Just ordered the iMod with ALO SXC Cryo
Aug 4, 2009 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

hardtarget666

100+ Head-Fier
Finally after a long wait, ordered the iMod with ALO SXC Cryo. Ever since I first came across Head-Fi, I always wanted the ultimate portable setup. My previous set up was:

160GB Classic with 18G Jenna Cryo Copper LOD (courtesy Stevenkelby)
GS Voyager
Shure SE530's

I was quite happy with my setup as the SE530’s famous rolled off treble was completely eliminated by using the "Contour" switch on the GS Voyager. But as usual, I wanted a bit more.

Anyway, I've just ordered the iMod and don’t really know what to expect. Obviously, its the best portable source at the moment but I'm a bit apprehensive I won't get the desired improvements over my previous setup.

All my music is losses and I'm worried if I'll just be shifting the bottle neck somewhere else (iem's perhaps).

I'd like to get some insight and appreciate if people who have iMod and possibly similar setup comment on their experience.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 23
I did not know Vinnie provided iMod for the iPod Classic...
Great choice though. The iMod is a killer portable source.
smile.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 23
probably not because Vinnie wouldn't take one so unless a head-fier took one....but there is plenty of a diymod which is basically the same concept in terms of what you can actually see which is the wire going to the dock.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

I should have mentioned that I'll be replacing the Classic with the iMod
smile.gif

Is there no one in this forum with a setup similar to mine? I just want to understand if moving to iMod will be an incremental performance increase or the difference is day and night.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 23
Thanks for the input guys!! The iMod is on its way and the anticipation is killing me. Also, it seems that to get the best out of iMod, V-Caps are absolutely essential. Hmmm...

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 23
Just got the imod today. I connected it to my GS Voyager + SE530 with SXC iMod LOD and was ready to be blown away but all I could hear was terrible distortion and static hiss with the songs playing in the background. Tried to connect the headphone directly to headphone out but had the same hiss/static.
mad.gif

I've mailed Ken regarding this and I'm sure he will look into it but can't help but feel truly disappointed. I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to be doing with the iMod correctly. I'm running iTunes 8.1.2.6 and the iMod is running a 1.3 firmware

Anyone have any ideas?

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

Could we say that before the HIFIMAN 801 and AMP3 launching, IMOD is the killer of portable sources?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it may be an issue with the wire internally in the device. I would wait and hear what Ken has to say.

I'm hoping its something small as I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping it from UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back