Just received the D2000's - Initial Impressions and Screw question!
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SHP53

Head-Fier
Just received my Denon AH-D2000s and am currently listening to some dubstep. All I really have to say right now is that the low and high end are remarkably better in all aspects in comparison to the AudioTechnica M50S - however, the mids are a bit recessed as far as I can see... with a sufficient amount of burn-in does the mid range start to open up a bit? Other than that though, these are amazing phones right now!

Also the screw question, I know it is the pivot screws. Should I go ahead and apply loctite to them before they start to unscrew themselves? Because I'm very scared of that happening actually. And if so, where exactly do I apply the loctite?

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 20
True, but I was just wondering. Overall, however, I'm very satisfied with this purchase as a newbie of head-fi

In addition to that, EDIT: You seem like a long-time owner of the D2000's, have you ever encountered any problems with the screws?

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 20
I felt like the mids opened up for some some after about 100 hours. I have no issue with the screw, so I'd leave it and fix it only if necessary.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 20
same, my d2000 never gave me any problems while i had them...

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 20
They should balance out a bit, but the mids are recessed on this can when fully burned in.  Balanced mids and tighter (but less prominent) bass are move up factors to the D5000 and/or D7000.

Just keep an eye on your screws.  Don't fix what ain't broke.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 20
Alright, well I did not want to go through the hassle of opening up my cans just to tighten the screws when I can just Loctite them now from the outside. But it seems like the screw issue isn't THAT common, so I'll give it a wait.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 20
Alright! I will wait for them to break. Which screw is it, though? Is it the screw that allows the cups to swivel left to right or the screw that allows it to swivel up and down?

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
if it aint broken, dont fix it!! i understand your worry, but the screw problem has been overly exaggerated!!, just treat these cans carefully and they will last!!

"Au contraire" my friend... 

The "screw problem" has not been overly exagerated in the least.  There are many failures... and... there shouldn't be in such expensive phones.  

And... it makes no difference how careful you are with them... the nuts simply come off, the cup falls off, and the tiny pieces fall into the carpet, never to be seen again... even with the most gentle care (as mine had).  One side had problems, the other hasn't (so far).  But... I do have an extra set... just in case the other side suddenly falls off... as it could.  

So... if you want to make certain... it's best to "have some insurance."  

Though... I wouldn't attempt to "fix it, if it's not broken" - just be sure you've got the replacements, if it should happen to you.  On the other hand... I might... attempt to remove the chrome trim cap to tighten the nut and apply some Locktite to prevent it from happening on that side - though, they aren't easy to remove.  But... I'd do one, or the other - get a back up set or two... or... tighten the nut and apply Locktite - whichever works for you - unless you like to gamble.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Actually...I've been a D5000 owner since it's been released as well.  I've had the damn cup fall off 3 times.  I've heard reports that recent models of these headphones had this problem "fixed", but I really can't be certain of that since I only have mine.  Either way, I think it's a lot of luck and has to do with if you hold it and walk around while letting the cups swivel a lot.

Not really certain, but yes...mine are freaking glued in and I want the hours of my life back spent with my face in the carpet looking for those damn screws lol.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Actually...I've been a D5000 owner since it's been released as well.  I've had the damn cup fall off 3 times.  I've heard reports that recent models of these headphones had this problem "fixed", but I really can't be certain of that since I only have mine.  Either way, I think it's a lot of luck and has to do with if you hold it and walk around while letting the cups swivel a lot.

Not really certain, but yes...mine are freaking glued in and I want the hours of my life back spent with my face in the carpet looking for those damn screws lol.

I find it curious that the quality seem to differ so much. I've heard several people saying that the screws are a bit of a problem, while some haven't had a problem at all. I've travelled a lot with mine and they have a lot of usage and still not a single problem with the screws! Maybe the cups will fall off soon though.. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back