Just received an ancient Sony PCDP: D-35
Jan 24, 2003 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple pics:

d-35front.jpg

d-35side.jpg

Yes, not as pretty as the D-25S... some may say it looks like an answering machine. But it DOES sound pretty sweet! I'll do a detailed comparison between this and my CT570 after a little more critical listening. So far, I've only tested out the line out, and I'm very impressed.

Jan 24, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Yeah it sure does look like an old Panasonic answering machine LOL!

Looking forward to your review...

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 16
I think it looks far sexier than the 25S...look at that LCD screen!

I usually see this model go for a good amount of money, hope it kicks some serious butt.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 16
"hope it kicks some serious butt."

So far, it is. :) The Panasonic is completely wimpy sounding in comparison, and I'm not just talking about a louder headphone out!

More on this later...

BTW, I payed 40 bucks for it on eBay.

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 16
Fiddler,

A nice buy for 40 dollars. You should test the headphone out from this unit. It will blow you away. IMO, it has the best bassboost out of any portable PCDP I have heard. Try it.

Oh, D-35 can also wake you up with the "timer" function. It can even do fade in and out too. The line out is better than average in my opinion.

Purk

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 16
Sweet looking pcdp.

I looked for one of those on ebay but there aren't any going right now. I'm hoping to get a d-33 instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
It will be my first foray into the land of ancient sony players.

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 16
It's a nice player. Does everything well. I couldn't find the internal battery at Sony, but they sell an external battery pack that isn't worth the money. They also sell a hard case for this player for about $70. I'm living without it. If the lithium battery that keeps the clock going needs replacement, it's about $3 at Radio Shack.

Jan 24, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Wow a timer? So how does it sound? What about the fade-in / fade-out function, does it happen when you jump tracks?

Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Fiddler,

A nice buy for 40 dollars. You should test the headphone out from this unit. It will blow you away. IMO, it has the best bassboost out of any portable PCDP I have heard. Try it.

Oh, D-35 can also wake you up with the "timer" function. It can even do fade in and out too. The line out is better than average in my opinion.

Purk

Jan 24, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
Wow a timer? So how does it sound? What about the fade-in / fade-out function, does it happen when you jump tracks?

When you program a track sequence, you can program fade in and fade outs between tracks as you choose. You can even program in pauses. You can used timed playback (this unit was designed for taping to casette), or you can use the clock to start at a specific time. It's very cool.

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Sweet looking pcdp.

I looked for one of those on ebay but there aren't any going right now. I'm hoping to get a d-33 instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
It will be my first foray into the land of ancient sony players.

Threadjack Alert!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got a D-33 for sale..
wink.gif
Lemme know if you're interested, hehe

Jan 24, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 16
I bought one of these when they were new. Fantastic player - no anti-skip but a very powerful neutral sound. Congratulations Fiddler on your excellent purchase.

I personally think that Sony should go back to making players like this - perhaps with MUCH better battery consumption and some anti-skip but try to keep the high quality sound.

Jan 24, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I thought I saw your name bidding on a d-33 on ebay?
confused.gif

I don't think I'm currently bidding on any? ... but who knows... if I see your name I'll lay off on it... [although yeah, I already have one... may have been a residual bid? dunno.]

Jan 24, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
I don't think I'm currently bidding on any? ... but who knows... if I see your name I'll lay off on it... [although yeah, I already have one... may have been a residual bid? dunno.]

Actually. I lied. I am bidding on a D-33 right now... But I bid just to watch it, since there's a reserve [that I haven't met.] I would use the eBay Watch feature, but I already have too many auctions I'm watching, and bidding on it while being under the reserve was the easiest way for me to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back