JVC FX33 Mod.
Apr 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #91 of 136
Thanks a lot for this, sounded a bit muddy and not bright enough for me and the mod went a long way to making them sound great - especially for such a cheap price - beautiful
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #93 of 136
If you want more improved bass, tape shut the bass ports, which are like pin sized holes (like a reset hole on some products). Tightens the bass but it still has the thumping power, for people that still think it's a bit farty...maybe this might help. I have the Olives stuck on it too, but I have no intention of removing it ^^

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #94 of 136
This is a very simple mod, yet very effective!

If you use a fresh xacto blade (one not worn down) you don't need to remove the gray rubber tubing to get to the paper filter.

Wonder JVC didn't do this in the first place :/

May 27, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #95 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want more improved bass, tape shut the bass ports, which are like pin sized holes (like a reset hole on some products). Tightens the bass but it still has the thumping power, for people that still think it's a bit farty...maybe this might help. I have the Olives stuck on it too, but I have no intention of removing it ^^

I enlarged the port diameter with a 1/16" drill bit (twirled by hand). Much better bass!!!!

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #97 of 136
These are my first in-ears, and having just finished modding, I must say it's incredible. Big sound and big bass for such little guys. Having some issues finding the seal and comfort sweet spot however; just not used to having things lodged in my ear I guess.

Jun 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #98 of 136
I didn't have foam available so I made foam-substitutes out of some raw wool I had.(roommate spins her own yarn to knit).

Raw wool is not dense at all, just a bunch of fibers all running together, and its pretty easy to work with... sorta like a much less dense cotton ball. I rolled it between my fingers and palms for a bit, till it was partially felted, and then cut smaller pieces out, to size. A little goes a long way.

Little fibers tend to get all over the place, and I don't really want those in my ears, but rolled up its prety stable and everything stays together. I pushed them into the blue tubes, put the grey tubes over that, and as foam substitutes they stay in place well, with no little fibers falling out..

I wonder if this is a first
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #99 of 136
Just trying the mod... A much much easier way to remove the paper filter is to get like a regular sewing needle, remove the foam tip, poke the needle through the hole at an angle and lift it up. It should come out in one piece and you don't need to remove the grey thing.

EDIT - Ok my bad this only worked on one side so far.

2nd EDIT - Ok it worked after a bit of picking away at the sides and trying to lift it out at a different angle.

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #100 of 136
Props to Kramer for the mod; sounds great on my FX34's. (I have no idea the difference of them to the 33's
rolleyes.gif
) However, when listening to them on my iPod 6G at high volumes, my left bud emits a crinkly/crackly (for a lack of a better word), but definitely not distorted, sound. I've had this problem since before the mod. I thought the mod might fix it, and although it makes them sound tons better, it didn't fix the crackly sound. If anyone could tell me what's causing this and how I could fix it (if I can), it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: After reading this, I suspect it may be a damaged driver. Also, since I've only owned them for about a week, I'm probably not done with the whole 'burn in' thing. I'd still appreciate any help though.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #101 of 136
I ordered my FX33's Wednesday morning after reading about them here. I'm trying them out right now, and I don't feel like they have too much bass right now. Does this change as time goes on?

It might be because the earphones don't feel like they're too tight in my ears. Not like other in-ear phones I've tried (like Apple's). However that does mean that not as much sound is kept out while wearing them.

These headphones are still a huge improvement over my crappy Phillips clip style earphones, and these were cheaper. If I find that the bass becomes muddy, I'll give this mod a shot.

Thanks

UPDATE: Ok, now I get what you guys mean about the bass. I realized I wasn't quite wearing them properly. At least for me, to get them to fit tightly, I have to give each earphone a slight twist. The bass is pretty strong like that. I'm gonna give the mod a shot right now.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #102 of 136
I went ahead and did the mod. Before doing the mod, I used a treble booster on my iPod to compensate for the loss in mids and highs. I used a pin to yank out the filter paper. I went back and listened to "The Message" (Nas, It Was Written) and there was quite a difference. The highs don't seem like they're too exaggerated so I'm not going to put in the earpad foam just yet.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #104 of 136
Kramer, I've read most of this thread, but not all. have you experimented with poking additional holes in the existing paper filter? I was thinking of trying that first to see what would happen, but if you already tried it, and it failed, I'll go for the full mod. Please let me know.

remembered the "search this thread" feature. you can ignore me if you wish.

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #105 of 136
Just finished the basic mod with the foam. may need a little more tuning up, but right now, I'm enjoying the marshmallows I got for $2.14 more than my RE2's. We'll see what happens when I get the Fiio E3 or E5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back