Justin: Please make a Glite with a pico dac built in
Feb 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
Title says it all. I'd buy at least two. Seen a whole lot of comments from others about wanting a desktop version of the pico.

Depending on pricing (let's say it were a g-lite price plus the dac difference from the pico, plus a little additional), could be the go-to desktop solution for anything under the benchmark (and an interesting shoot out with it).

Since the pico dac is so small, it might even be possible to keep the unit as small as the current g lite (use the g lite case).

Would be really nice to have an upgrade path with the additional g-lite power supply.

If he were to make something like that, I couldn't imagine anything but a mob of people buying it, head-fiers and general audio folks as well.

Hopefully using an extent amp and dac could cut down on the time it might take to develop something from scratch (birthday's in a couple of months
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 49
I'm in too if it will have optical input in addition to the usb. The small footprint and the advantage of a deskstop amp/dac is too tempting :wink:

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 49
I have been spamming Justin's inbox with this request since the day I heard the Pico prototype at a meet in the summer. Problem is that Pico is already great amp/dac and can be used at home with no problem (thats what I am doing myself actually). If he would to release a home version, he is facing a hard decision of having way too many options. DAC alone or with build in amp, if with amp then which amp, optical inputs or just USB, balanced or not, expensive or cheap and etc. There is no way he can satisfy everyone and keep the price reasonable. I have a feeling that if he makes a DAC alone with all possible options, it would cost close to $1000 if not more (look at Benchmark DACs). I am eagerly waiting for him to release something, but doubt it will be anywhere within the next year and cost below $500.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 49
I too want a desktop version of the Pico but with Dynalo for amplification! With optical and coaxial input, and balanced output too!

Feh, forget the Gilmore Lite form factor, Justin should just take the GS-1 and build in all our wish-list features, and sell that for $1K! I'd still buy it!

Btw, what would we name this DAC? Maybe someone can come up with some ideas?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been spamming Justin's inbox with this request since the day I heard the Pico prototype at a meet in the summer.

I hope you're kidding because I'm sure Justin doesn't appreciate e-mail spamming that takes up his time from working on orders.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Problem is that Pico is already great amp/dac and can be used at home with no problem (thats what I am doing myself actually).

Based on all the glowing praise for the Pico, I have considered it for my desktop setup, but since it only has USB input, I would have nowhere to plug in my inexpensive CDP that I'm using as a transport only. I wonder if there's a breakout cable for usb.....hmmm....

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on all the glowing praise for the Pico, I have considered it for my desktop setup, but since it only has USB input, I would have nowhere to plug in my inexpensive CDP that I'm using as a transport only. I wonder if there's a breakout cable for usb.....hmmm....

Pico has USB input as well as regular analog input. All you need is a mini to w/e your CDP uses cable and you are done!

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 49
I agree with Asr, a GS-1 with Pico dac would be better, maybe Justin will have to retire some products and keep only certain ones or introduce a new line (gs-1 with pico dac)...

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Pico has USB input as well as regular analog input. All you need is a mini to w/e your CDP uses cable and you are done!

Wouldn't the signal go thru my CDP's DAC before going to the Pico? I have a cheap TEAC CDP which is why I only use it as a transport via the digital out.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the signal go thru my CDP's DAC before going to the Pico? I have a cheap TEAC CDP which is why I only use it as a transport via the digital out.

Oh you were talking about optical inputs. Then yes, you are correct. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back