Just some advice on a tube amp/ first setup
Sep 2, 2008 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jordanross

100+ Head-Fier
So here's the situation:

I am about to pull the trigger and start my first full sized home system, meaning, (headphones, amp, source, cables).

I am kind of keen on making the Grado 325i's my first purchase.
For a source I was looking at the Marantz CD5001.
Cables I was just going to get some blue jeans cables.

This is my main problem:
I am having trouble picking an amp. I have narrowed it down to two, the Darkvoice 336i (although the 336se looks worlds better) or the Little Dot MK3.

I have been leaning toward the Little dot, but I hear it is harder to roll tubes on the LD than the DV. But not impossible and not a huge deal. (if i'm wrong, i'm sorry)

Which amp is going to be better suited for the Grados, or is it an even tie?

This is all up in the air so suggestions on any of the components would be greatly appreciated.

By the by I listen to mostly classical and classic rock: Queen-Pink Floyd to Bach-Beethoven

Thanks in advance, I just figured it would be a good idea to get some input before I pulled the trigger.

Yours Humbly,
Jordan

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey Jordan

With the CD5001 you can't go wrong IMO. I really enjoy it. In reference to the LD or DV it's a toss up. The LD has impedance switching which will work with Grados. I have never switched my gain on my LD (high) so I can't personally advise. The DV sounds good with Grados, however, I use mine with higher impedance phones and it really makes them shine.
Tube rolling is just as easy on either. The LD has 2 driver and 2 power tubes where the DV has one of each. Gently rock and pull and insert.

Good luck
Jes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back