Just saw The Hurt Locker...what a brilliant movie
Feb 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #18 of 38
I didn't hear much buzz about the film until recently. I am going to buy a blu-ray copy today.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't hear much buzz about the film until recently. I am going to buy a blu-ray copy today.

Probably because at it's core it's a low budget indie film, that blew up. I just read that it's the lowest grossing film to make it into the best picture category. The great part is that it's going up against the highest grossing film this year. It will be fun to watch what happens.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 38
Now this movie was absolutely brilliant, yet so under hyped it truly deserved a lot more credit.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 38
Agreed, this is an amazing, amazing movie. When I was in the military I knew a guy like that. Saw him one morning, and next day he was in the papers. And we were doing controlled detonations in a training base!

I could absolutely feel the sweat on the EOD team's faces.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #24 of 38
Ok, I just saw this movie for the second time, this time on blu-ray. It didn't do anything for me the first time I saw it and I thought a second viewing could make me see things that I might have missed and help me understand why this is such a great movie (supposedly) but...no...still nothing.

I really don't get it, I would give this movie maybe 6.9/10.
Sure the cinematography is great and the effects(explosions) and action scenes too. Besides that though I really don't see what's so great about it, the acting is decent nothing more, the dialogue is nothing special and some scenes were pretty illogical.

I'm sorry guys but this movie didn't stir a single emotion in me (ok the action scenes were somewhat exciting) and I can't for the life of me understand how this beat out Inglourious Basterds and District 9 for Best Film. (don't think I saw any of the other nominees)

But hey, I guess that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 38
This movie sure reminds me when I deployed to Iraq but this camera shaking thingee really makes me nauseous. I don't know what it is but many modern movies have these shaking camera cinematography these days. But yes it is very good movie and more realistic than other war movies that I have seen.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This movie sure reminds me when I deployed to Iraq but this camera shaking thingee really makes me nauseous. I don't know what it is but many modern movies have these shaking camera cinematography these days. But yes it is very good movie and more realistic than other war movies that I have seen.

A lot of people that i know don't like the shaky cams for the same reason. I, on the other hand, love them
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish more things used shaky cams. Cloverfield was definitely one of my favorite movies for the handheld camera view the whole time. Gives me a sense of action and realism; if I'm in a similar stressing situation my eyes are going to be darting around as well, not moving smoothly through the scenery as if everything's ok.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I just saw this movie for the second time, this time on blu-ray. It didn't do anything for me the first time I saw it and I thought a second viewing could make me see things that I might have missed and help me understand why this is such a great movie (supposedly) but...no...still nothing.

I really don't get it, I would give this movie maybe 6.9/10.
Sure the cinematography is great and the effects(explosions) and action scenes too. Besides that though I really don't see what's so great about it, the acting is decent nothing more, the dialogue is nothing special and some scenes were pretty illogical.

I'm sorry guys but this movie didn't stir a single emotion in me (ok the action scenes were somewhat exciting) and I can't for the life of me understand how this beat out Inglourious Basterds and District 9 for Best Film. (don't think I saw any of the other nominees)

But hey, I guess that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Right there with you. Hurt Locker struck me as the sort of film that is popular in it's season but will quickly fade from memory.

I get what it was trying to portray as far as what the characters were going through, but i wouldn't rate it higher than "competent".

Had some problems, too. Like the bloody clip thing. In that same sequence, the whole foil-pack juice thing struck me as odd, but maybe I'm just out of touch with modern warfare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back