Just Looking for a Good Pair of IEM's
Jun 30, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #17 of 30
HAHA. All my sisters did the same thing when I told them I go to headphone forums.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM cheesecake. My wife saw me scrolling through this page and almost collapsed laughing. Of course, she hates headphones.

Aww crap, are your girls all getting a laugh at my picture's expense?? I shoulda known!! I may have to move the pics so that the dreaded red X box shows up...

LaBreaHead- at least let me know that the pictures helped you out.... heh heh.

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww crap, are your girls all getting a laugh at my picture's expense?? I shoulda known!! I may have to move the pics so that the dreaded red X box shows up...

LaBreaHead- at least let me know that the pictures helped you out.... heh heh.

Hey, I liked the photos. my wife was the one laughing.

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
m5 is a better phone. but $70 more

thanks! i might be able to afford the $70 more
etysmile.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #23 of 30
cn11 -- thanks for the photos. The 'phones are smaller than I had thought, and I think they must look even lower-profile worn "down." And I agree about the stability when using good foamies.

I promise not to show anyone the photos -- I get enough grief from friends and co-workers, as it is.

Edit: Would these be considered IEMs or, because of their drivers, just canal phones? Of course, if they're designed to be stage monitors, I suppose that answers my question.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB (out on short-term loan)
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #25 of 30
Ha ha, thanks! I had a coworker barge in my office when I was on Head-fi looking at a pic of a Head-Fi'er wearing the Atrio while I was considering it too, and he just about fell over laughing. Guess those poor slobs can't understand.

The atrios are really aren't that big as you can see. I routinely doze off at night with them on, and it's like I forget I have them in. I have always worn them down, as I'm too impatient to mess with routing them up over the ear, and bending the memory wire and all. With the Shure black foam tips reversed, they seal up so fast it only takes a couple seconds for them to expand out to form the seal. And they stay put securely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn11 -- thanks for the photos. The 'phones are smaller than I had thought, and I think they must look even lower-profile worn "down." And I agree about the stability when using good foamies.

I promise not to show anyone the photos -- I get enough grief from friends and co-workers, as it is.

Edit: Would these be considered IEMs or, because of their drivers, just canal phones? Of course, if they're designed to be stage monitors, I suppose that answers my question.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB (out on short-term loan)
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #26 of 30
Hey so I have a couple follow up questions. First off whats the easiest way to fully do a good burn-in? I've seen things about pink noise and such, should i let the phones just sit all night with a track of that on repeat or is it better to listen to more my style of music so it becomes accustomed to that? Secondly Cn do you by any chance have a link for the shure foamies ur referring to, I noticed if I get the phones just right they stay in really well but without a good seal they don't sound quite as good.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #27 of 30
There's a bit if discussion about using a pink noise file that repeats overnight at medium volume which is supposed to be ideal. However I got mine before that popped up and never did it. I just listened a ton! I just made sure to keep them at a nice medium volume. I think this was probably just fine too. I was noticing changes within the first two hours of listening. It got more refined and smooth and balanced... the bass settled down some too. The soundstage grew. That was the most dramatic time of improvement, and from then on it was just subtle over about a week.

As for the Shure black olives, you can order them from:

www.earphonesolutions.com

(IF they're in stock). If they don't have them, you can go to Ebay & get them from the seller 'idealsound'.

http://stores.ebay.com/iDealSound

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0z3rph0l1f3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey so I have a couple follow up questions. First off whats the easiest way to fully do a good burn-in? I've seen things about pink noise and such, should i let the phones just sit all night with a track of that on repeat or is it better to listen to more my style of music so it becomes accustomed to that? Secondly Cn do you by any chance have a link for the shure foamies ur referring to, I noticed if I get the phones just right they stay in really well but without a good seal they don't sound quite as good.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha ha, thanks! I had a coworker barge in my office when I was on Head-fi looking at a pic of a Head-Fi'er wearing the Atrio while I was considering it too, and he just about fell over laughing. Guess those poor slobs can't understand.

The atrios are really aren't that big as you can see. I routinely doze off at night with them on, and it's like I forget I have them in. I have always worn them down, as I'm too impatient to mess with routing them up over the ear, and bending the memory wire and all. With the Shure black foam tips reversed, they seal up so fast it only takes a couple seconds for them to expand out to form the seal. And they stay put securely.

X2 on the impatience with over the ear. Just not worth the time and trouble. I moved the shirt clip from the X3s I got to the Atrios, and that also helps a ton. The X3s don't need a shirt clip, but it works with the M5s.

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 30
But rap doesn't have thumping bass
frown.gif
That genre requires a product that can reproduce bloated upperbass. Low bass and rap aren't very common.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But rap doesn't have thumping bass
frown.gif
That genre requires a product that can reproduce bloated upperbass. Low bass and rap aren't very common.

Heh heh, try the Atrio with the Trekstor Vibez then where you can specify exactly what frequency each of the 6 bands affects. I'm a little bit of a bass-head, admittedly, and this setup is amazing in impact. I'm in heaven.
basshead.gif
For my listening for example, I have the first two bands in the bass range set way down low at 20 hz, and the first one is bumped up about 5 out of 12 stops, and the second at 2 stops. This to my ear just gives the way down low freq. a smooth, subtle bump. You could do the first one at say 32 hz, then the next one at 60 hz, which would give the mid bass some warmth. It really is a great dap/IEM combination. The SQ of the Vibez flat is reviewed to be one of the best on the market. Do some searching, I bet this combo would be right in line with your musical taste.

-Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back