Just when I thought my system was at its peak
Nov 24, 2006 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a pretty decent system:

PSAudio P600
EMM Labs DCC2 / CDSD
Sennheiser HEV90 / HE90

All Virtual Dynamics Masters & Revelations Power Cords and IC.

The only thing I did not have was a VD Cable going from the wall to the PSAudio. For this I had a PSAudio Plus Power Cable.

Now to me, power cables make the biggest difference when coming out of regenerated power. At least in my system, I really noticed great improvements over stock and other power cables this way. I think the VD Cables are great.

Recently I found a great deal on a VD Masters Power Cable and thought, what the hell, I just need one more cable to go all VD, why not.

So I finally get this sucker yesterday. Now granted, I think my system is pretty damned good. I'm quite picky when it comes down to getting my system right, and I thought I had it pretty close to ideal (save for the ES-1 which I should be getting soon). Anyway, I replace the PSAudio Plus from the wall to the P600 with the VD Masters PC.

WOW! Honestly, I am actually a skeptical type. It has been a difficult and humbling experience to accept the fact that yes, especially in very resolving systems, differences in cables (and power cables) are quite obvious. But this small change (although this cable is in effect providing power to the whole system and the other cables) produced a MAJOR upgrade to the sound.

The only way I can describe my system is "Mo Bettah!" Its just better! Every aspect of the sound, which was already great, is just greater. The bass is fuller, the sound is more refined, the high's are smoother but more extended. I get the feeling that the whole Headphone itself is getting more power. The differences are hard to describe. The HE90's have always been a headphone, where, in the wrong system or with the wrong source material, can tend towards sibilance and leanness. While I have minimized this effect, it was still there, especially at louder listening levels. This effect has dramatically decreased.

I'll have to figure out just what has changed, since it is still too early, it has only been in my system for 2 days. However, whenever I make an upgrade and suddenly feel the urge to listen to all my favorite records again, just to hear how they now sound, makes me know that at least something big has happened, and for the better
wink.gif

=====

Skeptics need not reply! Lol

Neil

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 10
It always amazes me that people are sceptical about power related improvements. If you use a bad quality gasoline for your car, will it not perform worse compared with a top quality gasoline? Also as you have now improved the very source of your whole systems power I am not surprised at all by the improvements you are getting. If that is not logical then what is?

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't think you are an EE. If you are you ought just shoot yourself in the head
wink.gif

Take a class in EE101 and report back. Your analogy of gasoline to power cable is gravely erroneous.

Nov 24, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I replace the PSAudio Plus from the wall to the P600 with the VD Masters PC.

If you haven't already done so, I would also change the wall outlet. No sense plugging your expensive cables into a $2 wall recepticle. I used a $10 hospital grade outlet from Home Depot. You can spend much more than that for "audiophile-grade" versions if you choose to do so. I can't say if I heard any sonic improvements, but at least the plug blades are gripped much much more tightly, maximizing current.

BTW, you have a killer system.
biggrin.gif
I had the pleasure of listening to it at the Marin meet last month.

Nov 25, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Same thing happened with me. I was a skeptic and replaced the cable to the wall and got huge improvements (PS Audio Statement to Nordost Valhalla). The cable between wall and power conditioner made a bigger difference than anywhere else.
The whole system needs to be wired with the same cable for best performance.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 10
SO a power generator is better than a power conditioner? how do i know if my house has clean power or not?

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't already done so, I would also change the wall outlet. No sense plugging your expensive cables into a $2 wall recepticle. I used a $10 hospital grade outlet from Home Depot. You can spend much more than that for "audiophile-grade" versions if you choose to do so. I can't say if I heard any sonic improvements, but at least the plug blades are gripped much much more tightly, maximizing current.

BTW, you have a killer system.
biggrin.gif
I had the pleasure of listening to it at the Marin meet last month.

How true............audiophile wall outlets are relatively cheap, I use Furutech models. Also if you are homeowner it does not cost too much for electrician to run dedicated circuit from breaker box for audio system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back