Just lost an ebay auction for a pair of K340
Oct 29, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #31 of 64
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by Number9
You must want them bad Jude.

Please explain your actions. Are they tax deductible?

very_evil_smiley.gif

[/size]I wanted them bad enough to pay what I paid. The seller claims them to be in mint condition, and the photos (however not very detailed) didn't seem to contradict him -- I'll find out when I get them.

Explain my actions? I'm a headphone hobbyist. These are old, discontinued headphones with a reasonably good reputation, and a mint set of them probably isn't easy to find.

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Explain my actions? I'm a headphone hobbyist.

Aren't we all. . . .

No need to explain your actions. Good luck with the 340s, Jude
biggrin.gif

I just found a pair of Jecklin Float IIs on Audiogon. I sent the m.o. for them today. I had a pair, years ago. I don't remember the sound from them all that well, but I loved the fit and the openness. Probably why I bought the AKG K-1000s--I like the open sound. Not that the Jecklins are anywhere close in sound, but they do share one thing--I'll look pretty interesting wearing 'em
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #33 of 64
Jude, Please. Don't take my earlier comments the wrong way.

You spent some pretty serious money on these phones (which I happen to also own).

Was curious as to your motivations.

Nuff said.

Oct 29, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #34 of 64
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Jude, Please. Don't take my earlier comments the wrong way.

You spent some pretty serious money on these phones (which I happen to also own).

Was curious as to your motivations.

Nuff said.

[/size]I took no offense to your questions, and was only trying to answer them.

Thanks, by the way, for the e-mail about cable suggestions for these headphones. If I decide to change the cable, I may have to find someone to do this for me, though, as I wouldn't trust myself to work in the confines of those earpieces, especially given the complexity of the thing (I found some online internal pictures).

Oh well, I don't imagine I'd be voiding any sort of warranty, eh?

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #35 of 64
This is a 1984 hybrid electrostatic-dynamic headphone, is that right? I'm surprised they're ok with standard headphone voltage. Jude, please post your initial thoughts without making us wait behind your other 50 reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #36 of 64
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
This is a 1984 hybrid electrostatic-dynamic headphone, is that right? I'm surprised they're ok with standard headphone voltage. Jude, please post your initial thoughts without making us wait behind your other 50 reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

[/size]

Hehe. I'll try. Not sure exactly when they're arriving (hopefully soon). Here's some information I found on the Web:
  1. http://www.audiocircuit.com/9111-esh...1CMAKG-PIC.htm
  2. http://www.audiocircuit.com/9111-esh.../9111CMAKG.htm
  3. http://www.head-fi.org/member_pics/j...--340-spec.jpg

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

You must want them bad Jude.

Please explain your actions. Are they tax deductible?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Headphones would be subject to the hobby loss rules, and thus NOT available as a tax deduction. Unless, of course, one could become a legitimate dealer....

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 64
The 340s are actually an "electret" /dynamic type (based on my correspondence with AKG).

The electret diaphram is permanantly charged, thus does not need a high bias voltage like regular electrostatics. It's good for 40 years approximately, according to AKG. The dynamic driver handles the low end, while the electret the mid and highs.

Compared to today's phones, they sound muted (dull) both in bass and treble extension but do have an uncanny ability to "project" in the midrange, in such a way to capture the acoustical space of a recording. Why it does what it does, I don't know (perhaps because no DFE??). But it is a unique attribute I have yet to hear in other phones I have tried. Can be improved immensly by replacing the lamp-cord headphone cable. OFC was not yet widely used in '82.

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Compared to today's phones, they sound muted (dull) both in bass and treble extension but do have an uncanny ability to "project" in the midrange, in such a way to capture the acoustical space of a recording. Why it does what it does, I don't know (perhaps because no DFE??). But it is a unique attribute I have yet to hear in other phones I have tried. Can be improved immensly by replacing the lamp-cord headphone cable. OFC was not yet widely used in '82.

This is exactly the way that I would describe the K-145s. Glorious midrange, so-so treble/bass.

According to AKG's tech support, the K340 was introduced first, in 1978, while the K145 came out in 1984, last produced in 1989.

Also, today I ordered replacement pads for the K145s. The woman who took my order told me that they no longer have replacement pads for the 340s.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #40 of 64
Yes, the midrange, and not necessarily because of timbre, are what makes the 340s unique too.

They really project and add space to voice and instruments. Almost 3-D. Who needs Dolby Headphone with these.

I've been scratching my head as to why. I don't get this effect with my Beyer 931s, nor AKG 240DFs. I even borrowed a pair of Grado RS-1s, and they too, could not create the acoustic space as well as these.

The only reason I can think of, is that they are not diffiuse field equalized. Just I guess ... I wish I knew the real secret. I used to own a pair of Pioneer electrostatic headphones (yes) many years ago, and they seemed to be able to (if memory serves) to do the same. Maybe its something to do with electrostats?

Are the 145s electrets too?

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Are the 145s electrets too?

Yes, the 145s are electrets, too.

Again, here's what they told me at the AKG web site:

"The K145 were twoway - headphones with a combination of an electrodynamic bass/midrange driver and electret condenser treble capsule."

I don't know why the midrange does what it does. Yes, it does remind me of electrostatics (I once had a Lambda Pro, about 11 years ago, and I recently sold the Stax Basic system) in the way it handles the midrange. Again, not bad for the $75 I paid for them.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #43 of 64
Kelley ... Phase hmmm
confused.gif

Are you saying they are out of phase, or in phase?

I did not think you could get phase issues with headphones. If the wires were crossed, you'd get hum on the ground wire. No?

FCJ. I only paid $40 for mine. Bargoon.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #44 of 64
Number9
If they're wired out of phase, the sound will be dispersed and lack focus. I was kidding, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

FCJ. I only paid $40 for mine. Bargoon.
biggrin.gif

Bargoon, indeed. Was that the sale that I saw on Audiogon a week or so ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back