Just wondering.... (power cables)
Apr 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 49
I would guess it depends on the DAC or Amp. Both of mine are considered to sound better with good PCs; i.e., Yamamoto HA-02 and the Lavry DA10.

I think an improvement occurred for me after getting the PCs that I have. Whether it is drastic or not is another question. But I think the two IeGO cables made a bigger difference than the two Virtual Dynamics PCs that I have.

I have two IeGOs on my Yamamoto HA-02 + Lavry DA10 at the computer and the VD cables are at my Easy Chair setup on the Yamamoto HA-02 and Lavry DA10 there.

Considering the price of the IeGOs I think they are worth the effort to see for yourself. I got the Silver coated plugged ones for 95$ each and the regular copper ones are about 65$ or so each.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3922785-post1.html

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 49
I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your amp and DAC to ask them if aftermarket cables are necessary with their product. You should ask if their power supplies are engineered to remove line noise, as well.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 49
The simple answer is no. If a power cable makes a difference, there's probably something wrong with the DAC or amp.

See ya
Steve

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The simple answer is no. If a power cable makes a difference, there's probably something wrong with the DAC or amp.

See ya
Steve

QFT.

If you notice a difference, it is more likely that something is wrong in your system. Of course, it doesn't stop people from throwing money into it.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 49
Don't even bother with a power cable the noise level will be the lowest possible, even unbelievable. This would make the most drastic difference of all.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can a power cable drastically change the sound of a DAC? or Amp?

Why don't you get one or several power cables, put them in your system, have a listen.
Then....
Start a thread that reads...

Power cables, what I heard

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Absolutly.

On amp, dac, cd player and even on your computer if you using your soundcard as source.

Try to get a loaner from someone or hi-fi shop and try ...

Somes peaple fight very hard to tell it's not make any differences ... don't trust them, they are confined ... try yourself and you will know ...

What I hear:

- Dynamic
- Soundstage
- Details
- Bass
- Laid back or not mids
- Warm/neutra/cold presentation
and more ...

I am not the only to hear a improvement. 95+% peaple don't write on forums and don't want to deal with "confined" peaple. :xf_cool:

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 49
I think some folks are missing the "drastically" in the sentence and responding with knee jerk answers. Who here really thinks that power cables make DRASTIC differences in sound?

See ya
Steve

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Who here really thinks that power cables make DRASTIC differences in sound?

There are differences, drastic might be too strong expression, but they might get you closer to the desired sound. Have a listen, cables are easy to audition at home.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

I think some folks are missing the "drastically" in the sentence and responding with knee jerk answers. Who here really thinks that power cables make DRASTIC differences in sound?

See ya
Steve

These threads with "clever" use of words are meant to elicit drama, nothing more.

What happened to trying a product and then debating the experience?

First question should be

"Who has tried different power cables in their systems?"

Followed by

"Who here really thinks that power cables make DRASTIC differences in sound?"

So my answers would be yes and no

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

See ya
Steve

Depends on your own perception of drastic. If a cable reduces a hiss that's been annoying a listener for months and upon placement of a power cord that makes a difference good or bad but reduces the hiss that's been driving the listener crazy for a while I would say it make a Significant difference. I would only use the word drastic if overemphasizing that first reaction you have when you say what the hell. It costs nothing to try and you cable your system with power cables significantly better for your system than you were using then maybe that "wow" affect can be interpreted as drastic with positive connotations,. What is drastic is when it takes you too far and you spend thousands of dollars to the point where the cables are worth
the same as the components. But even then some people really do experience a significant improvement when proper cables are used in the right combination with everything else in the experience. Power cable are very significant cables but they are not drastic. Just very enjoyable when done right.It is not necessary to spend a lot of time and effort fine tuning your system to achieve what your looking for but when you think you found it to the point where your listening to music again and not wondering what to change next cause it sounds fine as it is. That's the ideal.This hobby can be fun if it doesn't drive you insane first.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

See ya
Steve

The only way I see a power cord making a difference is if you run both a 16 guage then a 12 guage power cord on a Karan or McIntosh 1200W monoblock... the 16 gauge will not provide the current flow demanded, the 12 will work just fine and a 10 "may" be incrementally better than a 12...anything beyond that is cable "bling" from my experience.

Furthermore, IMO, CDPs, DACs, Preamps and piddly Headphone amps do not draw enough current to justify anything more than a properly built (good connections) 14 guage cord.

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Only if it is improperly manufactured or not up to the required lode it is being asked to bear.

In other words, only if it's really crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back