Just received my HD800 :) Anybody else using the HD800 with a Lavry DA10 / DA11?
Jun 2, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 52
Yes I agree with you, the F1 rocks (I'm a former AKG K1000 lover however the complete lack of sound isolation makes some basically unusable for me which is why I sold them).

However, I believe the Lavry can competently amp them.  Not the best, but certainly of highish end quality.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 52
Just received the K1000!
Have been listening for about half an hour now.
Foobar 2000 -> M2Tech HiFace -> Lavry DA10 -> Samson Servo 260 power amp -> AKG K1000
First impression: Very good! :) Defenately like the K1000 a LOT better than the HD800.
It does many things right that the HD800 failed to do in my opinion. Great impact and a realistic and understandable presentation.
Will do more listening later tonight and perhaps a small review and better comparison with HD800 tomorrow.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #19 of 52
Oh my.......
Amazing.

Half an hour ago I had a few tears rolling down my cheaks. A first with headphones.
That was when I still had the K1000 hooked up to the Samson Servo 260 power amp (low budget studio amp).
But.. I just improvised a connection to the Lavry DA10 headphone out 5 min ago...
Jaw dropping!
I was missing out on a LOT of detail and speed etc etc with the Servo 260.
And Lavry certainately drives the K1000 loud enough. (Though I may be getting slightly less bass impact compared to the Servo 260)
This is an AMAZING headphone!!!
I'm getting scared now.. this thing will get even better with a good power amp??
What about a Bryston 2B-LP? Anybody tried it with the K1000?

Thanks head-fi for letting me find the K1000!! :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #20 of 52
One thing I'm really puzzled about now...
How can there be people here who say the HD800 is better than the K1000?
I mean it's a completely non comparison to me, they're so different.
The K1000 is high-end to me, the HD800 isn't. To my ears the difference is huge, K1000 completely outclasses HD800.
I mean, I couldn't even hear how great my DA10 is with the HD800, strange Sennheiser "veil", uninvolvement, strange eq curve, etc.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 52
its personal preference I guess.  but I'm glad you found your nirvanha with the k1000.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 52
Glad you like them. At this point you are going to be running into the law of diminishing returns. I bought my F1 for peace of mind so I wouldn't have to worry about future upgrades lol(all the reviews were very positive). I think the k1000 sounds better off it than the lavry hp out but it is NOT a night and day difference. I can swap back to the lavry hp out and it still sounds good. 

Btw I listen at 40-45 on the lavry volume. I've always wondered how loud other people like to listen. 
L3000.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #23 of 52
Congrats on the F1! I prefer the K1000 to the HD800 as well. However I prefer my speakers (jmlab 816) to the K1000 -- and they cost me half the price.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #24 of 52

Quote:
Glad you like them. At this point you are going to be running into the law of diminishing returns. I bought my F1 for peace of mind so I wouldn't have to worry about future upgrades lol(all the reviews were very positive). I think the k1000 sounds better off it than the lavry hp out but it is NOT a night and day difference. I can swap back to the lavry hp out and it still sounds good. 

Btw I listen at 40-45 on the lavry volume. I've always wondered how loud other people like to listen. 
L3000.gif

Can you tell me what are the (small) differences between the F1 and DA10 headphone out?
I'm hoping the the sound becomes a little bit more balanced towards the bass. I did get a slightly more solid bass out of the Servo 260 (though it was greatly inferior to the DA10 headphone out overall, night and day difference actually, I knew the Servo 260 was bad but never knew it is this bad)

Yes I'm listening at 40-45 on the Lavry too. But ideally I'd like to listen a lot softer.
But this level sounds best with the K1000 to me. I think the sound is a little bit too "tipped upwards" at lower levels to me.

Quote:
Congrats on the F1! I prefer the K1000 to the HD800 as well. However I prefer my speakers (jmlab 816) to the K1000 -- and they cost me half the price.

Yes I understand that.
Though the K1000 has my speakers (tannoy 638) beat in most areas for sure.
But speaker presentation in a good sounding / treated room (which my room sadly isn't right now) I do prefer.
I'm actually still a little bit in doubt wether I'm going to keep the K1000.
I got the for a fair price and thought I'd try it out, if I don't like it I can allways sell them again for the same price.
But right after I bought them (over a week before the arrived) I allready regretted it and started searching for good speakers, and re-ordening my furniture in my living room and put my Tannoys up for sale.
But now the K1000 have arrived they're kinda putting a kink in that plan haha.
Trouble is, I can't afford a great amp and great speakers (probably ProAc second hand) and keep the K1000 at the same time.
Also, I make music and need speakers I can mix on. I was hoping (naively) I could use headphones for mixing, but as good as the K1000 are I don't think they're very well suited for that purpose.
On the other hand, I don't have any hopes of getting this much detail and information like the K1000 gives from speakers.
Ideally I'd have both.
Perhaps I'll be getting cheaper speakers or even keep the Tannoys and get a nice amp for them that'll also work for the K1000, and also keep the K1000.
Or I'm getting great speakers and a great amp and sell the K1000 and buy it again at some point in the future when I have the money.

.. Wel typing my thoughts out have actually helped me make a decision allready :)
The K1000 I have is the "bass heavy" version. Well balanced sound (though slightly tipped upward presentation), and it's a tiny bit rolled off in the highest trebble. I don't mind the tiny bit rolled of in the highest trebble at all, will probbaly sound less balanced and pleasant with the "trebble happy" version.
But, for the function I'd ideally like for the K1000, to give me the most detail possible which speakers can't, I think I'd be better served with the "trebble happy" version.
And if I'm allready selling the K1000, I might as well go the speaker route first (and get my room to sound good) which I probably need more right now, and later get a trebble happy K1000 :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 52
 I don't know if the little bit of added bass makes it sound more flat or if the treble is more controlled/brought down a notch or both happen. It just sounds better on the speaker amp. I remember when I used the 2x shanling ph100's, I thought it was tilted towards the treble a little bit. Out of this amp they seem pretty much flat to me, until about 40ish hz ofc.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 52

Quote:
 I don't know if the little bit of added bass makes it sound more flat or if the treble is more controlled/brought down a notch or both happen. It just sounds better on the speaker amp. I remember when I used the 2x shanling ph100's, I thought it was tilted towards the treble a little bit. Out of this amp they seem pretty much flat to me, until about 40ish hz ofc.

Ah great. That's exactly what they need yes.
I'm hearing the same thing from my power amp (only I'm also hearing how bad my amp is lol).

Still selling mine though in preference of a speaker system for now. But this one I'm buying back when money permits and I have a good amp for them.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 52
For those w/ a K1000  you may wish to consider a vintage receiver from the '70s to power them. Something from Marantz, Yamaha, Haffler, Pioneer, Technics, etc would work fine. They can be found for under $100 in eBay, flee markets, Good Will, etc.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #29 of 52

Quote:
Ah great. That's exactly what they need yes.
I'm hearing the same thing from my power amp (only I'm also hearing how bad my amp is lol).

Still selling mine though in preference of a speaker system for now. But this one I'm buying back when money permits and I have a good amp for them.

Ok I'm beeing silly but decided to not sell them after all.
I'm keeping the K1000 :) They're too good! haha
And had some big luck today, found good enough active studio speakers in my studio second hand for very little money, so no longer the pressing financial need to sell the K1000.
So now the hunt for a cheap K1000 amp that still does them justice and takes away none of the detail I'm getting from the Lavry (if it's possible).
As I'm not buying a quality power amp for my studio anymore as all my speakers are active self powered now I can get a low wattage amp especially for the K1000.
But I'll post my future findings on this in a K1000 thread, probably better  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back