Just picked up a pair of LP K240 Sextetts
Feb 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Just when I thought I'd completely shaken the head-fi bug for good it came rearing back at me. I managed to pick up a pair of LP Sextetts for at a used audio shop near where I'm currently living (I'm in Ottawa for 4 months). The store is great for home audio (Cerwin Vega, small advents, etc.) and on a whim I asked about headphones. He said the only pair he had was an old pair of K240s and I ended getting them for $50 + taxes.

Only problem: I'm away from my home rig and I don't have an adapter to run it through my portable so I can't even get a taste of what they might sound like. The pads are also worn and the elastics need replacing. I've already done some looking but I can't seem to find the specific thread on opening these suckers up. Think an of you guys can help me out?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 12
to open k240s up: the thin metal nameplates on the cups pop off- there should be a tiny opening to insert a paperclip size wire into on the side of the nameplate. under that is a screw, and its ez from there!

ps- those sextetts are 600 ohms and want a powerful amp. remember, i said powerful.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Yeah unfortunately as good a deal as the headphones were I know for sure I don't have anything powerful enough to drive them to their full potential at the moment, so the slippery slope begins again.

I'd love to post impressions of it but right now I'm a ways away from home and only have a small portable setup with me. Thanks though ourfpshero, hopefully I can at least get them fixed up for when I can run them through my best (and hopefully downt he road to their full potential)

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to open k240s up: the thin metal nameplates on the cups pop off- there should be a tiny opening to insert a paperclip size wire into on the side of the nameplate. under that is a screw, and its ez from there!

ps- those sextetts are 600 ohms and want a powerful amp. remember, i said powerful.

thanks for the tip! i've been trying to take mines apart for recabling. i just did following your instructions, but can't seem to figure out where the blue and yellow wires are suppose to connect to.

also, for future reference. i'm planning on doing a dual-entry, do you know which solder joint is which pertaining to each channel positive and negative? thanks.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 12
Congrats on your purchase. I know what the amp situation is like. I built a starving student, and I like the sound, but I have a feeling it could be better. Something to look forward to in the future.

Pads wise, look into KT88 pads, or J$ (I think he makes 240 pads, or the denon ones fit. I don't know.). If you want to do it on the cheap, like me: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...ad-mod-330657/
I did this mod, and it definitely firmed/puffed em up. They still aren't terribly comfortable, but that's because I have a huge noggin.

As for opening em up: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/tak...p-step-279905/
lol

Elastics should be pretty straightforward once you get in. They are my favorite headphones sometimes, but I really do think I need to get a new headband/pads, to accommodate my head. Everyone raves about the 240M that's in production now about being the most comfortable, but if it's anything like my Sextett, I'd disagree.

Anyways, good luck with everything. I'd be interested in hearing impressions in comparison with your other headphones ('poor university student'???), and what you go for in terms of an amp.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 12
I was able to fix my K240's.
smily_headphones1.gif
I couldn't really tell from the pictures, but it looked like the blue is suppose to connect to the white and the yellow to the red. can anyone confirm this?

That is how I connected it, but it sounds a little off to me. Something about the imaging just doesn't sound right...

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the tip! i've been trying to take mines apart for recabling. i just did following your instructions, but can't seem to figure out where the blue and yellow wires are suppose to connect to.

also, for future reference. i'm planning on doing a dual-entry, do you know which solder joint is which pertaining to each channel positive and negative? thanks.

Do you have a multi-meter, if so check for continuity to determine which wires connect where...

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 12
if the imaging seems off- its possible you have a ground/positive reversal on one speaker. play with your balance control and see if it reacts properly, then report back here

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Ugh, one thing about living in Canada is getting accessories shipped to you is damned near impossible. I'm still trying to find a place to get the stock ear pads...

@ipoodz:
funny thing is most of the stuff you see in my signature save the A700s, IEMs, and K81djs were bought used at well below market value. I've been really lucky with my finds (eg. The guy threw in the DAC when I bought the headfive, which was already discounted comapred to current prices).

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a multi-meter, if so check for continuity to determine which wires connect where...

I don't quite understand how that works. I do have a multi-meter. FWIR about continuity, you're suppose to test it so that it reads zero right? But how do you know which wire is connected to which (tip, ring, sleeve)?

Also, looking at the backside of the driver (at the pins where the wires connect), anyone know which side should be which? Is it left positive and right negative/ground? Or vice versa?

I'm just gonna leave mines the way it is for now..It actually sounds fine, was probably the amp I was using causing it to sound funny. I just bought some wires and plugs, so waiting for them to come in for the recable.
normal_smile .gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 12
+ and - doesn't matter as long as you are consistent with each side. the white and red wires coming from the drivers indicate polarity, also there is a slight - sign imprint in the plastic on the back of the driver near one of the posts.

there is no way to tell if your polarity is correct using a multimeter that i know of, just check that both ground wires connect to red, or both ground wires connect to white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back