Just received HD 650: Happy Camper
Aug 17, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
So I recently purchased a set of HD 650's off the FS forums and boy what a purchase. I know they've been continually reviewed, so I'll do a quick layman's rundown of my opinions.
Immediately comparing to the ATH-A900's I found that the the upper mid, and highs are a lot more natural sounding with much much less cringe. Although comparing the bass, I found them somewhat similar. The open-air feeling is exactly what I needed, I don't think I can go back!
After hours of headtime for the 650's I switched to the A900's immediately and found the mids and highs of the A900's very very bland and flat.
Overall it over-satisfies my hype and still amazes me how well it sounds. And a few photos for the ones who don't like to read:
600smile.gif

HD650.jpg

HD650_2.jpg

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 22
Congratualtions! The HD650 is as popular as it is for a very good reason. I was sad to see mine go. May you have many happy listening hours with them.

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 22
Glad to see some HD-650 love around here
smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats, and enjoy!

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Glad to see some HD-650 love around here
smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats, and enjoy!

Yeah, good for you.

There hasn't been much talk about the 650 lately compared to a month or two ago. The legacy Grado's have had a little revival for some reason.

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Congrats and welcome to the team! The HD-650 are an incredible value, especially at the prices they're going for. There have been many headphones that have come and gone in my stable, but only one has been able to claim a permanent spot on my head
600smile.gif

First, I'd suggest you replace the foam with some thin nylon. If you ever begin to believe in that "veil" crap, then this should help eliminate it. Another worthy upgrade is buying a replacement cable. I noticed an improvement when upgrading to the Cardas cable, from my old Oehlbach cable. The search will be your best friend
cool.gif

edit: I just noticed you're using the Millett with a STEPS PSU and the discrete buffers. Definite synergy with the 650's...

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Very nice photographs. What camera did you use?

I used my Sony DSC-S85 camera, paired with touchups with Photoshop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
First, I'd suggest you replace the foam with some thin nylon. If you ever begin to believe in that "veil" crap, then this should help eliminate it. Another worthy upgrade is buying a replacement cable. I noticed an improvement when upgrading to the Cardas cable, from my old Oehlbach cable. The search will be your best friend.

Which piece of foam are you talking about? Also personally I would rather purchase a different set of headphones than a $200 cable.
Thanks for the kind suggestions... well my wallet officially hates you now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 22
Congrats man. The 650 is my can of choice too. I love the full sound. I also feel the highs sound natural. The highs can sound a lil bit back sometimes depending on the recording compared to some other cans (not a complaint), but sound more natural & full as compare to thin & piercing. The 650 also upscales quite well. The comfort level is very high too.

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
I used my Sony DSC-S85 camera, paired with touchups with Photoshop.

Which piece of foam are you talking about? Also personally I would rather purchase a different set of headphones than a $200 cable.
Thanks for the kind suggestions... well my wallet officially hates you now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The foam is located underneath the ear pads. They pop right out, so it's easy to get to. And who said you have to spend $200! I've seen some really nice cables pop up for under $100...especially the Cardas.

Aug 18, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 22
Thinking about purchasing a pair myself, but am hesitant because I know these cans scale well with upgrades in source and what not and for the time being I would like to get more music and actually listen to it rather than the equipment. I currently have the Headroom microstack (desktop module 05 for microamp). Think it's worth it even if source isn't quite there yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back