbitz to the Crystal method.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,239 of 3,271

On the other hand, some would say that multi-BA earphones and BAs themselves aren't all they are cracked up to be (example). JVC's FX850/1100 especially, have gotten rave reviews, and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with gear priced into the upper thousands, according to some people (jay567; James; jwbrent etc). 

I personally would of course, also like to see a FXZ-200 successor, and I have little doubt that they are going to make one later when they do the sufficient R&D. They did after all, update the FXT line, which uses the dual drivers. Right now though, they are pushing the Wood line. Also looking forward to your review.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #3,240 of 3,271
I received my JVC HA-FXZ200, gave it a burn-in for roughly 40-50 hours, and gave it a listen for four days. I am very impressed with the FXZ200. In fact, It is the sound signature I wish the FXT90 could be.

The FXZ200 signature completely differs to its predecessor. While the FXT90 can be energetic and edgy, the FXZ200 is warm, dark, pleasant, and bassy earphone in a good way.

First I am impressed the deep and big bass of the FXZ200 that is not bloated like its bass-head brother HA-FR-201. The bass is so well separated it makes a live rock/metal concert sounds alive. The bass give more bass-guitar sound more fleshed out and full-bodied drum bass, which I like to hear from most metal / rock songs. 

The mid can be said as being natural - the FXZ200 is no longer having upfront mid-range like its predecessor. It has smoother and fuller mid; yet, I find neither vocals of female and male are recessed. Like the FXT90, the mid focuses on instruments than vocals but the FXZ200 avoids being sound too edgy. I prefer the FXZ200 mids as it is non-fatiguing - also, combined with the big bass, I find it very fun to listen.

Like the mid, the treble is also neutral, in my opinion. It is darker and duller than the FXT90 - in fact, it is what I wish for more pleasant listening experience. It shares similar characteristic like the FXT90 where it does not emphasize treble peaks nor being shrilly. Basically, songs that are deemed fatiguing when listened through FXT90 became pleasant with the FXZ200.

Lastly, it offers wider soundstage while retaining good layering of its predecessor. I believe the lesser upfront and edgy mid largely contribute to bigger soundstage; yet, the separated bass give better 3-D ness.

Bottomline, the FXZ200 is a huge improvement of the FXT90. The earphone is tuned for more friendly and fun signature, but those who want to seek an edgier and more analytic of FXT90 will not find it on this earphone. To me, the FXZ200 complements the FXT90 as it has completely different sound signature and I still love both of them.  

Speaking of isolation and comfort, it is actually as good as the FXT90. I've got good fit with the spiral tips. I drive my car while listening with this earphone without a problem. But it does not completely block a powerful noise like a vacuum cleaner or freeway noise though.  The earphone protrudes from my ears; therefore, I cannot recommend wearing this earphone for sleep.

The FXZ200 needs more volume than the FXT90 - the latter needs only 1 volume bar on my Sansa Sandisk Sport while the former needs about 2-3 to sound best.

The only thing that disappoints me from the FXZ200 is the cable. It is no longer as supple as its predecessor. Instead, the FXZ200 has thicker cable and a big ( and unnecessary) plastic material in the center of the cable with "Live Beat" etched on it.  Yet, it has a straight plug instead of the 90* right angled plug of the FXT90 - though it is not a problem for me as I use Sandisk sport with build-in belt clipper. 

This is my 4-days impression with this earphone and I will write a full review later on. 

Note on source: Sansa Clip Sport.

Songs:
  • Insomnium - The one who waits (to test sibilance and shrillness)
  • BuzzG - Drama (full album) - Used for edgy test.
  • Going Under Ground - With You (full album) - Just for fun
  • Superfly - Kagayaku Tsuki No Yo Ni - For female vocal
  • The Yellow Monkey - Spark  Bass guitar "DUM DUM DUM"
  • Muse - Thought of Dying Atheist - Again, bass guitar and sharp cymbal test
  • Muse - Knight of Cydonia - for Soundstage
  • Dream Theater - Six degree of Inner turbulence (live) - for FXZ200 performance on a live song.
  • 1.7m - 夢地図 (live)
  • 1.7m - 少年と魔法のロボット (live)

Some Pictures:

Thanks for reading, and I'm outta here.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back