Just received HD 650: Happy Camper
Aug 18, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
Thinking about purchasing a pair myself, but am hesitant because I know these cans scale well with upgrades in source and what not and for the time being I would like to get more music and actually listen to it rather than the equipment. I currently have the Headroom microstack (desktop module 05 for microamp). Think it's worth it even if source isn't quite there yet?

My Micro is quite worthy of the 650 with plenty of power. The Micro is 75% of what my Woo does for them.

Imo it would be worth it...of course you can buy a lot of music with $300.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
Thinking about purchasing a pair myself, but am hesitant because I know these cans scale well with upgrades in source and what not and for the time being I would like to get more music and actually listen to it rather than the equipment. I currently have the Headroom microstack (desktop module 05 for microamp). Think it's worth it even if source isn't quite there yet?

Don't sweat it. The 650 will sound good through that set up. Hell the 650 sounds fair out of a iPod. It is just that they have so much potential. Any improvement you make, from source, to amp, to cable (more effect w/ better gear) will have an effect.

I went from a Aria amp/dac to a Headamp GS-X/Apogee Mini DAC. The jump in sound blew me away. Next I went from a single ended Zu to a balanced Headphile BlackSilver cable. Wow even more improvement, but the jump was not as big as the one going from the Aria to the GS-X. Just a couple of days ago I received my balanced Headphile BlackGold (that I'm still burning in) & am hearing more punch & more slamming bass. Vocals sound warmer & more upfront too. All good traits in my book. Well the bass can be a bit much on some recordings, but I hope that will tighten a bit with some burn in. I have not switched back to the BlackSilver to directly compare, but the highs may be a lil tamer than the BlackSilver too.

The main issue with the 650 imo is the bass can muddy up depending on the recording. I know a better amp, & cable synergy really helps in this area. So I think the 650 is a good can with with average gear, but an outstanding can with better gear. Remember everyone has a personal preference so if you like in your face highs then this is most likely not your can. I can attest to the fact that the highs are much more forward & lush in my current set up as compared to my previous though.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 22
Oh, also I prefer the foam in, & as opposed to removed. Though I haven't tried it in my current set up. To me removing the foam caused a etch or grain in the sound. They were brighter, but still the trade off was not my thing. To each their own though. It is a free tweak, & thus worth a try.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
If you ever begin to believe in that "veil" crap, then this should help eliminate it.

Before I got the K1000, the HD650 sounded amazing, and I could not imagine how anything could possibly sound any better, and I could hear to "veil".

When I first listened to the K1000, the difference from the HD650 was not as big as I thought it would be, BUT when I went back to the HD650, HOLY CRAP. It sounded awful! Rolled off highs, bloated and uncontrolled bass, nasal midrange, and the infamous veil of which everybody talks, and boy it was a lot bigger than I ever thought it could be.

I have no idea how I could stand them for so long after the K1000
k1000smile.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 22
I've read about the pantyhose tweak which I've yet to do to my HD580. Take some pantyhose and cut out two pad shaped bits and put them in place of the stock pads and listen. Some say it works. Also if you want, you can then try the middle hole without any loss. And if you don't like the hole, but like the sound, just cut out two more pads. I'm going to try it maybe tomorrow or Monday.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Before I got the K1000, the HD650 sounded amazing, and I could not imagine how anything could possibly sound any better, and I could hear to "veil".

When I first listened to the K1000, the difference from the HD650 was not as big as I thought it would be, BUT when I went back to the HD650, HOLY CRAP. It sounded awful! Rolled off highs, bloated and uncontrolled bass, nasal midrange, and the infamous veil of which everybody talks, and boy it was a lot bigger than I ever thought it could be.

I have no idea how I could stand them for so long after the K1000
k1000smile.gif

For what it's worth, I generally like the 650 better than the K1K in my system. K1K has that awesome soundstage & imaging, but sound a bit thin, lack bass, & for a lack of a better term have a bit of a steely sound. Of course I know amp synergy is of great importance with these cans. See above for my thoughts on the 650 in comparison. For the most part, I'm not hearing what your hearing. It's all about synergy, & preference.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 22
K1000's are so much more expensive!
It's true, the only way to rate a can is to reference it with another. My other headphones are seeing dark days now.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back