Just tell me what to buy
Feb 4, 2008 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tom10167

100+ Head-Fier
What I have:
DFI Lanparty with built in 5.1 sound.
RSA Tomahawk
.......that's it.

I plan on getting HD650s and a good mic for gaming. I realize the soundcard won't be great, so what's a good recommendation?

I don't plan on immediately getting a surround system but I'd rather not spend $350 on a new that doesn't support surround.

I guess an overall budget(aside from 'phones) of $300? If that's WAY too low I'm flexible but if that gives me TONS of room to buy top of the line 6 component system -- Yeah I don't need all that.

I know this is a headache to you all but I'm not completely ignorant --just uneducated. I'll be on all night too so it shouldn't be too frusturating.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Ideally:
Soundcard = X-fi Prelude
->Coax cable from Blue Jeans.
DAC = Beresford mk6 DAC
->Analog interconnects from Blue Jeans cable.
Amp = Darkvoice 336i + new tubes, but the amp is more dependent on personal likes and taste than the other parts.

The prices are probably as follows I think:
Soundcard: 200 USD
DAC: 175 USD
Amp: 300-ish USD (Again, really depends on what you want in your amp, as (Imo) this can be the least transparent component, or vis-versa.

IT all depends on what you want in your sound, and how much you are willing to pay to get what you want.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Yikes that's a lot. It's Beresford by the way.

All right it seems like if I use a DAC I have to use an amp, correct?

How much am I giving up if I just go straight from the Prelude to HD650s?

If I go that route is it even worth buying the sound card?

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All right it seems like if I use a DAC I have to use an amp, correct?

In some cases, however, some DACs have built in head amps. The Beresford is one of them. Thing is they aren't as good as a dedicated can-amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much am I giving up if I just go straight from the Prelude to HD650s?

I would imagine you would get slightly fuzzier, smaller, noisier sound.
But I haven't tried that before so I couldn't tell you. I bet there is a 650 owner/gamer in the woodwork somewhere around here, you just need to wait for 'em to crawl out lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back