I've had the hafx1x for about a month now
imo, they don't have enough bass 
triportsad.gif

looking to upgrade to the Sony XB500s

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #334 of 359
imo, they don't have enough bass :triportsad:

100% agreed. They have pretty good bass for an IEM, but of course, headphones are the optimal choice. Hands down, th king of headphones for bass are the JVC SZ2000. Here is a video of them in action.
http://youtu.be/DIXdwrEIYBw

I would say they are definetly worth the price for what kind of bass you will get. There is literally nothing better than them, all of us over at the extreme basshead thread have been looking for the best, and these simply are the best. I've tried the XB500 and I was disappointed with them... Mostly just mid bass, mids sounded recessed, overall kind of dead or veiled, and the pads were way too huge.

For anyone seeing who wants the best bass in a pair of cans, hit up the Extreme Basshead club thread. First page features the most recent info and top 10 cans for bass with small reviews under each. Best being the first, and worst being the last.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #335 of 359
Is anyone using the hafx101?? I bought them recently and I played them on full volume for 8 hours or so, the treble seems to be softening . Is there any noticeable difference in bass too? Because it sounds the same ( i know i should run them for long hours before use, I'm just curious to know) . Also the bass isn't insane and rrrrumbling as i expected , there is a significant amount of bass but all that hype made me expect more :/

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #336 of 359
imo, they don't have enough bass 
triportsad.gif

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time, and recently got my hands on a pair of HAFX1X. My brother used to own em but I took em for the time being.

My main problem with the HAFX1X was, A) the bass was not ENGAGING, it didn't PUNCH my ears and it didn't vibrate my ears.
b) the treble is just horrible at higher volumes. Could NOT be fixed with EQ. and the IEMS were fully driven in as well.

I used to own a pair of GR02 BE just a month ago until the housings came off and the left driver died on me. For the time being, im using the HAFX1X. It's been about 4 days and I've noticed something. 

They have an ENORMOUS GIGANTIC HOLE at the back of them, right behind the XX logo on the iems. If you put the backside on like youd use a normal phone earbud, you can actually hear the sound coming out of em LOL(IMO better than the nozzle side.)

Anyways back to where I was. I have had a theory that the more materials that get in the way of the sound coming out, the punchier the bass. THerefore, hypothetically the HAFX1X were a kind of OPEN earphones.

So what i did, was cut out a little bit of scotchtape and cover that hole. and

T
F!!!

the IMPACT. Oh MY LORD. the IEMS changed COMPLETELY. I haven't fully covered up the vents yet. just a flimsy tape in. I hope to remove the XX logo and cover the grille completely and find out how it sounds, but currently, I am loving this.

I usually listen to many kinds of music but they are bass heavy. 

Hope this helps somebody. adios. peace.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #337 of 359
Is anyone using the hafx101?? I bought them recently and I played them on full volume for 8 hours or so, the treble seems to be softening . Is there any noticeable difference in bass too? Because it sounds the same ( i know i should run them for long hours before use, I'm just curious to know) . Also the bass isn't insane and rrrrumbling as i expected , there is a significant amount of bass but all that hype made me expect more :/

I haven't been here in like.. years, ever since I hit my end-game for audio x).

Yes the FX101s burn-in time is ridiculous, I'd recommend it to anyone as an all-rounder entry level IEM to get their audiophile engines up and running, if it wasn't for the freakishly long burn-in time, which is roughly around 200 to 300 hours depending on how completely tame you want the upper mids/treble to be (the killer peaks are at ~3khz and ~5khz).

I've burned in around half a dozen of these things for my friends and these are just the little peculiarities I've noticed:

1. As, above they take very long to burn-in (to tame the treble peaks), almost as long as high-end headphones (read: headphones, not IEMs)

2. If you go past a certain volume threshold, the sub-bass disappears completely (<30hz), you can easily observe this behavior with a realtime EQ, just dial up a low shelf EQ for the bass, or something around 30hz, just past 3db and you'll begin to wonder if your EQ is broken because making it go back to 0 makes the sub-bass rumble come back, and pushing it to 4db onwards makes it disappear (and makes the bass punch/impact around 60hz onwards stronger).

3. Like the treble, the bass is also very finicky and difficult to mature/burn-in - I could only get it to get more rumble and bass ambience by adding liberal amounts of subbass EQ while playing my already bassy burn-in tracks. (When I did this I didn't know about the bass being muted out if you play it too loud, but it burned-in anyway and the bass on my personal fx101 is WAY more rumbly and basspacious (yes, that's a word) when compared to a pair that was burned-in without EQ and without an amp to compensate for the EQ pre-cut. The difference is almost as large as listening to the fx101's bass and then listening to the fx1x's bass (the fx1x's subbass is just vulgar, but in a good way, lol).

If you're okay with running this routine for 250 hours straight, then FX101 is the best in its class. Hell I would also dare say it beats most of the sub-$100 tier IEMs if not all (ignoring bass gods like the Atrio IEMs, of course).

Also, my personal advice, don't listen to these things fresh out of the box on treble-heavy tracks; the worst that could happen is that you become treble desensitized (i.e. you damage your hearing, but that's just exaggerating), but more importantly if you get used to this kind of peaky treble/upper-mids then you'll just spoil yourself for when you start to hear the really REALLY good high-end IEM and headphones, because you wouldn't be able to tell CLEAN treble from "oh I can't hear any treble from this why does this sound so muffled".

100% agreed. They have pretty good bass for an IEM, but of course, headphones are the optimal choice. Hands down, th king of headphones for bass are the JVC SZ2000. Here is a video of them in action.
http://youtu.be/DIXdwrEIYBw

I would say they are definetly worth the price for what kind of bass you will get. There is literally nothing better than them, all of us over at the extreme basshead thread have been looking for the best, and these simply are the best. I've tried the XB500 and I was disappointed with them... Mostly just mid bass, mids sounded recessed, overall kind of dead or veiled, and the pads were way too huge.

For anyone seeing who wants the best bass in a pair of cans, hit up the Extreme Basshead club thread. First page features the most recent info and top 10 cans for bass with small reviews under each. Best being the first, and worst being the last.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Finally, someone that understands what BS everyone is saying about the XB500. I frickin' BOUGHT the XB-1000s in hopes that it was made better than all it's predecessors, but man was I wrong. I still managed to salvage that one though, with EQ and an amp. Its bass was able to keep up with the EQ pretty decently, so I wasn't too sad.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #338 of 359
Can someone show me a pic of their eq for these headphones, the bass is amazing, the mids eh, but the highs shriek and kill, should i just burn them in, i''ve been playing pink noise on full for 1 hour but it's still not gone, any suggestions

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #339 of 359
Burning wont change the sound signature of these iems,  thats the way they sound, a lot of bass,  agressive treble, mids are not the strong point of these iems, extremely V shaped.

Try with other tips that can help in some way to reduce  the treble, but dont expect a big change. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #340 of 359
comply foam tips (i use tx-200 for everything) are an absolute must for these. They bring the treble waaaaay down. Epic boom on these but unlistenable with out dampening the treble imo. Try the zero audio carbon basso for a similar sound but more control (foam tips also help with those).

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #342 of 359
Its like comparing a Chevy Cruze (Fx1x) versus a Corvette (Bassos)
No contest.

Bass quantity is almost the same,  but with details and better quaility on the Bassos, bass goes deep. JVC bass is more like a one note bass, no details at all. Just a big boomy bass.

Treble is not harsh at all, you can hear them for hours without a problem.
Mids is nice,  way more unfront where in the JVC its back and veiled (like having a blanket over a speaker while you play music, something just make it distant and veiled.)

Not so expensive with a great SQ.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #343 of 359
  Its like comparing a Chevy Cruze (Fx1x) versus a Corvette (Bassos)
No contest.

When it comes to SQ I mostly agree... but now that the Bassos are 33 bucks on amazon I think comparison is somewhat apt.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #344 of 359
  Are you sure they are worth the money, where I love, they're 10 dollars, do they actually change the highs?

My sibilance tolerance is pretty low so I think it's worth it. I order the 3 packs for $20 on amazon about twice a year, meaning that a set of tips lasts about 2 months before they degrade and get gross. Does it make sense to spend more a year on tips than you did on your actual iem's? I don't really have an answer for that.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #345 of 359
To everyone who said that burning in these won't work, idk if it's just me or you guys are trolling, i burned these for at least 15 hours and all I can say is wow, WOW. The treble seems to have been tamed much much more better, and the bass seems a bit better then when i first heard it, dont really notice a difference with the mids but my day's been made 
smily_headphones1.gif
. And about those comply foam tips, if they'll help to further tame the treble, im going to buy them, saw alot of positive reviews on them too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back