Just Killed my First Driver! [Grado Content]
Mar 25, 2024 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

i-am-iron-man

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I don't think I've ever killed a brand new driver before so I thought: ask the community for thoughts on what's happened to the driver. This is/was a brand-new 50mm Grado driver that I tested for continuity when it arrived and then fitted into a set of 'test' cups - so these were tip-top until I moved them into their 'forever home'.

The fault would appear to be severe 'grattle'. This is very evident even with the driver hooked up to a cable but not in a headphone - the driver itself makes a bad buzzing noise when it's running and, as you'd expect, much more so on lower frequencies. My finger of suspicion: the wire inside the driver looks very close to the diaphragm, and I can't think of anything else that'd make that could cause so much interference with it. I've had a good look under a light and can't see visible damage to the diaphragm, or anything else untoward.

Things to consider:
- I've got somewhat careless over time when handling drivers and I've had no end of contact with mylar. This was no exception, I definitely bonked one of the drivers and casually popped the wrinkle back out with some tape - I didn't think twice about it but I assume this is what must have borked the driver. I'm fairly sure I did hit the middle though!
- I also opened two of the holes on the back. I was quite careful as I'm not a fan of doing this, but again, not my first rodeo and I didn't get near the diaphragm. I was thinking it might be possible for some lint to have got into the driver but I can't see it causing the driver to behave this badly.

I've already ordered a replacement pair [sigh] so I'm not averse to experimenting with the incumbent driver to see if I can restore its happiness.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't think I've ever killed a brand new driver before so I thought: ask the community for thoughts on what's happened to the driver.

No idea what’s happened to the driver but I’d go ahead and kill any other Grado drivers you have, including the drivers in any Grado headphones you currently own. You’ll be doing the audio world and your ears a favour in the long run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back