Just Looking for a Good Pair of IEM's
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

p0z3rph0l1f3

New Head-Fier
For casual listening and stuff off of my laptop I must say that my bose triports work perfectly for my taste. One major problem though...I'm a college student that is constantly on the move from class to class and carrying around the larger monitors is slightly obtrusive. I bought the E2C's about a year ago and must say that I was significantly dissatisfied with them considering they didn't sound any better than the piece of crap buds that came with my iPod. I listen to all types of music so I'm looking for something that has somewhat of a good "all over the charts sound," as in something that can get bass thumping on the rap, as well as the highs and lows for the more mello music. Anyways I'm looking to spend upwards of around $100 but could be persuaded to spend more if there's a holy grail so to speak of IEM's, any recomendations??

Thanks
orphsmile.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 30
If you can up your budget to $130, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Future Sonics Atrio M5. I recently acquired a pair and have been very impressed by their sound quality.............excellent bass, coupled with above average mids and a decent high end.
Here's a long (VERY) thread on them: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234707
Although I haven't heard them, many people have posted positive impressions of the Crossroads MylarOne X3, which can be had for $57 shipped.
Here's a thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241541

Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can up your budget to $130, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Future Sonics Atrio M5. I recently acquired a pair and have been very impressed by their sound quality.............excellent bass, coupled with above average mids and a decent high end.
Here's a long (VERY) thread on them: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234707
Although I haven't heard them, many people have posted positive impressions of the Crossroads MylarOne X3, which can be had for $57 shipped.
Here's a thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241541

Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

x2 and then some for the Future Sonics Atrio M5's. Unamped through the headphone jack of my 5G iPod, they handle all styles of music. Amped they sound great. Well worth the $$.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 30
Just remember to manage expectations with any IEMs ... the low-profile, highly portable IEMs won't readily do what headphones do. And remember that IEMs will have a different sound signature from Triports, anyway ... it seems that the Triport sound signature has been imprinted as your baseline for portable audio, and any IEM will sound different from that and possibly seem "wrong" at first. Get something good and give your ears a couple of weeks to adapt to the new earphones.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 30
x2 on either the Atrios or the X3s. Former for a smoother, nicer sound, but the X3s also deliver for the price. Funny, but I have basically shed all my other in-ear phones for these two products, and that was after a lot of searching, admittedly in the mid to low-end range. But I can say, and I know this can be heresy on Head-Fi, I think I found what I was looking for. Now, I have to stop coming here.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....I think I found what I was looking for. Now, I have to stop coming here.

Good luck
rolleyes.gif

I've failed miserably

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0z3rph0l1f3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok well I don't know where you can get them on a 130 dollar budget everywhere i've seen is 170 and up....care to share your secrets for cheap pricing?

Quite a few people here have purchased them for $130 by making an offer of that amount.............it is most often accepted by the seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FutureSonics-Atr...QQcmdZViewItem

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

OMG! Just got mine today they sound amazing! Thanks to all those who contributed.

no problem. I really enjoy the Atrios still. They have led an end for IEM searching. Of course, I just bought a pair of RP-21s, since I didn't have any closed phones. Doh!

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

OMG! Just got mine today they sound amazing! Thanks to all those who contributed.

You're quite welcome; even though I didn't post with a recommendation the Atrio is what I would have said too. Just wait until they have fully burned in... everything settles and just gets more smooth and balanced. The bass is a tad boomy in the beginning, but it gets more settled with a few days burning in. Be sure to try some of the Shure black foam tips. If you read toward the end of the long thread about the Atrio, some of us are tying the shure black foam tip reversed on the post of the earphone. It makes the seal even better that way and increases detail more. It's very nice. I guess everyone's ears are a bit different though, and what works for some may not be the best solution for others, although most who have tried it seem to like them better that way.

Enjoy!

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 30
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there photos (even one photo) of the Atrios being worn? (In the giant thread, maybe? If so, which page?) To me, the design looks like a big Nike "swoosh" -- how big are they, how far do they stick out, etc.?

Congratulations, p0z3rph0l1f3, on your Head-Fi success story!

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there photos (even one photo) of the Atrios being worn? (In the giant thread, maybe? If so, which page?) To me, the design looks like a big Nike "swoosh" -- how big are they, how far do they stick out, etc.?

Congratulations, p0z3rph0l1f3, on your Head-Fi success story!

Ok ok... so since I'm not terribly busy at 5pm on Friday and have my dept. camera right here, I decided to try to snap a couple of myself with how I wear them. Bear in mind that I have the med Shure black foam tips reversed, and the Atrios sit nice & deep in my ear. I like them down, as you'll see, and with the Shure tips they feel incredibly secure... no need to even bother with them over the ear. I love them this way, & forget that I'm wearing them. Hope this helps....(& forgive the unshaven mess that I am!)

DSC01903.JPG

DSC01904.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back