Just ordered some Yamaha HP2 headphones
Mar 28, 2002 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

setmenu

Strongly opposes a DBT-free chair forum.
These are from the early 80s , apparently won awards and were
much liked at the time.
My reason for ordering them is their Planar drivers as I have some
interest in this transducer technology.

Anybody here heard them?

I will post comments when I receive them.

Setmenu
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 16
These are the little brother of the legendary HP-1. They are brown in color, and are basically a smaller version of the HP-1, smaller housings and drivers. They have a smooth warm, non fatiguing sound.

Mar 28, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 16
Cheers Beagle
I have not even seen an HP1, I would like to source one of those too!
Do they sound very similar to each other?

How about posting pics?

setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are from the early 80s , apparently won awards and were
much liked at the time.
My reason for ordering them is their Planar drivers as I have some
interest in this transducer technology.

Anybody here heard them?

I will post comments when I receive them.

Setmenu
biggrin.gif

Hi, it's kind of many years since this thread question was posed... but I just stumbled upon it. I just dug out my original pair of Yamaha HP-2 headphones that I bought around late 1970's from Harvey Elecrtonics in New York City. I remember at the time as a young dude and being more into rock n roll music, I thought that the headphones were not that good and were very low efficiency compared to my cheaper old Realistic headphones of the time. But as I grew older and my ears became more trained to know good accurate sound over hyped up in your face sound, I realized how really smooth and good these headphones really were/are! By the time I really appreciated their sound, the headbands thin plastic bands had deteriorated and cracked to pieces. This happened about in the 1990's I believe. But the rest of the headphone including the cloth where the cheap thin plastic headband supports were attached to are still intact now Aug 27, 2007! I am listening to them now as I write and they sound pretty good for 30 years old headphones! So even though its about 5 years late to answer your question (if you are still around even!) YES I've heard of these headphones. Are they collectors items now I wonder? I want to find a way to fix the adjustable head band and they will serve me well I believe. Of course I have bought quite a few more recent high end headphones recently like the Senn HD600, HD650, AKG K701 (which is still breaking in), Bose On-Ear Triports, Bose Over Ear Triports, Sony MDR-7509 and MDR-7506, Grado SR-80, many lower cost phones too. So I can compare this old Yamaha HP-2 I just dug out of my dusty collection box and have fun with it in my spare time
orphsmile.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 16
I bought a pair of the HP-1's back in 1977. They don't, of course, compare to the nwest generation of headphones like the Sennheiser HD650 or the AKG K701, but for their day, they sounded very accurate and smooth with a spakle in the top end and good bass. They were very well regarded in their day and I still listen to them occassionally and still find them very competent. They ran very well in 1977 off my Kenwood KA9100 integrated amp (no head amp) and gave me what I thought at the time was topnotch audiophile quality sound. I've learned (and spent) an awful lot since then and gained much in improving the sound quality of my phones. But, the law of diminishing returns starts to raise its ugly head.
280smile.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 16
Well, in the best tradition of this thread, about 5 years down the line from your post, I've stumbled upon your article re the Yamaha HP-2.  I too am sitting here writing this post, listening to spotify through them. I remember distinctly as a 16 year old going into Laskys in Bristol and asking for some Koss phones, as they were the brand most guys at my school then aspired to. The sales advisor said to me "before you buy the Koss, can I ask you to spend a couple of minutes listening to these Yamahas instead?"  I was a stubborn kid then, I wanted Koss but out of politeness, I agreed and it was to become one of those little life-changing moments. The sound to me was fabulous, evenly balanced, nice controlled bass, just a pleasure. The sales advisor must have been observing me because he then came up to me and took the Yamahas off my head and placed the Koss ones I'd wanted, over my ears. The sound difference was unbelievable. The Koss sounded "shelly", with a nasty peaky rasp, just like you get when you put a seashell over your ear. It was no contest, I had to have the Yamahas and am eternally grateful to that sales advisor. That was some 35 years or so ago. As with you, the thin plastic edging strips on the leather headband cracked in several places back in about 1990 but at the time I was able to contact Yamaha who supplied me with a new leather headband and strips. It took just 4 screws to replace it. Since then, the phones have had long periods of inactivity but I've fallen in love with them again recently. My taste in music has evolved from the stuff I listened to as a teenager and with digital music everywhere, these phones can still hack it. I've been to hifi shows in the last few years and have listened to the new stuff and although I can't do an A-B comparison, my Yamaha HP 2s leave me with nothing wanting. Just one other thing, they are incredibly tolerant to abuse. I know this because in my youth I was into electronic self builds and built several amplifiers and would use these phones while they were being driven directly on the amp speaker outputs. I guess the sound pressure levels did no good to my ears, I distinctly recollect the phones vibrating against my head to stuff like Pink Floyd but the phones have fared better than my ears in the long run. The leather pads are now looking a bit dull and creased, I'd love to get new pads for them, maybe I should contact Yamaha and see if by any chance they might just have some spares still for these fab phones. I'm getting into the vintage hifi, I just recently bought a Denon POA-2400 power amp. A friend of mine bought one new back in 1990 at the time I bought a NAD2600 and I always regretted not having a POA. For those who know that Denon amp, the build quality is simply astonishing and the clout it delivers through my Mission 765 hides the fact that its only 350W RMS per channel. It seems to move the house off its foundations.  I know this is not hyper exotic hfi but I'm very happy with these two gems in my collection.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 16
Hi all - since my post above earlier, I've had a look around on the web and see a fair bit of info about the Yam HP-2 but no sign of anyone likely to do spare earpads. So back to the community here - would anyone know of anywhere that might be able to supply some replacement leather outer pads for the Yamaha HP-2?  Having just looked at pics of what they were like new has made me realise how worn out the earpads are on mine. If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.  Thanks.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 16
Hi Phil.

I have a pair of the Yamaha HP-1 headphones and have been quite happy with them, but the ear pads are still quite solid even if they are from the late 70's.

There are a number of enthusiastic orthodynamic owner/collectors here who have contributed to a fairly epic forum thread called "the orthodynamic round up" it's here-> http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 16
I have some HP-2s coming in too. I got them because I'm a yamaha fan, and love Planars. I can't wait to try them out. Tho unsure if my reciever or my fiio e11 can drive them

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 16
In keeping with the thread, I just found my HP-2's and have them plugged into my laptop via my new Dragonfly USB DAC listening to some .flac files.  Old and new blend together nicely.  Its been a long long time since I've listened to them.  I seem to remember them costing around $40 back then and I couldn't afford the $50 HP-1s.  

Yes, other than the classic Koss's they replaced, I never owned another pair of headphones to compare them to.

Edit:  Seems I might have been wrong on the cost by a bit.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 16
A bit late in regards to this thread but anyway...

I have always wanted a pair of Yamaha orthos since I was 14 years old after listening to a pair of HP3's. I picked up a pair of HP2's a wee while ago in the original box and in cosmetically perfect condition. I LOVE THEM!
Not a bright in the treble as many modern phones (Grado SR80i for example) but so well balanced and clean. They complement very well recorded music which reflects the times I guess. 

I have not modified them, as many have, with some additional damping, but I am reluctant as I love them as they are. Interestingly they sound very good played through an iphone. 

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 16
I too still have a pair of Yamaha HP2 headphones . got them in the early 80's , A present from my wife. They were and still are a pleasure to listen to. sound as good as they did when I got them. the headbands did fall apart over time, but I modified it with a piece of leather re- enforced to the original felt band. IMHO it didn't turn out too bad.

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 16
I just pulled out my HP2s that I purchased in 1977 at an audio shop in downtown Berkeley California. I auditioned them on several piano pieces, as I found piano particularly challenging to reproduce. I spent a lot of time listening to music via my B&O receiver. I was listening to them today with Apple’s Spatial Audio / Dolby. They still have a great sound. Had to replace the head band with some fabric. The B&O receiver is long gone.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 16
I ,also have a pair of yamaha hp2's that still sound great to this day. I had to replace the headband, or rather rebuild the headband. I used some leather and glued the old felt to the leather and re attached to the inner units, worked out well, And yes they still sound great thru my Schiit headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back