Just ordered ER-6i... what now?
May 15, 2007 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

guitarman19853

100+ Head-Fier
Anything I should know about these headphones? Any accessories I should have? I don't have an amp but I imagine they will be fine without.

May 15, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 19
Upgrade your ipod to a zune! Also, the 6i's have some good words floating around for their nice neutral sound (though the words for the amp requiring 4s are of course better). Anywho, good choice!

May 15, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 19
Wait for them to come? There's not much else you need
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait for them to come? There's not much else you need
biggrin.gif

Yeah... this thread was more of a "i can't stand the wait and need to pass the time" thread
icon10.gif

This is my first IEM and actually my first headphone over $50 so i'm excited!

May 16, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 19
If you expect something miraculous and jaw-dropping -- particularly at first -- you might be disappointed. Now that that is out of the way, congratulations -- solid choice!

I've always thought that Etys took some getting used to, so don't be impatient with them. In fact, I had gotten ER6's several years ago, and was impressed with the isolation with the bi-flanges that come with them, but didn't take to them right away, so I also got some Shures and various canal phones and the ER6's got relegated to the second team. However, to make a long story short, I got some ER6i's last year, and using the short Comply foams instead of the evil-looking but harmless tri-flanges (haven't tried out the new Shure foams yet), I love them. It took me awhile to come back full circle to the Etys, but I'm glad I did. I wouldn't get on an airplane without them, and would use them daily if I rode a train or bus to work.

Give the Comply foams a chance (I use the short ones, and the tiny Etys almost disappear into my ears -- very low profile and excellent isolation), or try the standard Ety foams (which should also come with the tri-flanges) ... you have several options with the Etys, which is nice.

You won't get massive sub-woofer bass, but you'll get uncolored sound and a level of detail that should reveal elements in your favorite music that you didn't know were there. Fit and seal will affect the consistency and quality of the sound, so play around with them if you have to, to find just the right tips and fit that work best for you.

May 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman19853 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything I should know about these headphones? Any accessories I should have? I don't have an amp but I imagine they will be fine without.

I bought the ER6 from Provantage a few weeks ago, very good price and fast shipping.

They will sound good straight from the iPod, get an amp & line out dock later to hear an improvement.

I think the ER6 sounds great for the price.

Let us know what you think.

May 16, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 19
They are quite easy to drive, moreso than the ER-6s if I remember correctly (6i has lower impedance). Should sould fine unamped. Depending on what you're coming from, these CAN be night and day difference. In the good way.

Quote:

May 16, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 19
I just recently got the 6i's. At first, there was a lot of trial and error trying to get a comfortable fit and good seal with them. I could 'sort of' get a seal with the tri-flanges, but they would become painful after a couple of hours.

In the end, I reluctantly switched to the included foam eartips, and it was a night and day difference. Gone was the overly bright, thin sound I was getting with the flanges. Everything was just right with an incredible amount of detail. These things are indeed detail monsters.

Like someone else already mentioned, you will notice things in music you're already familiar with that you never heard before. Sung words that sounded mumbled with other phones you'll now be able to make out ("So THAT it what they were singing!"). Notes you did not know were there will suddenly be noticeable.

To sum up, I'm considering upgrading to the ER4's some time in the future. Maybe, maybe not. I do like the Ety house sound though.

Rick

May 16, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To sum up, I'm considering upgrading to the ER4's some time in the future. Maybe, maybe not. I do like the Ety house sound though.

welcome to the club. i bought my er4p two days after i ordered the er6i.

yeah...after the order...the things hadn't even come in the mail
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 19
I'd say to get a tube of Oto-Ease to make insertion more comfortable. IEMs take a little getting used to in any case, and adding a little lube will help you cross that bridge faster.

I'll second the earlier recommendation of Comply tips too, though you may well find the stock fit kit (which is fairly extensive) provides all you need.

May 16, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Just ordered ER-6i... what now?

Run far far far away from here before it starts dragging you back here and murdering your wallet.

May 16, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Accessories? Yeah. Q-tips and ear cleaning solution! :) Congratulations, they are a solid I.E.M.

May 16, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's better: the ER6i or the Altec im716?

IMO, the IM716 has more detail and does 'sound' better. However, the ER6i is much more comfortable, more portable (doesn't have that godawful pod), and requires less juice from an Ipod than the 716. Therefor, my ER6i's are my choice for portable use and at the gym, while I use my 716's listening at home with my laptop.

May 16, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Good choice on the ER6i. You shouldn't need an amp. They will be plenty loud with an ipod if you get a good seal. They are great on subways/trains. I found them (at least with the tri-flange) to be much more comfortable than the Shure E3c's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back