JUST PURCHASED SENNHEISER HD580, wondering what amp is good for my specific needs.
Aug 13, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

GOLDENZEAL

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased the sennheiser HD580's today and they sound ok directly from my ipod touch 2nd gen but it is missing the airy sound of my HD555's. I believe this is because it is 300ohms VS 50ohms. How can I make them have this same airy, full sound and see also the benefits of my upgrade, in terms of a portable amp. Will a portable amp just increase the sound or would it increase the sound quality. I searched and came across FiiO E5 (heard it will only increase volume), CMOY (don't know much about it but have seen some on ebay for $50 and less), and PICO (don't know much about it). Basically I want something the increases the sound quality, volume, is kind of portable to move around in my house at least, and doesn't cost so much (maybe $50 or less). Is there something like this even available? I am kind of new to the over the head headphone scene. Thank You.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 31
Ok thanks, I am seeing the pattern, so nothing under $50 is even worth it. What then, would be the best amp for these headphones for the best price, I am guessing anything would have to start at $100+. Maybe if it gets too expensive it might be best to sell them back to someone who can supply them with their due amp and maybe buy the HD595's since they are 50ohms i believe also like my HD555's?

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 31
I think the cheapest option for you to get an airier sound is probably to just buy the ATH-AD900 phones, the common consensus is that they are better sounding than the HD595s. Unless you go high end amp and dac, nothing will change the sound signature of your phones that much.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 31
wow, these headphones are super powerful since it takes so much to drive them. I think maybe I will sell and look into the headphones suggested above. It's a shame, I wanted to love these things, they look awesome. I was interested in the SRH840's for a while but i'm worried about closed back headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are extremely limited choices for HD580 that are half-decent at a low budget. I'd say it's not worth it until you up your budget to the $250-$300 range.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 31
The headphones are fine, seems like a shame to just toss them now, break them in and just accumulate some gear slowly. Save your money instead of focusing on the shortterm. They'll be worth it when you get a dac/amp. If you can rustle up $380 for a Compass that's the amp and DAC all taken care of right there. Lots of people like this setup, numerous friends of mine. It's probably one of the better non-used dac and amp setup for under $400.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 31
As you can tell I am a very impatient person who makes rash decisions. I really love the feel and look of the headphones and it would pain me to sell them. I have been listening to them unamp'd all night and doing A-B comparison of my HD555's and I think I have a different outlook now. I have only had them now for about 9 hours and have listened to them about 3 of those hours. I still think they sound better than my HD555's, much more clear. They do lack a bit thump and that airy sound but still clearer and more detailed than the HD555's. I think you are right, I should keep them and hopefully one day I will i will have enough cash to blow on an expensive amp. I guess if i don't hear them amp'd, then I won't know what I am missing lol. Strangely enough, they kind of sound like my unamp'd Se530's. Thank You for your advise. BTW wow i can't believe you have the HD800's, those things are so expensive but look way awesome! Must be audio heaven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphones are fine, seems like a shame to just toss them now, break them in and just accumulate some gear slowly. Save your money instead of focusing on the shortterm. They'll be worth it when you get a dac/amp. If you can rustle up $380 for a Compass that's the amp and DAC all taken care of right there. Lots of people like this setup, numerous friends of mine. It's probably one of the better non-used dac and amp setup for under $400.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 31
I would keep them and start learning about what you want from an amp. I believe that you could find something that will drive them acceptably for between $100-$200 in the forsale section. There was an RSA Hornet that took a couple of weeks to sell for well under $200 recently, for example. There should be plenty of less boutique examples available for much less. Also, you are taking relatively little risk with a used portable amp - they are cheap to ship and can usually be sold for near what you paid for them.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 31
Thank You for the advice, I was looking through the used amp section but I was so lost as to what to look for. If I can find anything between $100-200 I think it is worth it. I have seen the PA2V2 but don't know if it will work pretty good or not. I will keep on reading more and more about amps until I find the right one like you suggested. I should have the cash soon. So is the RSA Hornet a good amp for the HD580's? I will look it up as well. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhenya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would keep them and start learning about what you want from an amp. I believe that you could find something that will drive them acceptably for between $100-$200 in the forsale section. There was an RSA Hornet that took a couple of weeks to sell for well under $200 recently, for example. There should be plenty of less boutique examples available for much less. Also, you are taking relatively little risk with a used portable amp - they are cheap to ship and can usually be sold for near what you paid for them.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 31
Weird, I just kinda modded the HD580's after searching around here. I think it is the common thing to change the inner pad and then place the pad into the outer grill. Wow it is like a different headphone. It has that airy sound I was talking about and the soundstage seems bigger, now they sound like my HD555's but clearer and more detailed. I didn't expect this big change. Now I am even more happy, but I still will get an amp. Also the bass has more thump now, i'm shocked something so simple made such a big difference.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 31
Considering the OP is specifically interested in something that he can move around the house, that might be something that he makes up his own mind about. Stereophile seems to think the Hornet drives the 650's reasonably well...And he can probably try a decent portable amp for not much more money than he'd be out by flipping the 580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back