Just ordered a new camera!
Sep 15, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
I just pulled the trigger on Canon S2. I wanted this camera even before it was announced because i know how great S1 was so S2 had to be better. When it came out, i knew it was perfect camera for me. I was waiting for a good deal on it. Dell had them for $370 and i missed that deal somehow. Then it went out of stock for the entire summer and they just got them again. Today i saw the 15% off and i also had $50 and $75 consession (sp?) coupons from a while ago. So i called them to get a better deal and ended up getting it for $350 using my $50 coupon. I think $350 is a GREAT deal on this camera. To avoid 8% tax in NY, i had to ship it to my brother in DC and will only get it on Sept. 30th because thats when he is coming home. I also got a 1GB ULTRA II SD card for $12 using my $75 coupon but it is backordered so i dont know when i will get it. However i already have a 512mb SD card so i will use that for now. Now i will need to get a bag, tripod, batteries, and a lens adaptor with filters to protect the lens.

I need some help getting batteries. I want to get 2500mah ones and i heard that MAHA makes good ones. Do you think i need 8 batteries or 4 will be enough? Which charger is the best? i am willing to spend up to about $55 on batteries.

For lens adaptor i am thinking of getting Lensmate 58mm one. If i ever get a better camera, i will probably need bigger filters so 58mm will make more sense to get then 52mm. Which filters should i get and which ones are good?

For bag and tripod i will go to B&H and see what they got. Please help me out and dont forget i am not made out of money so i dont want to spend another $400 on accessories. And this camera also means no headphones upgrade for me for a LOOONG time!

PS: sorry for the long post, i wanted to include all details.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Now for the photography lessons...

icon10.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Now for the photography lessons...

heh, how about you give me some lessons?

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
do you have any plans for photography lessons? Ive seen your work, Its not bad but some lessons wouldnt hurt ya
cool.gif

I am too broke for lessons and my school schedule is pretty full already so i cant take a photography class. My lessons is things i read online and just practice

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
have you considered joining a photography forum so people can critique you work?

yes of course. i been lurking dpreview.com for a LONG time. gonna join soon when i get it.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
I just pulled the trigger on Canon S2.

Best of luck on your new purchase, Mr. Slacker! The S2 is a very nice purchase indeed; the imager is an excellent one, with Canon's noise reduction technology. Of course, I am a Nikonian at heart, so I must also state that the new D50 is an amazing camera as well for the money and has interchangeable lenses.

An that takes me to the first advice: try not to over-accessorize this capable camera, but save the money for a DSLR with interchangeable lenses like the D50, D70s or upcoming D200. The camera has a nice zoom lens range; and like most small imager digicams, they are short on the wide angle end.

The nice thing about today's digicams is that they permit you to concentrate on composition and use the automatic modes at first, then paying attention to varying exposure profiles that the S2 has.

The S2 does have many exposure profiles in lieu of a manual exposure and it's a great idea to experiment with landscape, portrait, closeup and even stitching modes.

Good luck!

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 18
I got a new camera too, for a very excellent price, $260!

Fujifilm F10

F10_front.left.jpg

Well, yeah. It's a nice P&S model with a unique feature. It has a usable ISO setting of 1600. The pictures are a little bit grainy at that setting but sometimes it beats the heck out of using a flash in a dark room.

Sep 16, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 18
yes the deal is still alive but i am being charged $375 instead of promised $350 because someone screwed it up and they dont want to fix it. and i dont want their $25 coupon coz i wasted my $50 one to get the deal. anyways i'll let you know how it will end up

Sep 16, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 18
i'm guessing this means no headphones for your birthday? well photog is a great hobby too, enjoy!

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i'm guessing this means no headphones for your birthday? well photog is a great hobby too, enjoy!

unless you want to help out with that.
tongue.gif
i havent listened to my headphones for over a week already and i dont miss it that much. i use speakers and at night i just make them lower and parents dont complain so its all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back