Just snapped the tips off my Shure 535's
Oct 19, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #16 of 61

Quote:
I heard so many good things about Shure's customer service.... and they won't replace a plastic shell for $500 IEMs? 
confused_face.gif

Guys. it's not about parts price. These aren't built to be opened or rebuilt. It's replacement or nothing from Shure. Just go custom and don't blame Shure for not repairing. I do think the replacement cost a bit steep however, especially if on exchange.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 61
Hi Guys

I was hoping that they'd offer to replace them for free but I realise that I was being a little optimistic.
It's my fault so I can't bitch too much but I was hoping for something better than a 35% discount ...
To be honest, prior to purchasing these, I was more interested in the SM3 because of all the good reviews they were getting. The reason why I chose these Shures instead was because of the build quality... and then I go and snap the tips off!!!

Anyhow, I've bought myself a tube of expensive glue ... fingers crossed.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 61
Wow... How did u break the tips off?? And yet both of them..
Becareful with the glue though, don't let the glue block the sound.

Re shell yours should be a better idea.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 61
you want to build up epoxy around the diameter of the tubes, not in. an easy way to do this is to get superglue and put the tiniest bit you can manage, just to hold the tips on the drivers from falling off. Once that is done, build up a joint of epoxy around the diameter on the outside and let it cure. This will ensure that nothing will be in the sound path. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #21 of 61

Quote:
you want to build up epoxy around the diameter of the tubes, not in. an easy way to do this is to get superglue and put the tiniest bit you can manage, just to hold the tips on the drivers from falling off. Once that is done, build up a joint of epoxy around the diameter on the outside and let it cure. This will ensure that nothing will be in the sound path. 

^ Good tip there, I guess you have nothing to lose either; if gluing doesn't work out you could reshell them or pay they replacement fee. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 61
I know for sure that the 530 can be reshelled and upgraded, but I am not sure if the 535 can be upgraded. I guess i will call and find out today.
Good luck with your super glue project.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 61
I'm pretty sure that the SE535 uses the same drivers as the SE530. They are just tuned slightly differently. UM would have no problem remolding and adding more drivers.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 61
I remember somewhere in the SE535 it being mentioned from a response by Shure that the SE535 uses the same drivers but tweaked a bit and different driver placement.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 61
Fisher says that they can reshell any armature based drivers so that would be the best option if you ask me. But of course UM can do it also but I think they charge more. You would have to check on that yourself though.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #26 of 61
I went ahead last night and glued the tips back onto the IEM bodies - I didn't have anything to lose.
After leaving them aside for 12 hrs or so, I'm happy to report that they appear to be ok ... sounding just as good as before.
They're probably a bit more delicate than before so I'm keeping them in the supplied case when not in use.

This is the glue I used - it's powered by MS technology!!!

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 61
nice to know Shure didnt spend any effort in trying to fix this very common problem since the update from the SE530's. Overpriced POS if you ask me. They may sound good, but they're stil POS nonetheless...

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #30 of 61
Good luck with the super glue but Im afraid that there is way too much stress on the nozels that it has little to no chance. This sucks for you, I hope it somehow works. Id be willing to bet the only real way to go here is to turn them into some awesome customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back