Just received Qualia 010
Oct 7, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
red "X"
confused.gif

-Ed

at least you see something, I don't see any images at all.
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 30
Geez, wonder what you will amass in another year? Got enough Cans to hold your own meet, hi-end only of course. Perhaps you can add the Stealth, a couple KGs and Rudi amps to your collection
biggrin.gif
Not that ya need them.

Nice post. Looking fwd to more impressions and pics would be nice too. Nice to have a new Qualia voice. These are also fun to read about
biggrin.gif
Now need an 010 smile.

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #20 of 30
amazing looking setup there mate
biggrin.gif
congrats, really hope you enjoy and pass on your experiences to us wanting members
smily_headphones1.gif

btw trevor might wanna get rid of that email there as the bots are known to scan this site... perhaps just write at not @

Cheers
-jake

Oct 7, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by globalbee
The Qualia 010 headphones just arrived. I have been listening to them for only a few hours, so these are just initial impressions. Also, note that the 010's have had limited time to break-in. First, while in Mikhail's hands and now a few in mine.

To get this out of the way, the 010's weigh nothing and are very comfortable. They are entirely open. Everyone listens to what is being played. You can hear their conversations.

My first reaction was that of being taken back. The sound is quite different than other headphones. They are highly resolved. Brutally neutral. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon the source material, source and amp feeding into them. More on that in a bit.

My understanding is that Sony designed these headphones to highlight the qualities and capabilities of SACD. Okay, that was accomplished. Right now I am listening to Alison Krauss - Forget About It SACD. Great recording and the 010's reveal everything. (Marantz SA8260 & Maestro ZR) Detail, clarity and layered. Electrostatic transients. Wide and natural headstage. Take the volume down, very little disappears. That's says something. Definitely one of the great headphones.

Not being a proponent of short term A/B testing, it will take time to define perceived differences between the 010 and other headphones. For comparison I have the Orpheus HE90/HEV90, Stax Omega II with 007t, 650's and PS-1 plus several dynamic amps. Unfortunately, R10's have not yet arrived. Probably the Orpheus and R10's would be most comparable.

One other consideration is that no amp has yet been tuned to maximize the 010's. By that I mean a year of fidgeting. That places them somewhat at disadvantage, but that is the way it is right now. Various tubes are on the way from Mikhail for tube rolling the Maestro ZR. (Note: Maestro ZR is truly an amazing reference amp/preamp.) Also, these headphones need a hundred hours of burn-in. That is apparent.

The Qualia 010 are so very resolved that some CD's can sound like a bunch of 0's and 1's. Too digital for my tastes. Not all CD's, but some. That's the yang of highly resolve's ying. Some source material may prefer a bit of coloration. But, play something well recorded and it's magic. A stack of music is waiting its turn. (One question . . . Should headphones be designed to fix a flawed source?)

The more that I listen, the more that I think, "get the front end right, get the best tube match, use good recordings and this will be unbelievable." So, I will wait for the tubes, then move the Maestro over to my reference source and then try again.

The more that I listen, the more I am impressed.

You do not know the RP010 (www.rudistor.com) or you do not believe that this amp is built for the specs of the Qualia 010 ? (And the sound of the combo confirm this !!!).

I agree with your first impressions... some things you have said is exactly what I said in that long thread...

Congrats !

And welcome in the " QualiaMafia "

Best!
Nicola

Oct 7, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

One other consideration is that no amp has yet been tuned to maximize the 010's. By that I mean a year of fidgeting.

Nik, I think he gave the answer here
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #23 of 30
Glad your enjoying the phones! I look forward to more impressions as time passes.

Oct 7, 2004 at 9:28 AM Post #24 of 30
congrats on the Qualia , they are one particular gear and they're even difficult to compare . I'm going to re-listen them shortly .

..and , please , could you add some pics again or am i asking too much ?

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

[...] My first reaction was that of being taken back. The sound is quite different than other headphones. They are highly resolved. Brutally neutral. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon the source material, source and amp feeding into them. More on that in a bit.

[...]

The Qualia 010 are so very resolved that some CD's can sound like a bunch of 0's and 1's. Too digital for my tastes. Not all CD's, but some. [...]

That sounds like bad news. The poor people who are limiting themselves to a one-source CD-based system...

Oct 7, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #26 of 30
I have two questions for you gobalbee...

first off how long did it take you to get them from the order to arrive?, and how much (ballpark) did they go for?

I have read you will be driving them using a xp7 if I am not correct?
have you heard rays hr-2 and sr-71 amp with them, either way how do you think the RAY sound sounds with these cans?

the reason I ask is because these are probably going to be my next can after my source upgrade in two months..
I have a hr-2 ans was wondering about the sound with these phones (not that I doubt ray's amps just want a opinion)

thank you and welcome to headfi, where you already seem have the wallet probelm...lol

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #27 of 30
It took about a month, but I should not quote prices. Paid probably a little bit more to get them early.

I have been listening to them with the Maestro ZR. That is what I would use at home. I will try them again on the XP-7. I must say that they sound very good on that amp. The Maestro ZR is much better, but it should be for the cost. The two amps were designed to be in different price brackets. Both should be judged that way.

XP-7 versus SR-71? I will check this for you, but I am almost positive that the 010's will show that the XP-7 is a better fit. Even with WAV files. On the other hand, try walking around with a XP-7 on your belt. Ray made two wonderful amps to fit different situations.

I must say again that the 010, XP-7 and DAT with 16/44 recordings is very pleasant. Absolutely great for mobility.

Using the above combination for travel does seem to be crazy. Maybe the thought of being in another country for 3 of every 5 weeks provides a different perspective. It is a very pleasant relief to have great music available.

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Ithe reason I ask is because these are probably going to be my next can after my source upgrade in two months.

Oh no!!! bhd812, a hard Grado sound fan and Grado "metal" collector wants to defect. Oh no.....
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I have two questions for you gobalbee...

first off how long did it take you to get them from the order to arrive?, and how much (ballpark) did they go for?

I have read you will be driving them using a xp7 if I am not correct?
have you heard rays hr-2 and sr-71 amp with them, either way how do you think the RAY sound sounds with these cans?

the reason I ask is because these are probably going to be my next can after my source upgrade in two months..
I have a hr-2 ans was wondering about the sound with these phones (not that I doubt ray's amps just want a opinion)

thank you and welcome to headfi, where you already seem have the wallet probelm...lol

Glad to see you post globalbee,
bhd812 the usa price quoated at the meet at the NY qualia store price is 2600.00 about 3 days shipping time,according to our sales rep Josh Kim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back