JVC DX1000's On the Way!/Audio Cubes
Jun 20, 2007 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

madmax7

500+ Head-Fier
Your item left OSAKA, JAPAN on June 20, 2007. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Gotta love that!! I just hope they pair up nicely with the Woo3 rolled with nice Amperex 6dj8's and a Western Electric 421A. I will say that dealing with Audio Cubes has been a delight. They shipped my order in one day and tracking showed up on USPS on day 2. I may have paid a little more than PJ, but with this level of service, I don't mind a bit! I'll post pics when they arrive. Not that you all have not seen them before.
icon10.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I almost got the D5000's, so the loaded question is, which do you prefer at this moment?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Buddy, I swear that's a tough question! And I'll have to make it lightning-fast now. (Would love to take my time answering this one. But there are those cruel headphone bills to pay!
tongue.gif
)

To my ears and my limited experience (B&W, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, KEF), the D5000 sounds exactly like a first-rate full-range speaker. It's completely neutral with all the weight and airiness that one might wish for. The Victor DX1000 is colored in the midrange. (See the comments on the thread "JVC HP-DX1000 owners unite!".) There's a slight honkiness around 500 Hz that gives it its distinct character. But, as I've noted there, it's something that's grown on me. I do perceive it as coloration -- but it's the truly pleasing kind to my ears. In addition, I like its slightly rolled-off highs. The detail is there, but there's no aggressive brightness. And the bass is phenomenal. Plus, there's the drop-dead build quality. The thing is a real audio jewelry experience! No corners were cut. By contrast, as cute as the D5000 is (cleverly designed in all respects), it looks very definitely second-rate standing next to the Victor.

So, there's the unvarnished truth as I see it: If that midrange coloration pleases you, you'll be happy with the Victor. I am.

Cheers,

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Welcome aboard the DX1000 train. As Soundinista says, the sound has been growing on me too. I have the D2000s and DX1000s and what he describes as the differences between the two is what I hear. I settled the question of which one to listen to by taking the D2000s to work (they're MUCH cheaper
icon10.gif
) and using the DX1000s at home. That way I don't have to pick my favorite and I can cheat on both of them.
3000smile.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buddy, I swear that's a tough question! And I'll have to make it lightning-fast now. (Would love to take my time answering this one. But there are those cruel headphone bills to pay!
tongue.gif
)

To my ears and my limited experience (B&W, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, KEF), the D5000 sounds exactly like a first-rate full-range speaker. It's completely neutral with all the weight and airiness that one might wish for. The Victor DX1000 is colored in the midrange. (See the comments on the thread "JVC HP-DX1000 owners unite!".) There's a slight honkiness around 500 Hz that gives it its distinct character. But, as I've noted there, it's something that's grown on me. I do perceive it as coloration -- but it's the truly pleasing kind to my ears. In addition, I like its slightly rolled-off highs. The detail is there, but there's no aggressive brightness. And the bass is phenomenal. Plus, there's the drop-dead build quality. The thing is a real audio jewelry experience! No corners were cut. By contrast, as cute as the D5000 is (cleverly designed in all respects), it looks very definitely second-rate standing next to the Victor.

So, there's the unvarnished truth as I see it: If that midrange coloration pleases you, you'll be happy with the Victor. I am.

Cheers,

Thanks so much for taking some time on this review. I don't mind a little color if it simply sounds good. I myself, love lots of "clean" bass, so I know I'm in the right ballpark with the JVC's. And yes, they look amazing, and there is nothing wrong with that! It's odd, I have not run accross one person so far that has heard these cans with the Woo 3. Anyways, looking forward to getting these babies burning in!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Is this going to become the most expensive FOTM to date?
If so, wallets everywhere are going to leave home....

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Getting closer!!
icon10.gif

Your item cleared United States Customs at 1:29 PM on June 21, 2007. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back