Just snapped the tips off my Shure 535's
Oct 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #46 of 61

Quote:
I'd bet that I could break my Koss headphones any way I wanted and they would give me a new pair ($150 street, $250msrp)... Same thing apparently for some Monster earphones ($200-500), but only one time. It seems like this thing is not uncommon, or terribly difficult for the companies to do... Why can't Shure do it for a top of the line product? If I break it so what? Koss and Monster can handle it, is Shure too financially unsound to handle the small monetary loss?

... Well, I assume it is as long as you don't tell them what you did to them. XD

No idea what the OP said to the Shure customer service or why the guy there thought it had something to do with the drivers... but maybe speaking to someone else might help the scenario?

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #47 of 61

Quote:
I'd bet that I could break my Koss headphones any way I wanted and they would give me a new pair ($150 street, $250msrp)... Same thing apparently for some Monster earphones ($200-500), but only one time. It seems like this thing is not uncommon, or terribly difficult for the companies to do... Why can't Shure do it for a top of the line product? If I break it so what? Koss and Monster can handle it, is Shure too financially unsound to handle the small monetary loss?

I don't know how Monster or Koss can do what they do...Must be pretty inexpensive to begin with..as might be with Shure..earsonics..Westone etc..I just could not be surprised if I told a manufacturer something like I shut my earphones in a car door..and they would not give me a replacement or huge discount.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #48 of 61

Quote:
I dont think it is a common problem to slam them in a car door. Show me a armature IEM that would withstand that.

Nothing in the universal market, for certain. But this is yet another area where Sensaphonics silicone rules...

Sensa also makes silicone sleeves for most Shure models. No guarantees, but the material, by its nature, offers significant shock protection...

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #49 of 61
What did the OP tell Shure they'd done to them?  Me, I'd have just said the two nozzles snapped within a couple of days of each other and I wanted a replacement pair free of charge under warranty.

Ironic you mention considering the SM3, as the nozzle on my pair snapped off and Earsonics replaced them totally free of charge within about 10 days round trip.

I've always had a bad feeling about Shure - just as I do with Sennheiser.  It could be complete illogical nonsense, or it could be my highly advanced Jedi skills. But I don't trust or want to go near either company for some reason. Brrr, makes me shiver thinking about them.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #50 of 61

Quote:
What did the OP tell Shure they'd done to them?  Me, I'd have just said the two nozzles snapped within a couple of days of each other and I wanted a replacement pair free of charge under warranty.

Ironic you mention considering the SM3, as the nozzle on my pair snapped off and Earsonics replaced them totally free of charge within about 10 days round trip.

I've always had a bad feeling about Shure - just as I do with Sennheiser.  It could be complete illogical nonsense, or it could be my highly advanced Jedi skills. But I don't trust or want to go near either company for some reason. Brrr, makes me shiver thinking about them.

Did you tell earsonics you shut them in a car door? And if you did...would you have been surprised they would'nt replace them free? Not just one side but both? I think that is the point..I would for sure expect Shure or anyone else to replace for free with one side or both  broke off from bad workmanship...not from slamming in my car door. As you stated..I don't know exactly what the op said he told shure. but.it seems the debate here is "would shure replace them if they were slammed and broke in a car door" Wouldn't expect any company to do that.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #51 of 61
Stupid debate then.  Why the hell would you tell Shure you'd snapped them in a car door?  Ha - if thats what he said, then he deserves to pay for them to be replaced. Duh.

Sorry to be blunt, but its about what you can get for free by lying. If Shure are any cop, they'll accept his pack of fibs and swap them out with no fuss. If they're evil and cruel heartless robots from the planet Money, they'll stamp on his wedding tackle while raping his wallet.

Quote:
Did you tell earsonics you shut them in a car door? And if you did...would you have been surprised they would'nt replace them free? Not just one side but both? I think that is the point..I would for sure expect Shure or anyone else to replace for free with one side or both  broke off from bad workmanship...not from slamming in my car door. As you stated..I don't know exactly what the op said he told shure. but.it seems the debate here is "would shure replace them if they were slammed and broke in a car door" Wouldn't expect any company to do that.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #52 of 61
I wouldn't mess with any kind of adhesive repair.  Going to be pretty challenging NOT to get glue into the apertures.
Sounds like a remold into customs is your best/safest bet.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #54 of 61
I agree for sure here!! I would have played dumb and hoped for the best. My point was..all the reply's saying Monster Koss etc would replace under same circumstances..I just would not even tell Monster with their one time replacement that I shut them in a car door!!!

Quote:
Stupid debate then.  Why the hell would you tell Shure you'd snapped them in a car door?  Ha - if thats what he said, then he deserves to pay for them to be replaced. Duh.

Sorry to be blunt, but its about what you can get for free by lying. If Shure are any cop, they'll accept his pack of fibs and swap them out with no fuss. If they're evil and cruel heartless robots from the planet Money, they'll stamp on his wedding tackle while raping his wallet.

Quote:

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #55 of 61
The profit on Monsters and their single dynamic driver made in huge #s is enormously higher than Shure's with 3 knowles BAs, Xover,labor etc. Shure (and you) are not paying more for the box, accessories and marketing than the actual product. IMO you got ripped in the purchase but feel good about the replacement? I know it's up to the individual what's a good value but so much is just personal perspective and marketing. I agree Shure would be better off accomidating more of this for good will but I think it's the local UK distributor and not Shure corp that's the problem here. When I had 530s replaced in the US, it was the easiest and most accomidating repair experience I've ever had. Seems the brits don't get the same consideration from their distributor.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #56 of 61

Quote:
Just spoke to Kelly from the Shure repair centre ...
She told me that the drivers cannot be repaired and that I'd have to purchase new drivers at a cost of £146 each ... and that's with a 35% discount.
Time to try the super-glue/Permatex !

Damn.

Ask Shure to send you a free replacement nozzle part only, and make fixed by re-sheller or somebody! 
... or DIY

wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #57 of 61

Quote:
I would try to send them back. Just tell that when you were removing them from your ears, the nozzles came off
biggrin.gif

edit: read your last message. That's bull: the drivers are probably not damaged, it's only the plastic nozzles which are broken. Price for them to replace the housing: probably less than $10. Shure: you suck.
146£ for one driver?  Are those made out of gold?

... Just tell them when you where removing the default tips from the nozzles to install a smaller one, the nozzles come apparts suddenly!
if not work, then use a Bic pen and use your imagination! 

biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #58 of 61

Quote:
Looking at the pic, it's just the nozzle and the drivers wouldn't be damaged at all. Why is Shure talking about replacing drivers???

because the girl at shure know nothing about IEM

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #59 of 61
Tell the truth. Manufacturers use returrns to help determine how to update or redesign the next generation products. Lying adds noise.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #60 of 61
  you want to build up epoxy around the diameter of the tubes, not in. an easy way to do this is to get superglue and put the tiniest bit you can manage, just to hold the tips on the drivers from falling off. Once that is done, build up a joint of epoxy around the diameter on the outside and let it cure. This will ensure that nothing will be in the sound path. 

I know this post is 6 years old, but just want to say thanks for the tip (pun intended).

I fixed a snapped-off tip of my SE535 earphones using this method and it seems strong (I've been using it for a couple of weeks without further issues) and sounds just like before. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back