Just received Audio-Technica ATH-W5000... now how to power them?
Dec 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kinetickoala

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm really excited today. I got the W5000 as a present for my birthday! It was from my uncle, who I barely know (and is incredibly rich), and it just came out of nowhere. I've never gotten any fancy gift before, so I sort of feel like I'm in a dream: I keep on running over to them (in that beautiful case) to make sure they're real!

The highest pair of headphones I had before the W5000 were my ATH-A700s. I had been looking to make the next step into high end audio equipment, and I guess he heard and took that all the way!

I'm faced with a dilemma, though. I don't have an AMP/DAC thing at all! I haven't even listened to the W5000s yet because I know it would be pointless without something driving them (besides my computer's sound card).

Now, unfortunately I'm low on money (college kid ftl). I'm not living check to check per se, but I can't afford to drop down a lot of money on an amp to power this baby. The highest I could go is 200 dollars... would that be enough to get something of quality (even just to hold off for a year or so until I can really get something to power these properly)? If so, could you recommend any specific models?

I was looking on Amazon and came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-uDAC2-HP-Black-Headphone-24bit/dp/B00442KO0Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

How does that look?

Thanks so much guys!

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 8
1st recommendation: read Head-Fi some more before you buy anything. These threads for example:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/177203/audio-technica-w5000
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/230334/amp-for-w5000-on-a-budget
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/211770/w5000-owners-amp-registry

2nd recommendation: to maximize your dollars it makes sense to buy finished DIY items, like through the FS forums, and there just happens to be a DIY-type amp that works well with the W5000: an M3. There are also DIY DACs, like amb's y2. (Or alternately you can build these if you know how.) More info on the M3 and y2 can be found at www.amb.org. If you can't yet afford an M3 (or y2), you should save up - I would highly recommend not buying anything less.

3rd recommendation: don't buy anything for now or you'll likely just be wasting time & money. The W5000 can be easily driven directly from a computer sound card or a portable DAP, so just enjoy it that way for a while. It's worth getting good gear for the W5000 in particular, as it's one of the most picky headphones around.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Return the phones, keep that money plus your 200 bucks to install a system (maybe a STAX system). Since you can't afford the HA5000, there is apparently no point owning the W5000 themselves.*

*This coming from just about each and every Chinese audiophile who listened to or owned the W5000.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I suggest that the OP note the second post and ignore the third one. 

x2

The W5000 is one of my all time favourite headphones. I've never heard them out of the HA5000.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I suggest that the OP note the second post and ignore the third one. 

lol...
Yeah, no need to be mean...we're here to help. 
Keep your headphones. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 8
As suggested, it's well worth investing in good quality gear with them and they'll show you their appreciation- Or punish you with merciless harshness. The best result that i've yet to exprience is with the neutral but slightly bright SPL Auditor and i'd sugget to get as neutral amp as possible with these. Unfortunaley for 200$ i really can't think of something adequate.  Closet is maybe a used shciit asgaard but i'm afraid it'd be too forward sounding as it's reprtedly has a great match with the darkish LCD-2.  As suggested your best bet will be a used M^3 from the FS boards for around 400$.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 8
I like to see some pictures please.....  I am interested in those cans. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back