Just received my Baby Orpheus
Jan 29, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
Can this be bought new today? NOS?
Or, has Sennheiser discontinued it?

Sennheiser discontinued the baby O. You have to find it on the used market if you want one. Look on ebay or audiogon.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #32 of 53
you should check out the Los Angeles meet impressions thread. Several people did a direct comparison between the Baby O, Stax 4040, Lambda Pro and Omega II. They were driven from the same source, and plugged into a Monster HTS -3500 (I think) for conditioning. I am fairly sure that everyone except Andre (the owner), preferred all the stax phones over the Baby O. This included Edwood, carlo, AC1 and myself. Carlo, Edwood and I do not own any of these phones. We all had the same critique -- complete rolloff in the bass and extreme channel separation. Don't get me wrong, they are nice headphones, but personally I think they are a far cry from the stax phones. The phones had been playing for at least 5 hours by the time we did the comparison. At one point carlo and I were listening to the Sea and Cake, and there was a low bassline, and you could not even hear it in the Baby O's, while in the Omega II's it was perfectly clear -- even carrying the music. I don't want to dump on your phone (which is what it sounds like I am doing), but I just want to offer the counter opinion so that people looking at this phone can hear both sides...

edit: by driven by the same source, I mean same cd player. The stax phones were driven by the 600? I forget...not the omega II amp, but tubed I think. The baby o was driven by its own amp.

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #33 of 53
stuart, I also noticed similar problems with the Baby O. Perhaps it could just be that particular unit? It did fit very nice, and I love pruple, though
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
you should check out the Los Angeles meet impressions thread. Several people did a direct comparison between the Baby O, Stax 4040, Lambda Pro and Omega II. They were driven from the same source, and plugged into a Monster HTS -3500 (I think) for conditioning. I am fairly sure that everyone except Andre (the owner), preferred all the stax phones over the Baby O. This included Edwood, carlo, AC1 and myself. Carlo, Edwood and I do not own any of these phones. We all had the same critique -- complete rolloff in the bass and extreme channel separation. Don't get me wrong, they are nice headphones, but personally I think they are a far cry from the stax phones. The phones had been playing for at least 5 hours by the time we did the comparison. At one point carlo and I were listening to the Sea and Cake, and there was a low bassline, and you could not even hear it in the Baby O's, while in the Omega II's it was perfectly clear -- even carrying the music. I don't want to dump on your phone (which is what it sounds like I am doing), but I just want to offer the counter opinion so that people looking at this phone can hear both sides...

edit: by driven by the same source, I mean same cd player. The stax phones were driven by the 600? I forget...not the omega II amp, but tubed I think. The baby o was driven by its own amp.

Stuart, thanks very much for your comments and referral.
I'd like to comment on the bass
One of the first things I did when I got the phones was playing photek's seven samurai.
This particular song has some massive bass on my HT sub, and also on the grado it is still very good.
On the HE-60 all of the bass is there, it's like on the grado just not as dominating.
Like I said before in this thread, to me the HE-60 has good bass, because it doesn't leave out even the lowest notes its just not as prominent.
If you mean by rolled off not as appearant, I agree, but there is nothing missing at all here, I just checked this again.maybe your meet was noisy?
Even nelly's "air force ones" which has some low bass as well sounds very like the RA-1 bass, which is good enough for me (maybe that is the thing here.... there are amps that go lower maybe then EMP, RA-1 or available headphone jacks I have.... I have not yet heard others to be honest, except a few in a store and on a show but that was not my own music)

There must be some differences between the stax classic 2 headset and the signature because there wasn't such an appearant "better" sound from the classic system at all when I had it here, from what I can remember, especially on the cleanness (fastness) of the sound and precise placement in space (especially appearant in choral massed voices, where the HE-60 sounds better IMHO) this includes cleanness of the bass.maybe it's the classic system amp (duh...).

For me the phones are true enough to music to entertain, for me at least they sound miles more appealing yet close to the senns dynamics of which I have had here the HD-600, HD-650 returned to store instantly, never even bothered to look on ebay for them ever since either.
And FWIW I never planned to use ANY electrostat as a single phone.... it does not have to to all things equally well, I already got a nice RS-1 / RA-1 to fill any gaps, I would not get the Omega II if it would be my only headphone, I will most definately keep the RS-1 around.

I don't mind critique btw, because it's inescapable everyone has their own taste.
Get a RS-1 there's people that don't like them, get a R-10 it's flawed, get a Omega II it's colored.... I will never get that phone that escapes critique because it does not exist.so I don't mind and you are very right in informing others of your experiences with these phones.

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #36 of 53
My comments on the He60 are with My referance system feeding it.Mark levinson 360s dac feed by sony 9000es transport
d60X2 digital cable and Audioquest amazon interconnects.
Stax 007t with rca cleartop blackplates.Everything plugged into Exactpower Ep15a/Sp15 power conditioners,various power cords, their was no bass issue with this system.
Hirsch now owns the He60/stax007t as I sold it to him,
so we should see plenty of members comments on that pairing at his meet on Feb 7.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
so we should see plenty of members comments on that pairing at his meet on Feb 7.
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass was prominent and articulate. I loved it. I should've bought them when you were selling. No regrets though (or at least that's what I'm telling myself haha).

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Hirsch now owns the He60/stax007t as I sold it to him,
smily_headphones1.gif

As things are shaping up, we've got the HE 60, SR-404 and Omega II (possibly 2 pair); HEV 70, SRM-007t and a possible KGSS. I need to find an adapter to run Stax cans from the HEV 70...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
As things are shaping up, we've got the HE 60, SR-404 and Omega II (possibly 2 pair); HEV 70, SRM-007t and a possible KGSS. I need to find an adapter to run Stax cans from the HEV 70...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hirsch
You can try and order order a replacement cable for the He60 part # 50814 for $ 83.85 from sennhieser & add a stax female end,this will allow you to use a stax phone with the Hev70.
Give Dwight a call at Sennhieser. 860- 434-9190 x 136.

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #40 of 53
Maybe I'm just used to neutral sound, but I did like that the HE60 sounded very clear and neutral. As much as I liked the Omega II's, they did seem a bit on the "muddy" side. The mid bass seemed a bit too foward for my tastes. I need to listen to more of my music that I am familiar with next time. I didn't really give them a thorough listening session.

-Ed

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Hirsch
You can try and order order a replacement cable for the He60 part # 50814 for $ 83.85 from sennhieser & add a stax female end,this will allow you to use a stax phone with the Hev70.
Give Dwight a call at Sennhieser. 860- 434-9190 x 136.

Holy #$@%!!! $83.85?!
blink.gif

Doesn't this cable mod just allow an HE60 to hook up to a Stax amp, instead of a Stax headphone to the Sennheiser amp?

--Andre

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by AndreYew
Holy #$@%!!! $83.85?!
blink.gif

Doesn't this cable mod just allow an HE60 to hook up to a Stax amp, instead of a Stax headphone to the Sennheiser amp?

--Andre

No this is to hook up a stax headphone to the HEV70 with alittle enginuity it can be made up for less ,this is the easy way.
Do a search in one of Uncledan threads on the He6o ,Pics and parts needed where posted to hook up the HE60 to a Stax amp.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

No this is to hook up a stax headphone to the HEV70 with alittle enginuity it can be made up for less ,this is the easy way.
Do a search in one of Uncledan threads on the He6o ,Pics and parts needed where posted to hook up the HE60 to a Stax amp.

OK, I understand now --- thanks. You cut off the part that goes to the headphones and attach a mating Stax connector on that end. I think Uncledan's solution used a cutoff switch connector from a 1996 Saturn auto transmission, instead of a hacked HE60 cable.

--Andre

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by AndreYew
OK, I understand now --- thanks. You cut off the part that goes to the headphones and attach a mating Stax connector on that end. I think Uncledan's solution used a cutoff switch connector from a 1996 Saturn auto transmission, instead of a hacked HE60 cable.

Bozebuttons determined that could be used to connect the HE 60 to a Stax amp. OTOH, if we had the male side of the Saturn transmission connector, we could hook it to the female Stax connector...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

On second thought, we're just going to have to listen to Stax headphones through the Stax amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back