Just received defective Grado SR60's
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
CVS, some grocery stores, heck, that stuff is plentiful these days as everyone has need for it. Radio Shack also has it.

Man, my suggestion is be patient and send 'em back. If you mess things up, you'll be up a creek. Don't risk them. Just send 'em back and wait it out.

Yeah, I'm just going to send them back. The shipping is only $7 so it is no big deal.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Man, my suggestion is be patient and send 'em back. If you mess things up, you'll be up a creek. Don't risk them. Just send 'em back and wait it out.

Mess them up? They don't work. People get rattle/buzzes in grado's all the time, I did, it's often easily fixed.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon
Mess them up? They don't work. People get rattle/buzzes in grado's all the time, I did, it's often easily fixed.

They don't work right now but they're still under warranty. If the problem isn't some sort of fiber or hair and the attempt to rectify things with compressed air not only isn't successful but leads to further damage of the driver, he may void his warranty and be stuck. We're assuming that the problem is a fiber or hair creating the problem. Personally, I'm not much of a risk taker. If the item was out of warranty, I can see giving it a shot but they still are covered. No reason to let impatience push you into a potential mistake. JMO but I'd not waste time or money on the compressed air and hope that things work out. I'd send 'em back for replacement but that's just me.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #19 of 22
Please explain how compressed air is going to hurt the driver to the point of them refusing to fix it? I can see your logic if the suggested solution was "throw the Grado's at sharp rocks", but I'd really like to see some examples of headphones that Grado refuses to fix under warranty, I'm guessing it'd have to involve soldering or wire cutters.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
To OP:

Oh BTW have you tried dealing directly with Grado Labs? Maybe they can replace it for you for free?

"Sending them back to Grado - they say the turnaround time is about 2 weeks".

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 22
Ok, now I am starting to second guess myself. I now am listening to the Grados and the "rattle" seems to have lessened a bit. I also seem to remember that my KSC75's rattled a bit on deep bass as well. Once the KSC75's were broken in the rattling stopped.

Maybe I am crazy, but could the Grados just need a little time to break in since the drivers are still a bit stiff? Or am I kidding myself?
confused.gif

I am going to let them burn-in on some rolling "surf" relaxation cd for maybe 24 hours and see what that does for me. Any ideas?

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #22 of 22
No, I doubt burning it in would fix it. However, it might move the object out of the way eventually if that's the problem.

Just give the blowing a try. Canned compressed air is obviously better than blowing as blowing will throw some spit out too, but I don't see how it would damage it. At least take the pad off and look at the actual driver and see if it's crinckled (which it shouldn't be). Give it one or two blows trying to cover the whole area. If you want to minimize the chance of spitting into it, start blowing elsewhere first then direct your blowing to the headphones.

I guess there's theoretically a chance of screwing something up, but I don't see how. This is something that seems to happen all the time and it's obviously easy for it to occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back