Just joined k7xx drop, need recommendations for budget dac/amp combo. SMSL M6 or fiio e10k any good??
May 22, 2016 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

icoX

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm thrilled to join the head-fi audio community, looking forward to expand my knowledge and gain invaluable insights from the gurus here!! 

I've just join the drop for the AKG k7xx, it would be the 2nd time that i dive into the world of headphones. So i'm still very new with these headphones/dac/amp stuff. 

My first headphones were the m50x, like the sound i heard but sold it after 1 week of usage. I'm not used to the clamping force of the headphones, too strong for my liking. Now however i do miss the sound i heard from the m50x. They were detailed and enjoyable, i'm able to hear new things from the songs that i listened frequently previously.

This time, i dive to the world of headphones again with the AKG k7xx hoping to get a even better music experience than before!! Heard they are comfy, hope i could get used to it this time!

Previously i paired the m50x with my asus xonar dx sound card but the sound card is dead and i'm left with onboard sound. I'm looking for a dac/amp combo to replace my dead sound card and also to power the k7xx as i've read that are much harder to drive compared to m50x.

My main usage will be on my pc for the akg k7xx and also my pc speakers which i will still be using. I'll need a dac/amp combo with line out for my speakers and headphone out for the k7xx.

I have did my research and narrow down to two dac/amp combos with match my budget.

They are the SMSL M6 dac/amp on massdrop or fiio e10k. I'm leaning towards the SMSL M6 for now but reviews are very limited online. The only few i found is good tho. 

The SMSL M6 (~143usd + shipping) is near max on what i could afford now. I'll guess my max i'm could spend now is 150usd for a dac/amp.

I would like to know if made a right choice or i'm missing out on any other dac/amp which is more value or better that fit my budget?? 

Thanks!

May 22, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 23
My Magni Uber drives my K7XX well....pair it with The Modi,which will slightly above your budget.

If you cant afford the DAC now just get the amp and wait on the DAC

May 22, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 23
ahhhh the magni modi combo, heard lots of good things about it. ~200usd is out of my budget =/

Would prefer to get a combo now for the time being as i don't see myself spending more on audio anytime soon. 

May 22, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 23
  ahhhh the magni modi combo, heard lots of good things about it. ~200usd is out of my budget =/

Would prefer to get a combo now for the time being as i don't see myself spending more on audio anytime soon. 

I cannot advise on the other combos youre contemplating as Ive never owned them,but do not underestimate the level of difficulty to drive the K7XX....it is only slightly less hard to drive than my HE-500,and def more amp picky too.

Best of luck

May 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 23
Get the Magni 2 Uber, then add a DAC on down the road. The Uber is nice because it has pre outs to connect your speakers :)

Historically, SMSL used to have build quality and reliability issues, so I've stayed away from their stuff.

May 22, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks guys for your advise on the driveability and smsl build issues, will take note of that!!

Quote:

I cannot advise on the other combos youre contemplating as Ive never owned them,but do not underestimate the level of difficulty to drive the K7XX....it is only slightly less hard to drive than my HE-500,and def more amp picky too.

Best of luck

Get the Magni 2 Uber, then add a DAC on down the road. The Uber is nice because it has pre outs to connect your speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Historically, SMSL used to have build quality and reliability issues, so I've stayed away from their stuff.

Had looked further into the getting magni amp first dac later option but its a no go. It's around 180 usd including shipping (i'm not in the us), already out of my budget just for the amp alone. 

Looks like i'm stuck with these two options(fiio e10k or smsl m6), will search more for user reviews to decide!

May 22, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 23
Well, your budget (<$150, new or used) puts you in a tough spot. Most good DACs or headphone amps by themselves cost that much. There are some good, cheap combos (1 is discussed below), but how they'll sound w/the AKG's is a crapshoot.

I own the Fiio E10K. It's super-popular for good reasons: it sounds way better than a $75 DAC/headphone amp has any right to; has a good, though small volume pot for the headphones; a 3.5 mm line-out (unfortunately not controlled by the pot--you have to control volume at the speakers or via PC); and the bonus is a bass-boost switch that actually sounds pretty good, if you're a bass-head (I did w/o that).

I did a lot of listening of my AKG 553 and Phillips X2 Fidelio on the E10K and was happy. Eventually I moved up to separate DAC + amp setups, and yes, they're definitely better--but I still use the E10K for travel.

FYI, I don't think I ever got the E10K over ~11.5/12 loudness on the volume pot on either headphone. Above that would be crazy loud...

I checked the E10K specs (200 mV output capacity; use w/headphones from 15 to 150 ohms), and it would seem well suited to your AKGs. "seem" (you just won't know 'til you try)

As for the SMSL 6 someone else mentioned, it doesn't have a headphone amp built in/no headphone output (from what I can tell).

I say get a FiiO E10K new, save yourself $70/75, then later, when you have money, buy the bigger stuff.

May 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 23
E10K and E17K have similar maximum power and voltage outputs. E17K has a higher current output. Theoretically that might give it an edge, but I would be surprised if the difference is much. You probably should just take your pick based on other factors (form fact, price, portability, etc.).

May 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 23
E10K and E17K have similar maximum power and voltage outputs. E17K has a higher current output. Theoretically that might give it an edge, but I would be surprised if the difference is much. You probably should just take your pick based on other factors (form fact, price, portability, etc.).

I read a review somewhere of the akg k7xx and it's says k7xx is more current hungry vs voltage. Not sure how correct is the reviewer.

Someone recommended me e17k, didn't know it has a higher current output. How much of a higher current does e17k have over e10k?? I did went to fiio website before to compare the specs between them but didn't know what am i looking at lol.. i only see that the e10k and e17k have the same max power. Where what do i see for current?? 

Form factor not important for me tho i prefer the the e10k as i'm using it on a desktop.

Price, i could get both fiio products locally. e10k (~86usd) vs e17k (~158usd). almost double the price for e17k but still in my budget.

Portability not important. mainly using on my desktop pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back