JVC FX101 vs JVC FX40, help me find a sub $20 IEM
Aug 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

xecure

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair for sub $20 headphones. I'm not exactly set on the FX101/FX40, so I am open to suggestions.

I am looking for something I can run in and wear on my commute to work (and also at work). I'll be wearing these headphones for long periods of time so comfort is very important, and since I'll be running in them  also I would like something that won't fall out of my ear easily either. I don't think most stock headphone tips will be able to do all that so I am planning on spending a few extra bucks and getting a triple flange tips (also open to suggestions here also).

I listen to many different genre of music but on these headphones I plan on listening to a lot of electronica/dubstep/other bassy music, though I am not a bass head, I prefer clarity over exaggerated bass.

What would you guys reccomend?

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 23
I'd suggest the FX101s based on your music preferences.

While the FX40s can certainly dig down, the FX101s have fabulous bass while still having plenty of detail and clarity at the price point.
Another set i'd suggest is the UE200 ($17.99 amazon). Sound-wise, they're all-rounders. They do everything well and nothing particularly wrong. Great bass, good even mids and highs, and they're extremely comfortable, light, and come with a really nice hard case.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 23
fx101

But if you want an iem for running i would sugget the meelectonics m6

Why? I find them better suited for running. They go over ears and has a lot of accesories. Not that you cant use a fx101 for running. Its that i feel the M6 more comfotable for running. They sound very nice, big souding bass and nice sound overall. Check them out.

My FX's stay at home or office. For running (3 times a week) i use the m6

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 23
The 101s with some MEEelec tips sounds like exactly what you are looking for.. Though if you are wanting over ear between those two options I would go with the 40s as they are better suited to over ear use compared to the 101s.. The 40s disappear in your ear while the 101s stick out.. At least that's the case for me.. The 40s sound better in all areas except the booming bass of the 101s.. So if you need it to pump you up for your runs the 101s will do a better job of that =).. Also stay away from the M6s.. They don't compare at all in terms of sound quality.. They are fine for moving around in but to put them in with the 40s and 101s isn't fair

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 23
Loving my FX101's...  If I'd a had them a couple of years ago I wouldn't have sprung for the TF 10's.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 23
The 101s with some MEEelec tips sounds like exactly what you are looking for.. Though if you are wanting over ear between those two options I would go with the 40s as they are better suited to over ear use compared to the 101s.. The 40s disappear in your ear while the 101s stick out.. At least that's the case for me.. The 40s sound better in all areas except the booming bass of the 101s.. So if you need it to pump you up for your runs the 101s will do a better job of that =).. Also stay away from the M6s.. They don't compare at all in terms of sound quality.. They are fine for moving around in but to put them in with the 40s and 101s isn't fair

Agree. SQ is better on the FX. But for runnig i find the m6 more comfotable, the only reason for recomending m6 is for people that run and want something more suited for that. They dont sound bad at all. Very nice sound. Or better,get both. They wont burn a hole in your pocket :D

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
How does the JVC HAFX1X compare to the FX101 and FX40?

JVC FX1X1  versus  FX101,   its like a drag race between a Prius and a Corvette. i am exaggerating,but you got the point,  its a no Contest.  Fx101 has better mids and highs, i even like the bass from the Fx101, it sounds much better.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

JVC FX1X1  versus  FX101,   its like a drag race between a Prius and a Corvette. i am exaggerating,but you got the point,  its a no Contest.  Fx101 has better mids and highs, i even like the bass from the Fx101, it sounds much better.

I guess it's settled then. I just wish the amazon prime applied to the FX101. I just broke the jack to my other decent headphone earlier this morning =(

BTW: If anyone is knowledgeable with re-cabling or can point me to any good tutorials please help me out here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/622780/help-broke-my-headphone-jack-want-to-re-cable-but-have-no-idea-where-to-start

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 23
Riptidz, not bad, but the Fx101 is MUCH better,  if your tight on your budget they are good choice, but if you got  the money go for  the Fx101, its so much better in every aspect, bass, mids high, even has a better cable than those Riptidz, its a mess. cheapest cable i haven seen on a iem.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
How do the fx101 compare to the riptidz? I have had the riptdz but im looking for more bass, Will the bass compare to Over-ear headphones like Klipsch Image one?

According to this thread the general consensus is that the FX 101 delivers more/better bass than the riptidz. I haven't received my FX101 yet so can't tell you how it'll compare to other over ears.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 23
The HA-FX40 has plenty of clarity and bass, but also has treble that is much too strong at times. Another option is the Panasonic RP-HJE355. It has great clarity, and has a reasonable amount of treble. It is not an extra bass earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back