Just received a Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver
Jul 16, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 19
I know this is an old thread but i felt the need to chime in on your set up and how lucky you were to come across such a beautiful set up. When i was 16 i was working with someone who would go to yard sales and but furniture to sell at the flea market. Well one day i came across a pioneer sx-850 and the same set of speakers u have in your pictures. I paid 15 for the reciever and 10 for the speakers. Best deal i have ever had. The receiver unfortunately didnt work due to a bad resistor on the pcb. Pulled out my soldering iron and put in a new one. Bam the stereo was back to working order. The subs were really worn like yours and i ended up tearing them while bumping it one day. I later replaced the subs with 2 infinity 1220w's those boxes are awesome and put out more bass then any other speaker i have ever owned. I have been dreaming about owning a 1250 for a long time although my 850 is by far the best receiver i have ever owned. I still have it and still prefer it over anything else. You hit a gold mine just like i did. Im noticing a decent 1250 runs around 1500 on ebay. Ouch!!! Guess im mot getting 1 anyday soon lol. With a little tlc these old vintage beasts will outlive anything and anyone. Kudos on your find.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #19 of 19
This is a antique thread but if you still have your sx-1250 I would if I were you  never part with it . Especially for some old surround receiver .None of them can come even close to the sound quality that you can get from the sx-1250 . I use to have the big boy denon 5800 surround receiver while it lasted for a bit it was nowhere near as good sounding as my vintage stereo receiver . If I were you I would consider having your sx1250 serviced by a qualified service center . The capacitors and resistors are no doubt out of spec . The receiver needs to be recapped for sure old capacitors when they get this old can leak and the acid can damage other components and do a lot of harm .They can also explode and in that case can be catastrophic to the inner workings of the receiver and can possibly cause a fire . Just a word of advice .
  There is a benefit to recapping and refurbishing a vintage piece .The parts have improved over the last 30 to 40 years .So your 1250 will definitely sound much better than it did when it was new . In fact in light of the quantity of overbuild they practiced back then especially on the 1250 compared to more modern designs you would have to pay several times the original price to get a component of comparable build  quality .The 1250 was the krell , threshold etc. of it's day .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back