JVC Fxt90 vs Vsonic GR07 vs V-Moda M-80
Dec 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

-RayRay-

New Head-Fier
 Hey everybody, although ive been lurking around head-fi forums for quite a while now, i never actually created an account, but here i am, so i hope a get a warm welcome :) I'm going to give you all my personal thoughts on the 3 iems/headphone mentioned in the thread, but first ill give you some background information to let you know where im coming from with this comparison, I don't consider myself an full fledged audiophile but i enjoy solid bass, slightly forward mids, and sparkly crisp treble.

I owned the vmodas and the gr07 before purchasing the fxt90, and now I've sold the formers. Firstly, I wouldn't consider any of these headphones to be basshead material. Ill start off with a comparison between the vmodas and the gr07. They are actually more similar than different when it comes down to the sound but there are still some noticeable differences. Obviously since the v-moda is a full size portable headphone, it offers a bigger soundstage than the gr07 but the gr07 still has a good soundstage for an iem. The gr07 has incredible detail to it and offers deep bass, but without a mid-bass hump, which I find to be a good thing, but opinions vary. While the v-moda offers nice deep bass as well, it has a slight mid-bass hump, which i find to be a bit to much for me. The m-80s have slighty more forward mids than the gr07, giving more life to vocals, but both have amazing clean mids. The treble was a slight deal breaker for me when it came down to the m80s. The m-80s offer smooth non fatiguing treble, but i would consider it to be slightly recessed as it doesn't really "sparkle". The gr07, on the other hand, had great treble extension and offered that crisp sparkly detail that i enjoy. In the end, the gr07 could be considered to have clean analytical sound when compared to the m80s, while the m80s offer a fun sound. I prefered the GR07.

Now on to the Fxt90. I just have to say wow. I picked up these iems for CA $85 on a sale at futureshop, and I have been thoroughly impressed. When compared to the gr07, the fxt90 just sounds so much more musical and engaging. The bass is solid and offers great punch. Although both the m80s and the gr07 offer greater bass quantity, that isn't to say that the bass on the fxt90 is bad, as it is quite the opposite. The mids are slightly forward as well, similar to the gr07, but the mids offer great detail and has quite a "bite" to them when it comes to guitars. I enjoyed the mids on the fxt90 better than gr07. On to the treble... This is the fxt90's strong point. The treble is sparkly, energetic, clean, and detailed while not being sibilant at all. The gr07 seemed a bit sibilant from time to time depending on the music but the fxt90 just takes this aspect easily. I love the treble on it. The soundstage on the fxt90 is similar to the gr07 but has greater depth and timbre. While the gr07 is slightly more accurate, it's more of a sidestep and I enjoy the fxt90 much more.

Isolation wise, both the gr07 and the fxt90 offer good isolation, but its not ground breaking or anything, The m80 has slightly below average isolation in my opinion due to the vents it has on the sides of the earcups, but it wouldn't be considered a deal breaker for most people. Comfort wise, both the gr07 and fxt90 are very comfortable, with the latter being slightly more comfortable since it can be worn straight down from the ear. The m80s will be slightly uncomfortable when you first purchase them, but as the headphones break in, the comfort improves greatly, but i still prefer the comfort of both the iems.

Genres I listen to:

Rock, Heavy Metal, Death Metal
Hip-hop
Trance
House
R&B
Indie

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Damn.... to think that they were great when I got mine for $115 US Oh well life screws you up sometimes
biggrin.gif
 Enjoy your JVCs

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 5
I just got my set today. I saw them on the Futureshop website and thought they were intriguing so I've given them a try. I also paid only $60. So far I think they are a fantastic IEM. I would be impressed with them no matter what but considering the price I paid they are one of the most impressive audio bargains out there.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Damn.... to think that they were great when I got mine for $115 US Oh well life screws you up sometimes
biggrin.gif
 Enjoy your JVCs

Thanks!
Quote:
I just got my set today. I saw them on the Futureshop website and thought they were intriguing so I've given them a try. I also paid only $60. So far I think they are a fantastic IEM. I would be impressed with them no matter what but considering the price I paid they are one of the most impressive audio bargains out there.

^Agreed. The sound you are getting for $60 bucks is pretty hard to beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back