Just ordered AKG K701 !!!!!! and now waht?
Dec 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
ssup y'all,

I was thinking about these pairs all dayz all nights and finally got them. gonna pair with e9/e10 combo, i know it might be underpowered but by the time I figure out a desktop rig, I hope I can still enjoy them. One of the reason that helped me hurt my wallet is that the k 240 I am using now are really really awesome for the price ( 99 bucks) and I kinda extend this projection onto the k701 for being cheaper than others like hd650 and dt 880

It's not going to be underpowered and anyone who says that has been on Head-Fi way too long. The K701 will most definitely benefit from amp upgrades though.

BTW you're a genius to get the E10 over the E7. That should be a far better match for the K701 than the E7. I found the treble of the E7 kind of bothersome and E7+E9 would be like a double whammy for me with the K701.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
It's not going to be underpowered and anyone who says that has been on Head-Fi way too long. The K701 will most definitely benefit from amp upgrades though.

I'm not sure (literally) if I agree with the first sentence, though I definitely agree with the second.

I'd say be prepared to expect a really beautifully made and engineered product,
with a very wide soundstage.  And incredibly comfortable to wear.

Be prepared also for a long break in period, especially with respect to the bass.

IMO, for about 90% or so of music, they are a terrific head-fi experience.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 10
hey thanks guys, I just got them a few mins ago and after I figured out how to work it with the e9 e10 combo, i'm really enjoying it!!!!

so emazing...

now i want to find some music that can do justice to the akg!!

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 10

hey thanks guys, I just got them a few mins ago and after I figured out how to work it with the e9 e10 combo, i'm really enjoying it!!!!

so emazing...

now i want to find some music that can do justice to the akg!!

I just sold off my AKG K701's just recently even though I would have rather kept them. I found classical music to be my most favorite thing to listen to on them. Classical and jazz seemed to really bring out some of the K701's best qualities in my experience.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:

I just sold off my AKG K701's just recently even though I would have rather kept them. I found classical music to be my most favorite thing to listen to on them. Classical and jazz seemed to really bring out some of the K701's best qualities in my experience.

they do great with acoustic guitar

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Although I really enjoyed the k702 I had, my brain never got used to the sound and i was constantly reaching for the volume knob to find that feeling from the music i got at higher volumes with the 702. This led to much fatigue and me worrying for my hearing... I had the 240s before the 702 and must say i "enjoyed" the 240s more... I went to a k601 later in my head-fi journey and really liked that phone. Granted i never had the best amp for the 702 ( at the time it was a indeed hybrid amp) i feel they got enough power. I would really like to hear a 70x with my lyr/bifrost since the lyr is supposedly really awesome with the 701/2

M

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Although I really enjoyed the k702 I had, my brain never got used to the sound and i was constantly reaching for the volume knob to find that feeling from the music i got at higher volumes with the 702. This led to much fatigue and me worrying for my hearing... I had the 240s before the 702 and must say i "enjoyed" the 240s more... I went to a k601 later in my head-fi journey and really liked that phone. Granted i never had the best amp for the 702 ( at the time it was a indeed hybrid amp) i feel they got enough power. I would really like to hear a 70x with my lyr/bifrost since the lyr is supposedly really awesome with the 701/2

M

I'm pretty sure I know to what you're referring - it's sort of a lack of "slam" or dynamics in certain places.
Generally most obvious with drums, especially tom toms - but in other areas too.

So I turn up the volume to gain the dynamics...but of course never too high.

Nonetheless, with many types of music the 702's produce stellar sound and are deserving of their excellent reputation.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 10
^ Agreed

They do produce stellar sound! 

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back