JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Jul 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #121 of 226
People weren't kidding about the burn-in either - after only about 20 hours of burn in, the treble's already starting to calm down. I know it's not in my head, since I've recently vowed to only use IEMs when I'm exercising and I've only given these a few hours of listening so far. I intend to live to be really old and at the rate I've been going since I got into IEMs, I'm likely to be nearly deaf by 60. My tinnitus is ridiculous.

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #122 of 226
Quote:
People weren't kidding about the burn-in either - after only about 20 hours of burn in, the treble's already starting to calm down. I know it's not in my head, since I've recently vowed to only use IEMs when I'm exercising and I've only given these a few hours of listening so far. I intend to live to be really old and at the rate I've been going since I got into IEMs, I'm likely to be nearly deaf by 60. My tinnitus is ridiculous.

Perhaps you might be playing the music too loud? Tinnitus cam also be caused by vitamin or mineral deficiencies though.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #123 of 226

Quote:
Perhaps you might be playing the music too loud? Tinnitus cam also be cause by vitamin or mineral deficiencies though.

Nah, it's definitely not a nutritional issue - I'm a supplement and health food freak. Some of the antioxidants I take actually protect against further ear damage, which only encourages me to crank my music even louder.

Listening quietly isn't an option either - my main musical obsession is hardcore punk, and that sort of stuff doesn't give me as much of a punch in the face if I'm listening to it at low volume.

I'm not TOO worried about my ears - I've found that my tinnitus gets better with time away from headphones. But I did notice that ever since I switched to IEMs around four years ago, my tinnitus has gotten pretty ridiculous. I love being able to walk around all day with a tiny MP3 player hooked up to high quality IEMs that pump portable high fidelity sound straight into my ears for every waking minute, but from now on I'm going to stick to speakers and open headphones whenever possible.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #124 of 226
Just got these in today. I'm reserving judgement before burning them in because the treble is wayyy too harsh right now. Gave me a headache after just 5 mines. However, from the 5 mins the bass response and clarity was just unreal. Also fit in my ears perfectly. Can't wait to burn them in to smooth em out and b e able to test them out for real.

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #125 of 226
I have a rather theoretical question to make since I haven't heard any of the following IEMs!
According to my tastes I have found that probably FXT90 could be a great idea. I have also read that after burn-in the FX40 has 80% of FXT90. Finally I have read that FX31 is a refined version of FX40.
Since I am on a strict budget I am between FX40 and FX31 and I was wondering which of them is more midranged and suitable for Rock music.

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #126 of 226
Well I own both FX40 and FXT90. I can't say that FX40 has 80% of FXT90 sound because the difference is quite apparent for me.
The FX40, to me, has a very V shaped sound, the treble does sparkle, but sometimes it is too much; the mid is not forward compared to the treble, this does make FX40 sounds very thin to me; the bass is definitely dominant and can overpower the mid sometime. The FXT90 on the other hand has a more balance sound, treble has enough sparkle if needed; the mid is definitely more forward than FX40 and sound more solid too; the bass is not dominant, but it can pack a punch if the song called for it. 
For me, the FX40 is great for Hip-hop, trance, DnB, dubstep - anything that similar to these genre. 
FXT90 is great for everything.
I was going from FX40 - FXT90 - FXZ100 and I can say that the upgrade is very much worth it.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #127 of 226
Saying something is a certain percentage is highly subjective and doesnt say much. I can say my 10 dollar ksc75 has 60-70 percent sound of lcd3.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #128 of 226
Of course everything is subjective and unfortunately when you don't have a personal idea, like me, you have to depend an opinion on someone's else tastes.
Unfortunately I can't test or try any IEM so all my research remains on theoretical level till now!

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #129 of 226
Quote:
Well I own both FX40 and FXT90. I can't say that FX40 has 80% of FXT90 sound because the difference is quite apparent for me.
The FX40, to me, has a very V shaped sound, the treble does sparkle, but sometimes it is too much; the mid is not forward compared to the treble, this does make FX40 sounds very thin to me; the bass is definitely dominant and can overpower the mid sometime. The FXT90 on the other hand has a more balance sound, treble has enough sparkle if needed; the mid is definitely more forward than FX40 and sound more solid too; the bass is not dominant, but it can pack a punch if the song called for it. 
For me, the FX40 is great for Hip-hop, trance, DnB, dubstep - anything that similar to these genre. 
FXT90 is great for everything.
I was going from FX40 - FXT90 - FXZ100 and I can say that the upgrade is very much worth it.

Agreed, I might as well add that FXT90 has more clarity, more natural sound and good depth makes it sound more "3D" than FX40

Bass on FXT90 is more like a sidestep coming from FX40, other than that everything else is a worthwide upgrade

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #130 of 226
The mids definitely need boosting on these, but otherwise they sound amazing.

These things actually remind me a lot of the vastly underrated Sennheiser CX880. I need to learn soldering to fix my Senns, but from memory they sounded VERY similar to these, albeit with a slightly more polished sound.

The 880s took a lot of power to drive and the treble was insanely sibilant at first, so they tended to be overlooked by most people. If you can get them cheap, go for it. Sennheiser sent me a free pair to replace my CX400s that broke while under warranty a couple years ago, and they gave me an eargasm after I figured out how to calm down the treble. Very deep insertion and lots of burn-in are a must, otherwise they're almost unlistenable. Some Complys probably would help too, if they offer one that can fit the incredibly tiny stem on the 880s.

Just thought I'd put that out there, since people who like the FX40s would probably appreciate those too.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #131 of 226
The JVC HAFX40 is nowhere near the JVC HAS400 headphone in sound quality. I hope JVC makes a new carbon nanotube IEM with 12.5 mm or 13.5 mm drivers.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #132 of 226
I'm selling my brand new, factory sealed HA-FX40 in orange (Japan exclusive).  I imported these for around $40, but I'll go $23 shipped via Paypal, US only.  Send me a PM, thanks!

Here's a pic I took: [link]

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #135 of 226
what's the difference between the HA-FX40 and the HA-FX40-A-E? What's the A-E standing for?

The E I believe is for sale in Europe.
I only have 20 hours of burn in on my fx40 and I hear a big difference from right out of the box. Carbon is a extremely rigid material so just using Pink noise is not enough to break these in in a reasonable time frame. I am using heavy Bass and Drum tracks with a mix of pink and brown noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back