Just Starting Out - Headphones (Uplifting Trance)
Oct 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Dbfkf

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am just starting out on this journey of being an audiophile, so in essence I am a newbie.

My current set-up mostly is the computer to Sennheiser 419's (which arent that comfy for long usage) and Ipod to Sony headphones (the $20) when Im on the go. I mostly listen to Uplifting Trance. My budget at the moment would be approximately $250.

Could you please recommend me some headphones?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 38
if you are planning to use it while on the go, I don't think an open headphone like X1 would suit you anyway.  sorry about that. you need a closed back option.  can you get SoundMagic HP150?

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 38
  if you are planning to use it while on the go, I don't think an open headphone like X1 would suit you anyway.  sorry about that. you need a closed back option.  can you get SoundMagic HP150?

Hey appsmarsterx,

I was not looking to wear them on the go... mainly for indoor usage at the moment.

The SoundMagic arent available in Canada either. No need to apologize, thank you for your recommendations!

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 38
Dbfkf,

if you can get SoundMagic HP200, it is also a great all-rounder. is it under your budget ?  

http://www.amazon.ca/SoundMAGIC-HP200-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B00DJ61FHY

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 38
  Dbfkf,

if you can get SoundMagic HP200, it is also a great all-rounder. is it under your budget ?  

http://www.amazon.ca/SoundMAGIC-HP200-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B00DJ61FHY

Thanks again! But it is again a third-party re-seller on Amazon and I have a hard time trusting them. I'll keep an eye out for this if Amazon starts stocking them.

Any views on the Audio-Techinca M50x? Everyone I speak to (outside of this forum) seems to be fired up about them.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 38
m50x is a good option.  but still very average product imo.  the main reason m50x exist is because of the removable cable, otherwise sound signature is same as the old m50. since you can spend up to $250, I would avoid m50 and go with a better option to minimize the further upgrades in the future. I have bought many products from trusted 3rd party sellers on Amazon and hadn't had any issues so far. (maybe you have different experience with 3rd party sellers) btw that Amazon seller seems trustworthy and has a great feedback so far. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 38
  m50x is a good option.  but still very average product imo.  the main reason m50x exist is because of the removable cable, otherwise sound signature is same as the old m50. since you can spend up to $250, I would avoid m50 and go with a better option to minimize the further upgrades in the future. I have bought many products from trusted 3rd party sellers on Amazon and hadn't had any issues so far. (maybe you have different experience with 3rd party sellers) btw that Amazon seller seems trustworthy and has a great feedback so far. 

Thats what I was worried about. Audio-Technica sounds a la Beats marketing ploy.

Any views on Sennheiser HD 558/598's? Tried them in store and they sounded amazing, minus the 6.3mm jack.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 38
they both are great imo. 558 is little warmer and 598 sounds little brighter with excellent open soundstage. both are very comfortable. yes. as you mentioned jack can be annoying. anyway you can get a different cable later. if you can't get a SoundMagic, then go with a 598. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 38
also look in to akg k550, if you can get them. 

p.s: but 598,k550 might lack some bass impact for your genere preference. if the bass is not your main priority, you might be satisfied with both options.

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 38

Thats what I was worried about. Audio-Technica sounds a la Beats marketing ploy.

Any views on Sennheiser HD 558/598's? Tried them in store and they sounded amazing, minus the 6.3mm jack.

If you want something warmer sounding (and easy to drive) theres the hifiman he300
EDIT: Nevermind. The price is a bit steep in canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Back