Just received a Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver
Jun 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xzxMikeDxzx

New Head-Fier
My uncle just gave me his old Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver and 2 Speakers. The receiver is in good condition just needs to be cleaned a bit and the speakers look a little worn, but sound great. He even gave me all of the manuals. Now I don't know too much about this receiver besides it was made in 1976 and was sold for around $900 or so. So I have a couple questions since I don't know too much about receivers.

1. Did this receiver come with speakers when it originally sold? If not then what kind of speakers did he give me? I looked all over them but there isn't any brand name or labeling anywhere.

2. How much would this receiver be worth now days including the speakers?

3. What can I do with the receiver? I know I could hook it up to my TV and Xbox 360. But this receiver isn't surround sound right? I think I'd rather have surround sound than just incredibly loud speakers...

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 19
No, the receiver isn't surround, surround wasn't around back then (well, quadrophonic sound was around back then, but thats a different story). What you have however is one of the most beastly stereo receivers produced. If it's still in good working order, the sound from it could probably rival a great many modern high-end stereo systems, and should blow the pants off of any modern consumer-grade bookshelf stereo both in terms of sound quality (precision of sound, clarity, tone) and power output. you could certainly hook up your tv or xbox to it (i'm running my xbox off of a classic marantz receiver now actually), but where it will shine is with music. with an antenna hooked up to it, it will likely give you a greater clarity on fm radio than you are used to, and hooked up to your pc or ipod would make a great party system or general music system.

as far as worth, audiokarma is a forum which focuses for the most part on vintage equipment, and you will most likely get your best estimate from there.

edit: those don't look like original speakers, but they might be, i'm not familiar with the pioneer  system in particular

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the info!

I decided to hook the speakers up to my TV and use them for TV/Movies/Video Games. I'm having a small problem though and I'm wondering if it is possibly to solve it...

So I hooked my Xbox 360 to my TV. Then I used audio cables to go from my TV (TV Out) into the receiver. Now I was hoping by doing this, I could leave the receiver's volume at a certain level then control the volume levels with my TV Remote. But that didn't work...

Is there any way to use my TV remote to control the volume or an alternative solution? I'd rather not have to get up every time I want the volume a little higher or lower...

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 19
since your tv outs not working, im betting its a fixed RCA lineout to amp. in your case & if good sonics be damned (kinda shame really as the 1250 sounds really good). i'd use the tv headphone jack output to 1250s. again im betting your tv headouts a 1/4" (3.5mm) jack so alls u need is a 1/4" male to stereo RCA on the 1250 using either AUX or TAPE1/2 inputs.

$2 for the cable & ya golden.

ps:not sure why u'd post this in the high end section but im betting triactor that u'd get far more replies in the amp section - specifically the vintage receiver thread.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 19
Do the grill covers come off the speakers?

That 1250 is only stereo but it is a flagship of the era. Having been through the 5.1-7.1 thing, you will find happiness in 2 channel. Surrounds are effects channels, seldom heard musically.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
since your tv outs not working, im betting its a fixed RCA lineout to amp. in your case & if good sonics be damned (kinda shame really as the 1250 sounds really good). i'd use the tv headphone jack output to 1250s. again im betting your tv headouts a 1/4" (3.5mm) jack so alls u need is a 1/4" male to stereo RCA on the 1250 using either AUX or TAPE1/2 inputs.

$2 for the cable & ya golden.

ps:not sure why u'd post this in the high end section but im betting triactor that u'd get far more replies in the amp section - specifically the vintage receiver thread.

My TV out does work. But I can't adjust the receiver volume through my TV. I have to get up and adjust the volume on the receiver every time I want to put the volume up or down. I was asking if there was a way to control the receiver volume through my TV so that I wouldn't have to get up every time I want to change the volume.

Also I didn't know what section to post this. If an admin or mod could move it to the correct section that would be great.

Quote:
Do the grill covers come off the speakers?

That 1250 is only stereo but it is a flagship of the era. Having been through the 5.1-7.1 thing, you will find happiness in 2 channel. Surrounds are effects channels, seldom heard musically.

I took off the covers off the speakers, here are a couple pictures. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

I removed some of the serial number off the picture just in case...

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
My TV out does work. But I can't adjust the receiver volume through my TV. I have to get up and adjust the volume on the receiver every time I want to put the volume up or down. I was asking if there was a way to control the receiver volume through my TV so that I wouldn't have to get up every time I want to change the volume.

Also I didn't know what section to post this. If an admin or mod could move it to the correct section that would be great.

ya i know what ya saying. i meant your tv's out seems to be a fixed volume lineout thats independent of your tv's volume control so its not working as u intended. as stated, use the tv's headphone jack as output. im quite positive the tv's volume control (&hence remote) will work on the headphone jack. again im almost sure that your tv's headphone jack is 1/4" (as most tv's are), the 1/4" male to stereo RCA cable should work just fine.

set the 1250s volume at a level that youre comfy with & youre good to go.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 19
I was going to guess BIC based on the cabinets but good to see the badging.

The horns are the best part of the things. How do they sound? They have a mixed past. The rockers loved them, others thought they were crap. I used BIC as my first pair of speakers. In the day (76) I thought they held up well to the Advents and Pioneers of the era for rock.

There seemed to be some interest from collectors but not too forthcoming as to why. Average asking is around $200-300.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 19
The receiver your Uncle gave you is a very fine receiver. The out put is in RMS which was true power in the 80's and straight on threw.
The receiver did not come with speakers. However pioneer did have speakers that would mate up. It would be recommended that you get for this receiver 3 way speakers, if you can find them. They should be rated for 60 watts rms, or 15000 watts. The speakers your looking for have no less then a 10" woofer with a adjustable Feq. dial on the back of the speaker. For Med range and tweeter.

The speaker your showing looks like a Teach speaker made around the same date as the receiver.

Best Regards

Sam2300

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 19
This 1250 receiver was the first thing I got back in 1976 when I was stationed in Germany with the Army.  I soon upgraded to an 85 watt amp and separate tuner though later that same year.  PX prices were way less than what the same pieces cost in the U. S. however.  I think my 1250 Receiver only cost $150.00 in the Army PX.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 19
My brother owned the exact same stereo back in the mid 70's.  I happen to have the SX-1080, a lower version of the same receiver.  These receivers were sold as a single component.  At that time many electronic companies; Kenwood, Sanyo, Pioneer, ect, allowed the music admirer to pick and choose which components to add to their stereos.  Avaliable options were cassette players, reel-to-reel players, equalizers, and speakers by many different companies.  This all ended in the late 80's as different options for music lovers became avaliable, most noteably portable cassette players with headphones, since they allowed the user to move about without missing their music. 

I purchased mine in 1979 in the Philippine Islands in the Navy Exchange for about $425, which at the time was quite a bargain.  The receiver is the only piece of my stereo I still have.  The rest being given away as I've moved along in life.  After 33 years it's still something I would hate to part with, though it is now only used to set my television on in my bedroom so I can see the tv from my bed.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 19
You know, you should have hooked up the audio output from your XBOX 360 directly to the aux of your Pioneer  SX-1250, then try to control the volume using XBOX remote, i think it will work. The TV audio output of the TV is normally weak. I tried same thing to my Samsung Plasma tv, connected the tv audio out to the receive but I ended up turning the volume control of my receiver almost halfway just to obtain the desired sound I want so I switched around and instead reroute the audio out of my component to the AUX IN of the receiver and it was good and better.

why don't you try that?

electron55

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 19
How much this Pioneer SX-1250 worth nowadays? This is a GEM nowadays. It worth more than $500 and up I believe. If you go to Ebay, you will see the price of this Priced vintage receiver go over $1,000 assuming all is working properly without any issues. those Sound Purist, Audiophile, and vintage collectors will easily grab this if you sell this for less than $500, so keep this to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back