Just Spent 100 Bucks On AD700 With Boom Mic Mod, Worth It?
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

biggbenn74

500+ Head-Fier
Today, I splurged the second most amount of money for a pair of headphones (I'm getting rid of all of my vintage stock, just for 1 or 2 new ones) on the Audio-Technica AD700, a headset with boom mic (which will be used on the headphones, and some Velcro to attach it all. 100 bucks is the total. Did I do good?

I'm mainly going to be using them for gaming, as I have the AKG Q701 for my main music listening, as well as many others. But, I don't have a single microphone headphone, so I'm going to do the most common mod for the AD700 and put a boom mic on them.

I've heard the bass is "lacking" and from the standpoint of the Q701, I might not have any issues with the bass. I have a couple of amplifiers that might fix this little issue. I have been eyeing a pair of these for about a year now, and I saw some for 70 bucks refurbished, so I bought them on impulse. This is my fatal flaw, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll post when I get them, how they sound, the usual deal and whatnot. In the meantime, maybe somebody reading this that has the AD700 could give me a good idea as of what to expect/ what to do to the sound, that'd be great. :)

I'm a bit nervous about buying them, I love my Q701, I guess I just wanted a good companion for them, a compliment pair, if you would. Ones that I can game with, and Skype, and watch YouTube. Any suggestions on further improvements will be looked into. Ones that cost the least amount of money will be looked on the most. :)

All of this being said, I also bought an Altoids amp. Seemed legit for 30 bucks shipped, I snagged it. Hoping it works as well as my equivalent FiiO amp. Will post results in separate thread.

Total spent today: too much for a regular day. There goes my scholarship money. Oh well, I'll try and sell my vintage headphones for a good price (pm me if you are interested in any of my vintage headphones, maybe we can work out a price.)

That's all I have for now. Thanks for reading! Stay tuned! -BiggBenn

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Worth it

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 3
Wow. They are easily worth it. I have been enjoying these things for a few days now. I'm going to post a larger review in a few days, along with a comparison between the AD700 and the Q701. Quite a spectacular set of headphones for the price.

Stay tuned. -BiggBenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back