JVC DX1 review.
Mar 11, 2002 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
This was a lucky find in that I happened to spot it privately advertised for $80 AU ($42 US), against a retail of $270 here in OZ. Even then I was doubtful. After all, JVC headphones have no credibility, right? Just another mass marketer filling up the gaps in
his range, right? No hope of matching the Sennheisers and Grados of this world, right? Well, read on....

CONSTRUCTION: Quite amazing for the price. Anyone who's visited the JVC site will know that they're identical to the DX3 save for the plain grey shells (copper for the DX3) and rather sweaty "leatherette" pads (cloth for the DX3). The double hooped
headband is pure AKG, but everything else is original, partially resembles the Sydney Harbor Bridge and is unique in providing something I've never encountered before: variable inward pressure via two buttons which release the "arms" to swing in and out. Of course with my fat head I found the pressure still quite high even at the furthest out position, but no doubt they'll soften up (they always do), and the option of being able to increase the pressure if they even become loose is great. Full marks here.

COMFORT: Fair, I'd say. The pads are fully circumaural, but with the fairly high inward pressure and sweaty material you're not likely to forget you're wearing cans. Certainly no match for my Senn 580s, but better probably than most sealed cans. I can
live with them because of the.....

SOUND QUALITY: My first impression upon donning these was to take them off to make sure I hadn't left my speakers on---they're that spacious sounding. This was mentioned in the DX3 review, and it's spot on. I don't know how JVC have managed this, but it's only one of several miracles built into these cans. Another is the total lack of coloration for a closed back design with so little space behind the driver for padding (unlike the Sonys). But the greatest miracle is where JVC, a mass market producer, found this driver. It's just so good, so sweet and clean and coloration-free, that the JVCs have now replaced my Senns, being comprehensively better (with my modest equipment) in just about every area. The literature says that it's a 50mm unit with a 19 micro (micron?) polymer film diaphram and neodymium magnets, but as we all know that tells us nothing.
First off, the sound is so open and free of coloration. A little bright, yes, and despite these being used ('hardly used') they still greatly benefited from around 30 hours burn in. I definitely wouldn't recommend auditioning them raw: they'll sound bright and thin and totally bassless. And even after 30 hours they're still a little bright and bass reticent: that's the nature of this beast. However, the bass is highly accurate and quite deep; it just doesn't have that upper bass warmth and foundation of the Senns. So this isn't a set of cans to throw into any system. Harsh, bright amps and sources will prove unbearable. My Marantz 4000 is considered warm, but even with that I prefer the sound with the treble down a couple of db. The thing is, the bright balance is almost immaterial in light of the purity and sweetness and just plain accuracy of the mid/treble. Accuracy indeed is the operative word here. This is a class phone in every way. I don't know how it compares with the DX3, but I'd have a hard time believing the DX3 sounds significantly better. And with the DX1 available stateside for as little as $73 US, it may be time for a bargain alert.

PROBLEMS: There are always a few of course. First off, like most closed back cans these are highly microphonic. Touch any part of the structure and you get it amplified right into your lobes. I also noticed immediately a lot of mechanical noise getting through every time I moved my head---creaks and clunks etc. Experimentation led me to the radical step of plastering gaffer tape all across the back of the phones including the connecting arm. Not very elegant, but no more creaks. As well the tape had the effect of reducing the microphony. Two birds with one stone.
So....should Grado and Senn owners be throwing their cans in the dumpster and rushing out for these? Hardly, since the results with any can is dependent on the system. Some will find these too bright, thin sounding, bassless, distant. Some will find them uncomfortable (though they're certainly more comfortable than the Grado SR80s I once owned). What they are is a remarkable can for the price, and definitely one to throw into the under $200 ring. Anyone for team JVC?

Mar 11, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 13
And before anybody gets skeptical, here's some back up for yah:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=484

5 stars, and HiFi Choice recommended to boot. Not bad. This is the DX3, not the DX1, but I can imagine it's about the same. The reviewer also mentions the extra wide soundstage. Sounds like these may just be AKG 501s + some real bass to speak of.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 13
Um... I see you're listening out of your integrated amp with tone controls off the center? While I'm definitely for EQ
biggrin.gif
, when comparing phones it is usually better to compare them under the same conditions, and with the Senns as the other contender, those equal conditions had better include an amp
biggrin.gif

Although in my books the HD580 had been beaten by even lesser beings than your DX1...
rolleyes.gif
However my comparisons were anything but fair
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 11, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 13
He was using EQ? Didn't seem like it...he said his Marantz was warm, but he "preferred" his sound with the treble a couple db down. I don't think he actually turned any knobs...or did he?

Mar 11, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 13
Don't you have to turn the treble knob to get the 'treble a couple dB down'?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 11, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Ooh, they're shiny
biggrin.gif

jvchadx3.jpg

'Digital ready' too!
wink.gif

Ok, let's do some maths here - you got them for $80AU and the list price on that review site is 200pounds ($600AU/$300US)

Seems like you got a good deal to me!

Where can I get myself a pair for $80AU ?

[edit]
oops, that's the DX3 - ok, where can I get the DX3 for $80AU?
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 13
are the DX1 earcups metal?

Mar 11, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 13
"are the DX1 earcups metal?"

Yes. as I said there appears to be no differences other than the different colour cups and different earpads. Given the difference in price you might expect the drivers to differ too, but the sound I'm getting doesn't suggest that. This implies to me that the DX3 are over-priced.
My comment about prefering the treble a couple of db down of course means that I used the tone controls. But the difference is minor. I listen to mainly orchestral music--classical and film soundtracks--so I'm more concerned with even frequency response, low colouration and purity of tone than heavy bass, excitement and impact. This should be born in mind and is the reason I said that Senn and grado owners shouldn't be rushing to the shops after the DX1. An audition is definitely called for though, especially if the phones can be found cheap.
Regarding the DX3 review, I can endorse all comments made as applying to the DX1 except those about bass. I don't hear the heavy bass that reviewer seemed to hear. However. given how much the bass has loosened up just in the last couple of days, it's possible it could get stronger yet.

Mar 11, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 13
"are the DX1 earcups metal?"

Yes. as I said there appears to be no differences other than the different colour cups and different earpads. Given the difference in price you might expect the drivers to differ too, but the sound I'm getting doesn't suggest that. This implies to me that the DX3 are over-priced.
My comment about prefering the treble a couple of db down of course means that I used the tone controls. But the difference is minor. I listen to mainly orchestral music--classical and film soundtracks--so I'm more concerned with even frequency response, low colouration and purity of tone than heavy bass, excitement and impact. This should be born in mind and is the reason I said that Senn and grado owners shouldn't be rushing to the shops after the DX1. An audition is definitely called for though, especially if the phones can be found cheap.
Regarding the DX3 review, I can endorse all comments made as applying to the DX1 except those about bass. I don't hear the heavy bass that reviewer seemed to hear. However. given how much the bass has loosened up just in the last couple of days, it's possible it could get stronger yet.

Mar 12, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 13
"I have the DX3 and I think it sounds pretty good for a JVC product. I like to use it with Rock like Godsmack..."

You have something against JVC? In any case I don't think this is a "rock" headphone. But hey, whatever turns you on...

"I have heard both. To me the DX3 does sound noticably better. It better well be to justify the price difference."

It might be useful if you could tell us in what way the DX3 is superior. And does anyone else hear these creaking noises? I knew I had to do something about it as soon as I put them on. Could hardly hear the music.

(Sorry about the double post above. I only clicked once, honest)

Mar 12, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Its been a while (at least 3 months) since I auditioned both of them. So I can't exactly describe the sound. I do remember if being richer sounding and maybe the sound stage is a little (very little) better.

Maybe I will go look at them again one weekend and reevaluate them again. It was under less than ideal conditions because of the annoying store jingle going on in the background.

for US$40 bucks the DX1 is a great deal. definately worth the price.

The DX1 typically sells for about 9800 yen and the DX3 sells for about 20,000 yen in Japan. I think at 20,000 yen you have a lot more options when it comes to good headphones so the DX3 isn't such a hot deal. (they still sound pretty good though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back