JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Sep 27, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #392 of 578
My ears are just sensitive to upper midrange. It depends on the source too, of course. But I'm not a bass-head either; I do like the bass and mid-bass to be full and well articulated but in proportion. 
I do love these earphones. They come as close to perfection as any headphones I've tried so far.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #393 of 578
  Wow, you're up early, do you have insomnia too?
I'll give them a try. Thanks again.

Yes...not much of a sleeper

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #394 of 578
  My ears are just sensitive to upper midrange. It depends on the source too, of course. But I'm not a bass-head either; I do like the bass and mid-bass to be full and well articulated but in proportion.
I do love these earphones. They come as close to perfection as any headphones I've tried so far.

I do believe at first it will feel different of course...but you will see the difference in the sound

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #395 of 578
Sep 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #397 of 578

You're quite right; the difference in sound between the different tips is much more than I had thought it might be.
The foam tips (both sizes JVC supplied) were horrible. Very tinny and distant sounding and with very little if any bass.
The smaller of the silicon tips would just fall right out of my ears, so I dismissed them right off the bat.
The larger ones are kinda snug, but not really very uncomfortable until you go to take them out of your ears.
The sound on the bigger ones has possibly more bass, just as much treble and a little less harshness when the mid to upper midrange gets loud.
So either the medium ones it came with on them, or the large ones, and I'm going to keep the large ones on there for now.
I really appreciate the "tip"!

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #398 of 578
You're quite right; the difference in sound between the different tips is much more than I had thought it might be.
The foam tips (both sizes JVC supplied) were horrible. Very tinny and distant sounding and with very little if any bass.
The smaller of the silicon tips would just fall right out of my ears, so I dismissed them right off the bat.
The larger ones are kinda snug, but not really very uncomfortable until you go to take them out of your ears.
The sound on the bigger ones has possibly more bass, just as much treble and a little less harshness when the mid to upper midrange gets loud.
So either the medium ones it came with on them, or the large ones, and I'm going to keep the large ones on there for now.

You are welcome...I have had some really excellent iem's but the sound signature of these are very enjoyable. They sound so full and with a good seal they rival some of the full size headphones I have heard.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #399 of 578

The Upper midrange and treble can be pretty hot on the 850. Try using a teabag as a filter. It was a trick used to tame the treble on the ie800.

www.head-fi.org/t/642528/review-sennheiser-ie800-appreciation-frustration-and-a-bunch-of-what-ifs/270

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #400 of 578
Yeah, right now I've been enjoying my new AKG quincy joneses, but even after uncovering the bassports they are a little bit bass shy, but they make up for it with awesome detail and frequency response, and very spacious sound.
They beat my grado 325ises, no problem imo.
These AKGs though, are very uncomfortable at first, so much so that I thought about re-selling them until I figured out how to make them comfortable.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #401 of 578
The Upper midrange and treble can be pretty hot on the 850. Try using a teabag as a filter. It was a trick used to tame the treble on the ie800.

www.head-fi.org/t/642528/review-sennheiser-ie800-appreciation-frustration-and-a-bunch-of-what-ifs/270

Thanks! I think it has more to do with the revealing nature of these ear phones. I wa used to my Beyers which have a recessed upper midrange and so listening to the same music, these can come off as harsh in some spots, just by comparison.
I'll give it a try though if they keep "harshing my mellow".

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #402 of 578

Thanks! I think it has more to do with the revealing nature of these ear phones. I wa used to my Beyers which have a recessed upper midrange and so listening to the same music, these can come off as harsh in some spots, just by comparison.
I'll give it a try though if they keep "harshing my mellow".

Did you ever adjust to the sound?

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #403 of 578
Well, like I said, I tried all the different tips they provided.
The two pairs of foam tips had the opposite effect of what I'd thought they'd have: the music was tinny and awful, with no bass and very little high treble.
The larger of the (silicone?) tips fit a bit tight, and do add a little more bass, and might cut down on the upper mids and highs a little bit but it's hard to say.
So, I can turn the volume down a little and still have the same awesome bass and less high midrange.
Again, thanks for the "tip"!

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #404 of 578
Damn the guy who notified me of the FX1100 release! (you know who you are)
mad.gif
wink.gif

Sadly, after having heard the FX850, these are a must buy for me. Stand by for a comparison...

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #405 of 578
Bless you and your lack of self restraint James :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back