Just Lost My HD - And All My Music
Jun 5, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 34
ouch ... that really bites.  I've really only started getting back into music since I happened to stumble into this forum ... my wallets been hating me ever since.

Anyways, have a check with one of the suggested data recovery pro's.  8 years worth of music may just be worth spending some cotton notes.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 34
Ouch, painful, we're with you in spirit as many have said. I've yet to lose a hard drive with eight years of owning some computer. If I lose all my backups at once, I would re-rip over time rather than pay some unholy sum to get the data back. That's insane. My two acorns. :wink:

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 34
^ My thoughts exactly.  Also a good opportunity to make sure everything is lossless this time around.  I had a considerable collection of lossy from my pre-head-fi days.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 34
Toss it in a ziplock bag and try the freezer.  worked once for me and I saved 3/4 of my music collection.  I got one shot at it this way.  People can say it's a myth or stupid but it worked for me so...

read this http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/26193-hard-drive-freezer-trick/

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #24 of 34
I had a drive that died on me too couple months ago.. the infamous "click of death" on a 6 year old hard drive. Lost 500 GB of music, had no back up T_T.
Now I'm using a 2.0 TB Caviar Green as my main and another exact copy as my back up. Approaching 1.7 TB of music now.
Seriously considering opening a small safety deposit box at a local bank to store another back up in.
I can't go through another loss again ~_~ too time consuming and painful.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 34
you could try to find the exact same model and size and swap out the pcb see if that works.

I just lost both drives from a stupid cable issue and am backing up dual now. 2 copies every time I back up on separate drives. 1 backup isn't going to cut it for me and drives cost so little these days.

Hope the pcb swap will work for you. I saw a fireproof enclosure today, not sure what the capacity is but the box was enormous. cool idea.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Quote:

A Hitachi 2.5". 

It's a mechanical failure, or at least, sounds like one.  Disk can't spin and as I said before, sounds like a dentists drill.

The drive is busted. The head probably came in contact with the rotating platter ruining the drive. In my 20 odd years of using a pc, I had a 1 TB hard-drive fail on me once. I have around 8 TB worth of stuff now that is not backed up. If something fails, I'll probably just get it again. 
biggrin.gif

I feel sorry for your loss though

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
It's not backed up unless you have at least 3 different copies in 3 different places.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the 3:2:1 version of backup dogma. Offsite backups are great but if you start backing up large amounts of data (like the 3+ TB I'm dealing with right now) it starts to become either extremely expensive (read: thousands of dollars a year) as well as extremely slow (backing it up over a net connection, or extremely inconvenient. After all, what good is a backup that's more than a few days old?

Besides the 3:2:1 approach only helps protect against natural disasters and burglary. The only natural disaster I have to really worry about where I live would be a bad earthquake (in which case any off-site backups would have to be hundreds of miles away to matter) and I live in an area with virtually no break-ins.

Quote:
The drive is busted. The head probably came in contact with the rotating platter ruining the drive. In my 20 odd years of using a pc, I had a 1 TB hard-drive fail on me once. I have around 8 TB worth of stuff now that is not backed up. If something fails, I'll probably just get it again. 
biggrin.gif

I feel sorry for your loss though

Yeah, I have 2 TB of non-backed-up data. But I'm taking steps to rectify that. I've been pricing out the parts to man an NAS. 6 to 8 TB of redundant storage with an extra 2 TB for backing up my desktop. It'll cost me around $900 with shipping. Can't wait to set this bad-boy up.

The reason it's 6 or 8 is because I haven't decided if I want to protect against one HD failure or two. More space or more protection. Can't decide.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
Toss it in a ziplock bag and try the freezer.  worked once for me and I saved 3/4 of my music collection.  I got one shot at it this way.  People can say it's a myth or stupid but it worked for me so...

read this http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/26193-hard-drive-freezer-trick/

I've successfully used that trick several times. I don't know if I'd try it on a frozen platter though, usually only works on problems with the disk controller in my experience.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #30 of 34
Just by same HDD as the one that failed on you and replace parts that are bad, and you should be good to go and copy all over your stuff. Did that few times, but dont expect long life due to dust entering hdd, unless you have 100% dust free environment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back