Just snapped the tips off my Shure 535's
Oct 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #31 of 61

Quote:
nice to know Shure didnt spend any effort in trying to fix this very common problem since the update from the SE530's. Overpriced POS if you ask me. They may sound good, but they're stil POS nonetheless...

Ok, Im not totally diagreeing that shure could make the products stronger but I dont think it is a common problem to slam them in a car door. Show me a armature IEM that would withstand that. The dynamics have a thicker nozzle for obvious reasons but I dont think any of the armature models would survive a car door.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #33 of 61

Quote:
Ok, Im not totally diagreeing that shure could make the products stronger but I dont think it is a common problem to slam them in a car door. Show me a armature IEM that would withstand that. The dynamics have a thicker nozzle for obvious reasons but I dont think any of the armature models would survive a car door.

From personal experience, I'd wager the nozzles wouldn't even survive much lesser impacts. Look at the tons of reports of the nozzles snapping off the SE530s when users tried to remove the tips. It happened to me on a brand new pair of 530's, and I honestly wasn't using much force at all. It's pretty sad when the nozzle of a 400+ dollar iem snaps before the actual ear tip comes loose... Completely ridiculous. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #34 of 61
I kinda wonder why Shure didn't do what they did with the E4 with all their products. It has a removable and a user replaceable nozzle..

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #36 of 61
Super glue to tack and some epoxy build around is what 2 of us have recommended. The situation that your in now is different as the bond will only be as strong as the residual of what was already used. Clean and rough up around the crack tack again with what was used ( SG would have been fine but you're probably be better off with what came before) and then use a strong epoxy around the stem. Wait a good day to use. Any glue would have failed as a simple contact adhesive. Lots of forces and a small compromised area.

I had 530s for some time and was not gentle with the tips with no issues. They were very sturdy. I suspect most with issues are cracking these without knowing it before attempting a tip removal. The 90* nozzle would be easy to unknowingly stress if not in the case.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #37 of 61
Wow.  Any time I swap the tips on a set of Shures I am always afraid that they are going to snap off the same way. 

I am pretty surprised that Shure was not more helpful, that is disappointing.  Why buy a company's product new when you can save hundreds buying used if the company won't even stand behind their product.  Yes, these were somewhat extenuating circumstances, but really those kinds of circumstances are the true measure of customer service.

I broke a pair of UE700s about a month after I bought them, totally my fault.  I called UE(Logitech) and they shipped out a replacement set, no questions asked.

Hell, I bought a pair of UE TF 10s used on ebay, and broke one of the headphones(my fault again) and the seller sent me a replacement IEM that day!

Maybe I have just been lucky, but if I were you I would try to get my issue elevated to whatever the next level of management is.  Just because a Customer Service rep. tells you no, does not mean that their superior will say the same.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 61
I think you people are not reading the thread or just dont remember these were NOT snapped off changing the tips. They were slammed in a car door. Why would Shure need to cover that lol. I also think they misunderstood something to think the drivers were bad.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #40 of 61
Exactly,  Shure has nothing to do with it.  That would be like moving somewhere, hanging your flatscreen TV on the wall to have it fall a couple days later and smash and then call Sony to ask what they could do for you?

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #41 of 61

Quote:
Exactly,  Shure has nothing to do with it.  That would be like moving somewhere, hanging your flatscreen TV on the wall to have it fall a couple days later and smash and then call Sony to ask what they could do for you?

True say, Shure didn't have to do anything about it. But a nice gesture would probably do Shure more good (from a marketing perspective) than the cost for them to replace it

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #44 of 61
Couldn't agree more. I don't care what kind of Iem's they are..they were slammed in a car door. I would never think they would be replaced by the company. I feel bad for the op but that is just a freak accident that may cost a bit!!

Quote:
I think you people are not reading the thread or just dont remember these were NOT snapped off changing the tips. They were slammed in a car door. Why would Shure need to cover that lol. I also think they misunderstood something to think the drivers were bad.

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #45 of 61
I'd bet that I could break my Koss headphones any way I wanted and they would give me a new pair ($150 street, $250msrp)... Same thing apparently for some Monster earphones ($200-500), but only one time. It seems like this thing is not uncommon, or terribly difficult for the companies to do... Why can't Shure do it for a top of the line product? If I break it so what? Koss and Monster can handle it, is Shure too financially unsound to handle the small monetary loss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back