Just ordered the Hifiman he-500. Will my setup be enough to drive it?
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cheesegrados

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I ordered a Hifiman he-500 and a Hrt Music Streamer II dac. I have a amp but it's a Samson S.Amp that I got at Sam ash for 50 bucks. I was wondering if any body think I will be ok with that setup. Will I be able to have good enough sound quality? Or is my cheap amp lacking. I am stuck with this amp for a while, because I cannot afford a new amp for now. But when i could, it would only be a Schiit Magni or Asgard 2 max. No Lyr as it's over my budget. What are your thoughts on this? 

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 14
I have an MSii+ and a Magni I love the sound I get.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
I have an MSii+ and a Magni I love the sound I get.

Hey isn't MSII+ same price range as Schiit Bifrost dac? Can you tell me why you didn't get that instead? Thanks.

Quote:
Listen to it when it arrives and make the judgement yourself?

You're right I should make my own judgment when i get it. I was just a little impatient. :)

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 14
might get more replies in the headphone/amp section rather than summit-fi.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 14
Received the Hifiman-He500 today, have a few hour in. To answer my own question. Yes it can drive it with a my samson s-amp. But it is not good. Sound Quality: the treble sound too warm and mids doesn't sound as foward as should, and the bass just sound gets muddy at high volume. Grado RS1i amped with Asus Xonar Essense STX sounds 10x better. I'm going to order a Xonar STX when I have the chance. 

I know it's not the headphone that sounds bad it's the "amp". 

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Picked up a Asus Xonar Essense STX today and the sound is wonderful. The He-500 really shine with this sound card. The samson is a piece of poo compare to it. I'm totally satisfy with the Hifiman+Xonar STX. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Just letting people know who debating between Grado's RS1i or Hifiman He-500. I think they are totally different headphones. They are both excellent. They are both winners you can't go wrong with either one. From my experience if you pair it with the Right amp and dac they are both super excellent. But try both before you decide to get one of these, as i say it is different beast with there own sound signature. Okay i'm out... time to listen to some music. :)

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Hey isn't MSII+ same price range as Schiit Bifrost dac? Can you tell me why you didn't get that instead? Thanks.

You're right I should make my own judgment when i get it. I was just a little impatient. :)

I don't think it was available then.  Also, you pay extra for USB and Schiit doesn't seem to really like USB.  So if I'm getting a USB Dac, why get one from a company that feels dirty implementing it?

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 14
any body?

Yes, me too, mine just arrived yesterday :)

I use my iPhone and laptop as the source and Fiio E11 as the amp, this head phone runs very well to my surprise, it is beyond my expectations.

so I believe any amp bigger and more expensive than Fiio E11 should deliver more and better performance to the HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back