Just Joined Team Melos
Apr 26, 2002 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
My Melos just arrived Aeberbach (great person to deal with) today. I must say I've heard some good headphone amps in the past few months. There is just something about the Melos. It is everything, everybody says it is. Oh so smooth. It is much bigger than I thought. The power LED starts out red then changes to green. Warm-up? I'm using it with Cambridge D500SE,Kimber Silver Streaks and HD600's w/Cardas. Sovtek 6922 tubes (for now).
It is a quality unit. Not even a hint of hum or hiss. I am very, pleased with this unit as you can tell from my gushing.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 21
Congratulations, lextek. I'm glad you're enjoying your Melos. I'm in the process of evaluating my SHA-Gold as a dedicated preamp in my main speaker system...so far, so good!

Have a good time, man!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 21
I can't wait to try one! Is the Melos like a must-have for the HD600? I'd like to do a comparison with Melos, RKV, MOH, MID, Sugden, and TwinHead. [/mental image]

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 21
I think the Melos/HD 600 combination sounds terrific. From what I understand, Kelly has heard the Senns sound better on other amps. For dynamic phones and that "hybrid" sound ( the Melos dosen't really sound tubey like say....an EMP), IMO, the Melos really shines.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Congratulations, lextek. I'm glad you're enjoying your Melos. I'm in the process of evaluating my SHA-Gold as a dedicated preamp in my main speaker system...so far, so good!

Have a good time, man!

smily_headphones1.gif

That's another plus. Iwanted to get some tubes in my speaker system. A BONUS.

Apr 26, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 21
I'd like to find some History on Melos (the company). I think they were made in NJ? Any source for manuals or copies?

Apr 27, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 21
I will post more RKV impressions in the near future. With the HD600, my general thought is that the Melos has sweeter upper mids and highs and the RKV has phenemenol lower mids and bass.

Although, I thought the headphone for the Melos was supposed to be the HP-1?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Although, I thought the headphone for the Melos was supposed to be the HP-1?
smily_headphones1.gif

The Sennheiser goes in the second headphone jack
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Congrats Lextek, and welcome to Team Melos. It doesn't get much better. Only caveat now is that the next upgrade will have to be quite costly for to see an improvement.

Apr 27, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
Congrats Lextek, and welcome to Team Melos. It doesn't get much better. Only caveat now is that the next upgrade will have to be quite costly for to see an improvement.

Hmmm, Cary, Blockhead or Orpheus?????
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back