Just ordered DT880 from Headroom
Oct 27, 2006 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I just ordered DT880 from headroom.

My interests are Classical and Romantic era music. Sometimes I listen to ambient and New Age music also. Rock,Rap,Pop,Techno music don't have a place in my list. That's why after all research I have ordered for DT880. Hope I will not be disappointed with the can.

I searched for a music shop where I can audition some HD600/650/K701 but I found only one shop in my surroundings (Detroit, Michigan). That shop had only HD650, which made difference from other HD5xx they had. But the responses I got for the thread http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205282 made me re-think about purchasing HD650. Since many people say K701 has an artificial sound (not musical), I was left with the choice of DT880, which I just ordered.

Note: K701 owners don't need to take my comment on K701 seriously. I know it's a great can and appreciate it for various other reasons but I believe DT880 would beat it for Classical music. I wanted to audition DT880 and K701 before ordering but I don't find these high-end cans anywhere in my place. So just spending some money on Beyer based on reviews.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 22
AFAIK, DT880 is even LESS musical than K701. Its cold and analytical, with very extended bass but again analytic and anemic when it comes to impact.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 22
I happen to own the trifecta of the HD650, the K701 and the latest DT880 (plus the Ultrasone Proline 750) and all I can say is that they are all excellent headphones, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I like the Proline 750 for its bass and imaging, the HD650 for the purity of it's sound, the K701 of it's overall balance and the DT880s because it is by far the most comfortable and the most fun to listen to.

Basically you can't go wrong with any of these four very fine headphones. It's really splitting hairs and just a matter of personal choice picking between them.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 22
I hope you got the 32ohm DT880, because the other models don't perform at all without an amp. DT880 greatly improve when using a tube amp (my 2003 DT880 are excellent with my MF X-can v3/Mullard, especially for classical music).
K701 greatly improves with burn-in (I suspect a lot of comments may come from people having judged them without enough patience to let them burn-in).

For your choise of music the DT880 can be realy outstanding. Hope you'll enjoy them.

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 22
Whether the dt880 is successful for you as a classical music headphone will depend largely on how you amp them. The 880 can be a great headphone, but not without the right amplification, they are very amp dependant. With the wrong amplification, or no amplification, they can sound thin, strident, and overly clinical.

I am a classical music fan, and owned the 880's for a period, and they never worked for me. Although there are may who love the 880's, and they are quality headphones, no doubt. Their fans like them for everything I disliked about them, but that's why we fortunately have a number of headphones to chose from. I ultimately found classical listening satisfaction with the Senn hd600's.

-augustwest

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
I happen to own the trifecta of the HD650, the K701 and the latest DT880 (plus the Ultrasone Proline 750) and all I can say is that they are all excellent headphones, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I like the Proline 750 for its bass and imaging, the HD650 for the purity of it's sound, the K701 of it's overall balance and the DT880s because it is by far the most comfortable and the most fun to listen to.

Basically you can't go wrong with any of these four very fine headphones. It's really splitting hairs and just a matter of personal choice picking between them.

Get all three. It's always good to be spoiled for choice
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
Not a bad suggestion but at least he's off to a good start.
600smile.gif

I still need a pair of DT880
tongue.gif
The circle will then be complete!!!

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
tongue.gif

Au contraire, but you will have only just begun since we yet to discuss the oh so trifling matter of cabling, especially with the HD650, which makes it so damn easy to recable.

To quote from a favorite old movie of my: "A monster's work is never done."

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 22
I placed my order earlier in the week for a pair of 880s (from Amazon Marketplace vendor). Going to pair it with the Go-Vibe V5. Nothing has gotten here yet, and I can hardly wait.

I'm sure I'll see you around one these forums as we try them out.
3000smile.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 22
A person could be very happy with any of these headphones. All are exceptional performers. Each person when comparing them will have their own preferences. After hearing all of them many will favors one over the others. This in no way detracts from the performance of the less favored headphones.

You’ll love the 880’s. Enjoy them and don’t listen to what anyone else says about your purchase.

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 22
Having heard the DT990 and DT770, I'd think the DT880 would do great for classical. I think I would prefer the K701 because of its glorious soundstage, but the DT880's reputed very strident highs will probably sound great with strings. The DT880 has been listed by everyone as a great buy. Despite being an AKG man, I can only echo what Yikes said; it's your purchase, I'm certain you'll enjoy it, and be glad you made it. Hey, we can't all buy the same brand of headphones; the others would go out of business. Happy listening.

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
tongue.gif

Unless of course you think about the DT990 as Beyer's model instead. :p And what about Grado, Ultrasone, and A-T?

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Unless of course you think about the DT990 as Beyer's model instead. :p And what about Grado, Ultrasone, and A-T?

My wallet's empty
wink.gif
When I get my next allowance, I'll see if I can get a pair of DT880 or RS2 (+ save-up for customs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
A person could be very happy with any of these headphones. All are exceptional performers. Each person when comparing them will have their own preferences. After hearing all of them many will favors one over the others. This in no way detracts from the performance of the less favored headphones.

You’ll love the 880’s. Enjoy them and don’t listen to what anyone else says about your purchase.

Very encouraging indeed! Sometimes, I just don't care what headphones I'm using because if they're vaguely good headphones, the music speaks for itself.

EDIT: One more thing - I find that it is simply inadequate just basing your judgement of a headphone on someone else's impressions. You don't know how the Bose Triports sound until you hear them. Likewise, the HD650/600 vs DT880/990 vs K701 comparisons are not as clear cut as one would prefer. It's very difficult to put what you hear into words. I only fully appreciated the differences between the HD650 and the K701 after listening to both for extended periods. When I recommended buying all 3 (or five), I wasn't not joking
biggrin.gif
Let your own ears be the final judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back